Time to sell? 2015 Spaceback 1.6 TDI

I am the happy owner of a 2015 Rapid Spaceback 1.6 TDI.

I have just had some mechanical work done on it and was totally shocked at the cost of the work from my trusted mechanic due to the price of 'hard to source parts'

A new exhaust could only be sourced from Skoda (£300+VAT+Fitting).

I needed a new wheel bearing and my mechanic stated the only one they could source was essentially an expensive top of the range part. 

Is it time to sell? 

Is the Spaceback model a difficult car to source affordable parts for? 

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think they are taking the wee wee out of you.

Just searched front wheel bearing for my Toledo (2014) and plenty to be had for sub £30. Never fitted one but it seems they fit the Polo, Ibiza, Rapid etc, a standard fit maybe.

On another bearing plenty aftermarket bearing for my Mazda for around £75, dealer OEM want about £175. Maybe it's a dealer price part they can't get aplenty hence the price??

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Burn29 said:

Is it time to sell? 

Can you really not make that decision yourself without asking strangers on the internet to tell you what to do?

Exhausts rarely need replacing on modern vehicles which is why you never see any Fast Fit Exhaust centres like you once did on what seemed like every corner, nonetheless there are many aftermarket exhaust manufacturers, perhaps the Rapid Spaceback one is special and because it was a niche low volume vehicle they did not tool up for it.

TBH £300 for a genuine Skoda full exhaust system sounds like a bargain to me and its very good that they are still stocking them for an 8 year old vehicle, compared to the prices for plastic body parts, differentials etc its very correct.

Your wheel bearing would have been available cheaply but many garages wont take the risk using cheap parts, they fit OE ones sourced from TPS and get a good discount.

Did your exhaust really need replacing or was it the garage that said so? At the age your vehicle is the clamp between the front and rear sections usually fails through rust but the system is usually in superb condition on a TDi engine.

• Groan 1

5 hours ago, Burn29 said:

I mean, that answers your question really. If you are really worried about being overcharged have a search for the bits that have been replaced and see if the prices reflect what you have paid. If they don't then maybe it's time to find a new mechanic.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Can you really not make that decision yourself without asking strangers on the internet to tell you what to do?

Why do you always have to be confrontational? I know things are tough for you in FR but there's no need to take it out on everyone else.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Burn29 said:

I have just had some mechanical work done on it and was totally shocked at the cost of the work from my trusted mechanic due to the price of 'hard to source parts'

I needed a new wheel bearing and my mechanic stated the only one they could source was essentially an expensive top of the range part. 

SKF is top quality and £45 is not expensive.

It's easy to fit because the wheel bearing has already been pressed into the hub by the manufacturer.

It's a very common part as it's used in a huge number of VAG cars not just the Rapid.

SKF front wheel bearing kit 6R0407621A

thumb?id=1362679&m=0&n=0&lng=en&ccf=94077841

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/skf/1362679

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

It is totally reasonable to ask members of a Skoda forum if others had experienced expensive / 'hard to source parts' on their Skoda cars

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

Exhausts rarely need replacing on modern vehicles

TBH £300 for a genuine Skoda full exhaust system sounds like a bargain to me

Did your exhaust really need replacing or was it the garage that said so? 

It was only rear back box section that needed replacing. Hence the shock at £300+VAT+Fitting. Yes it was knackered, the back bax was cracked and corroded. 

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

...perhaps the Rapid Spaceback one is special and because it was a niche low volume vehicle they did not tool up for it.

This was my assumption and the whole reason for me asking this question to see if others had the same thought

3 hours ago, Burn29 said:

It is totally reasonable to ask members of a Skoda forum if others had experienced expensive / 'hard to source parts' on their Skoda cars

Indeed but the question that you asked was "is it time to sell" which only you can decide, were you talking about investments I could understand.

Your second question asked if your vehicle was difficult to source reasonably priced parts for which I responded to at length as did others.

I agree with Petrolcan, if you are a happy owner you have answered your own question, the consensus here seems to be that parts can be found at very reasonable prices but if you use a mechanic their getting discounted parts and selling them at retail price (which can often be higher than the main dealer price) is part of their profit.

I wonder if like me you have not had to replace an exhaust in decades or indeed have had many parts fail since choosing Skoda, and like me become stuck in the past regarding parts prices, every time I buy building materials I am shocked but the reality is I spent 12 years on a project and then 5 years running it (no building work) then 3 years of effective confinement, the stuff I am buying today I may have last bought in 2015 and back then there was close to zero inflation, if the price of something had gone up I would look elsewhere and find it for what I had always paid.

I think if you sell and buy a newer vehicle then any parts you may need are likely to cost significantly more, the manufacturers prices for some things are astronomical, it takes several years for the aftermarket to provide cheaper offerings and then several years of competition between multiple aftermarket suppliers for those prices to fall to the correct market rate when the customer has a choice.

I would just chip in on the exhaust aspect.  When I was checking out my 2014 Toledo recently I noticed the rear silencer was rusting really badly.  No garage I went to could supply a replacement - of any kind - it was dealer only (rear silencer only remember) at £240 + fitting.  I spent ages searching online and got a part from Lithuania delivered for £81.  Obviously I've got to fit it myself or pay someone to do it.  The fact is that these cars are relatively rare so an exhaust will be pricy.  Wheel bearings however are common as muck and can be had for tuppence...

• Like 2

I'm getting an excuse today that a certain Mazda part is on its way from Japan in a container, ETA at the end of September. So I won't get it sent to me until early October. That's been on order since April with an often used supplier but more and more times now they are struggling sourcing parts, they say, hmm?

Same part as I placed an order with another supplier today for other parts is available for just £2 more, it's in stock at a supplier in Scotland.  Ordered 2.30pm today (Thurs) arriving tracked post by midday tomorrow (Fri) So it's not even a pattern part, pucker Mazda part, so why wait for a shipment from Japan. Someone is making excuses for poor parts availablity.