Electrical issues, TRC light and engine light and coolant sensor location

Hey!

I have been struggling lately with my sisters car skoda superb mk1, AWT (1.8T) 2004. (Manual) 

She bought it one year ago and problems started around christmas:

First code p0170 and replaced lambda, problem stuck. MAF went bad -> replaced and engine light was gone.

Now the engine light is back with code p0130 and p0135 and I replaced lambda again. Both times it was ready fit lambda by NTK. Engine light is gone for now. (200kms driven today)

Around january/february  TRC light came and I cannot remember the fault code but I replaced the unit under the backseat and the TRC light comes back every now and then. Any ideas what to fix / look for?

Is there some common places that wires or water might get into that both of those ecus or something similiar?

And so on to the coolant temp sensor:

Is it really behind the engine and you cannot see it, but you can like.. feel it?

C clip and pull?

Any tips to this?

I have tried to look from forums for other posts + youtube but they all keep giving octavias or audis which are similiar but not the same.

cheers for advices already!

- Mike

Forgot to mention: going to replace thermostat and coolant sensor since gauge needle is at 0, or well bottom maybe.

I have VCDS available in our garage.

The 1.8T wherever it is used in known for stuck open thermostats causing lambda issues due to the ECU responding to the lower coolant temperature by adding fuel.

• Thanks 1

I have replaced the one in my 1U AUQ engine three times in 17 years and 80k miles, always with genuine. The one in Mrs Crashers Polo 9N GTI failed at 30k miles.

• Sad 1

Update: 

Engine light off and thermostat replaced. I took out the throttlebody off first and I had nice access to thermostat housing bolts. Took around 1h 30minutes for me.

Now I need to lure out the TRC issue!

• 2 months later...

Wanted to bump this for other people:

today when trying to get rid off issues with 01221 airbag code (another thread) solved the TRC issue which is actually straight forward with water ingress problem.

Sealed the pollen filter and gave floor mat some drying. TRC light gone.