Best dash cam ideas

aidy55

Today a passing lorry let a load of stones and debris hit the front of my car. My bonnet, bumper, side panels, headlight glass covered in small chips. 

Too expensive for respray and its not extreme damage so hoping a good paint correction will sort it. 

I should of went after the lorry but situation didnt allow it. 

Anyway i think a dash cam would have been ideal for this scenario, has anyone fitted one to a skoda octavia, im hoping for something oem, discreet etc

I've got the Blackview 2 chanel one too. Just feed thd wires behind the rubber trim and pick up a switched live from the internal fusebox. Because of their shape they sit quite nicely under the rear view mirror and on the internal trim above the rear hatch. Had mine for a few years with no issues apart from if I let it use gps to set the time it is 12 hours ahead so I just use the manual option. The latest version of the app seems to work well and I can see both the live feeds and saved files quite easily. The only issue you might have is mine's a bit fussy on which micro SD card it uses

On 14/09/2023 at 19:21, aidy55 said:

Today a passing lorry let a load of stones and debris hit the front of my car. My bonnet, bumper, side panels, headlight glass covered in small chips. 

Too expensive for respray and its not extreme damage so hoping a good paint correction will sort it. 

I should of went after the lorry but situation didnt allow it. 

Anyway i think a dash cam would have been ideal for this scenario, has anyone fitted one to a skoda octavia, im hoping for something oem, discreet etc

I use the Viofo 129 Pro Duo which I've hardwired in.

It's okay, gives 4K front and 1080 rear, but if buying now, I think I'd go for the A229 Duo, which is 2K front and rear, which I think is a better choice.

4K is all well and good, but the file sizes are a bit large, which can make sharing footage a bit of a pain.

I could set the footage to 2K front, but then that seems a bit daft to have spent extra on the 4K set-up and run it in 2K.

Sadly, the hardwire kit is different for the A129 and A229, or I'd be tempted to buy the A229 and just swap the units while leaving my existing wiring untouched.

Generally you can get by with something that records at 1080p and read out number plates as and when you have an event. Nothing's infallible, so the belt and braces approach of reading out number plates is worth taking, IMO.

• 5 months later...

I have bought and hard wire installed a Dash Camera to my Karoq.

Benefits are,

Small reduction in Insurance Premium.

Permanent record of driving in case of accidents.

Visual and audible presentation of Speed Limit

visual and audible warning of overspeed.

visual and audible warning of all types of speed camera.

visual and audible warning of common mobile speed camera locations.

Free update of Firmware and Software for life.

Check out the Aguri range of Dash Cams.

• Like 1