Richard Macfarlane

32 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Is the outer CV free from the wheel bearing yet? 

It's not clear to me from that description.

Photo?

The outer CV joint is out of the hub and so the drive shaft if free at the outer end. The inner end has five flange bolts removed but one has had the head drilled out. i have knocked the inner flange with a hammer and tried to get wd 40 into the flange.

32 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

All I can suggest is pull harder. Maybe wrap/tie a rope around the driveshaft and pull from a way away so you can get a better body position?

I pulled harder and the inner cv boot came away and surly I might pull the inner cv joint out. One of the bolts have been drilled out but i don't think its that. Can they rust together?

Thanks.

47 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Give it a good tap all the way round with a soft faced hammer.

I have done that. First a light tap and then harder. I put a drift between the two faces and tried to tap them apart but here is no movement at all. I applied some toilet lime-scale remover along the gap so the acid breaks up any rust but realised this could cause damage to the components. It's hard to see. Is WD40 the best thing to use? It doesn't seam to break up hard rust.

thanks 

If you pull on the shaft and there is the stub of one bolt in the flange then it will jam, they are fitted bolts in close tolerance reamed holes.

Refit the bolt opposite or better still all the other bolts but leave them loose, then pull away and/or give it the good news with your hammer of choice, that way it will withdraw in alignment without jamming, once it has moved a little it will come off easily with the bolts removed.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2

On 11/08/2023 at 21:35, J.R. said:

give it the good news with your hammer of choice,

2 hours ago, richardmac12345 said:

I have got the cv drive out but in doing so broke the bearings and cage they sit in.

You chose too big a hammer!

• Haha 1