Brake pad anti rattle shims

We bought our Fabia 1.0 TSI se used but with ony 1500 miles from a dealer, reg is a 19 plate but in July of that yearwe purchased the car  in early 2020, since then it has beenserviced at main dealers untill the first MOT when I took over the service shedule, last year pads and discs were ok but this year pads were down and discs rusty so purchased good quality pads and discs .  when doing the rear pads there were  no shim in the carrier and none supplided with the pads but had new caliper holding bolts,most cars that I have worked on have these shims fitted but none on this car just straight metal pad to carrie fitting  with the spring on top of the pad, no one has worked on the car only serviced by dealers in that time and never any brake work carrided out is this correct fitting for this model or should the shoms have been fitted from new, I'm not a numty diyer have always beed around cars and sorted many peoples problems out that most garages have given up on but this one seems strange any comments if anyone has come across this no shim rear brake pad ? just a pont the rear of the pads have a peel off patch that then leaves a sticky surface that sticks to the back of the carrier and the front face of the piston I've got no rattle or issues when running or when braking and handbrake works fine just wondered what this was about

Well, I tried buying a set of these SS inserts/shims, and I couldn’t fit them on the carriers, so dimensions have changed to reflect “no shims now”.

that was on a 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, I just serviced the brakes on 2019 Arona and yes, still no shims.

4 hours ago, Murdockman said:

just a point the rear of the pads have a peel off patch that then leaves a sticky surface that sticks to the back of the carrier and the front face of the piston I've got no rattle or issues when running or when braking and handbrake works fine just wondered what this was about

This is used instead of using shims.

I am up to 73K miles on original brake disks and pads from new but they are now more than half worn.

I do remove, clean, regrease and refit them once a year though.

Thanks. AG Falco