Rear brake shoes replacement ( Axle stand placement)

Hi I`m trying to do my wife's rear brake shoes on her 2010 Fabia mk2 1.6 tdi, I have searched everywhere and cant find any info on where to place axle stands to get the rear of the car off the ground. Some sites say to place the stands on the rear jacking points, how can you do this if the jack is there lifting the car, I`m so confused and when looking under the car I can`t see any safe place to place the stands any help please with pics would be very much appreciated 

To be honest you will probably not get the car high enough with the car jack to get stands under the rear wishbone anyway, if you cannot get hold of a trolley jack the only way is to use the old method and use good strong wooden short planks  to support the weight under the rear wishbone or get the wheel off and use a thick plank across the top of the wheel and use this under the botom damper mount /wishbone, I purchased a trolley jack and 2 stands with rubber pads that go under the jacking points to support the car and jack the rear up under the wishbone bought the jack and stands from SGS and they have paid for themselveles many tmes doing work on the car and being safe

Hi Murdockman I was'nt very clear I have a trolley jack and axle stands, but where to put the axle stands if the jack is lifting the car at the jacking point can I put the stands below the rear shock and springs

You can put the stands at the end of the beam tube or under the shock thick plate whatever is easier for you, I bought 2 axle stand pads that fit where the jacking ponts are so you have plenty of room under the car to work , you can jack the car up under the end of the beam or under the damper plate to get the stand in, my old MK2 had rear drums and i found Bosch brake shoes a lot cheaper than the genuine Skoda ones but some times if you searh around you can purchase a kit from some online dealers that gives you the shoes cylindrs ans springs in a set,I found it a lot easier to take the rear hub off to do the brakes but you can manage to do it with the hub on bu it's a bit of a fiddle, be careful when removing the hub as the ABS sensor is right behind the hub and if you damage this no ABS some people loosen the abs sensor and just pull itback a bit to make sure but you don't have too just go careful

• Like 1

Hi Murdockman 

I found a set of rear pads and fitting kit on evilbay for £35 so I will be able to build up the brake shoes ready to straight on I have also heard that the hub nut should be replaced and some say no you can reuse the old one do you know if it is reusable. here is the link to the shoes I got  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263022634526