Coolant level dropping & no heat

Hey there, I've got an issue with my Octavia and seen a few different things in these forums so not sure which way to turn. Was hoping someone who's been here longer may be able to advise.

Essentially my 2013 Skoda has suffering from low coolant, which I've been topping up but the rate at which it lowers is accelerating. It also looked a big brown when I checked (though no signs of a head gasket failure).

I took it to a local garage (non Skoda) who flushed and replaced the coolant but couldn't find a leak. They suggested it could be:

- Water Pump (they thought it was working but not 100%)

- EGR cooler issue

- Heater matrix issue

They did also notice that there was no hot air coming from the blowers. However they're really not sure and kinda suggested we just have to start replacing bits and seeing.

Wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

This might be symptom of expansion tank silica bag rupture. Check if your expansion tank reads G13 mit silicat. Then there is silica bag and this can rupture and those little marbles will block the heating matrix.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/coolant-blown-out-from-expansion-bottle.483783/

Above link has very good thread about this. Your car's symptoms -> No heat, Brown coolant and loss of coolat might indicate this is the problem...

I had a 2013  Audi A3 2.0 TDI (would be the same engine as OP) loss of coolant, no heating. The coolant loss on mine would usually be the morning after a long drive, get in the car and would flag a low coolant warning.

Was a blocked heater matrix. Got an OEM one of the bay for £30 and replaced it myself. I'm by no means a mechanic, but i'd seen threads on the Audi forums saying that garages were quoting upwards of £600 for replacement as it was a 'dash out job'. we'll it wasn't and i wasn't going to pay that much for it.

I can't comment on replacement in an Octavia, but can't imagine the process is too dissimilar. centre console and glovebox out what all it was in the  A3

lots of videos on you tube, just drop the heater motor & slide it out. Make an open tube to funnel the water into a container to save soaking the carpets

• 3 weeks later...

I've weirdly got similar... the difference is I'm still getting heat from the vents!

There's a significant drop in coolant every 4 - 6 weeks (but only in hot weather, it didn't do it over the Winter) The inside of the Expansion bottle is brown! But... as I said up there, The Heater is still blowing Hot Air when asked to!

I had Skoda investigate, they pressure tested etc... found no problems, Had the Water Pump replaced wit the Cam Belt as recommended, and nothing has improved! There was talk of a system flush etc... but they quoted me £1100 ... I think £50 for a couple of bottles of Coolant keep the level where it's supposed to be, and replace the Tank for a clean one (another £20) and I've saved over a grand!