Installing a dual dashcam?

Bap33

Hi,

I wondering whether I'm gonna buy and install a dual dashcam (front+rear), since the number of driver thinking they're on a track or downing something else (texting SMS, etc.) is increasing too much these last years.

I'd like something OEM style as much as possible. Thus, here are 2 possible kits (probably exactly the same product):

https://www.aliexpress.com/p/shoppingcart/index.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.50cd8aor8aorWQ

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-skoda-superb-iii-2015-2019?variant=42631939555500

4K front cam + 1080p rear cam + 128Go SD card looks a good choice.

Does any of you already has a dual dashcam installed (OEM looking)? What have you chosen? Are you satisfied with it? 

TIA

Edited by Bap33

4 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Hi,

I wondering whether I'm gonna buy and install a dual dashcam (front+rear), since the number of driver thinking they're on a track or downing something else (texting SMS, etc.) is increasing too much these last years.

I'd like something OEM style as much as possible. Thus, here are 2 possible kits (probably exactly the same product):

https://www.aliexpress.com/p/shoppingcart/index.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.50cd8aor8aorWQ

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-skoda-superb-iii-2015-2019?variant=42631939555500

4K front cam + 1080p rear cam + 128Go SD card looks a good choice.

Does any of you already has a dual dashcam installed (OEM looking)? What have you chosen? Are you satisfied with it? 

TIA

I would strongly advise to get something decent - no point in having mediocre camera, as last thing you want is to be a part of an "event" and then you are unable to read number plates. I am quite happy with Viofo A139Pro (2ch only) - it aint cheap but check reviews online and you will see why it's worth paying extra.

7 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Your aliexpress link doesnt work.

Regarding an OE look, maybe a dismantled rear dashcam fitted inside a 3d printed casing would work?

Here is the right Aliexpress link:

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005005136875262.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.3cfd378dROwlSf&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

3D printer could be an option, but I don't have one. 😁 I was more thinking I might buy a set of the original rear view mirror housing, where the hole the mirror arm could be the hole for the rear dash cam lens... 

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/3v08586349b9-foot-cover-for-right-wing-mirror-skoda-42277.html

The pair doesn't cost more than 10€...

5 hours ago, lmb said:

I would strongly advise to get something decent - no point in having mediocre camera, as last thing you want is to be a part of an "event" and then you are unable to read number plates. I am quite happy with Viofo A139Pro (2ch only) - it aint cheap but check reviews online and you will see why it's worth paying extra.

Do you mean a 4K front cam hasn't got a good enough resolution?

Edited by Bap33

15 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Do you mean a 4K front cam hasn't got a good enough resolution?

I mean that non of these cheap 4k dashcams is real 4k, they are uprated to 4k. Secondly, resolution is not everything (but deffo helps).

I would recommend to watch just thease youtube videos to explain things in more detail and show the difference

1) this will give you some more understanding of the "technology" and why it makes no sense to overpay:

2) but this one will give you in depth review of Starvis2 dashcam and explain in details why it is so good and why it is worth the money.

Again, do not take my or other users word for it - just watch some dashcam channels, and pause some videos to read number plate, signs on the side of the road, etc. Oh, and check how many number plates you can read at night.

If money is tight, get whatever you want (as per video (1)). But if you can spend a bit more look for a dashcam with Starvis2 - front and rear. Do not waste money for inside cameras IMHO.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I finally bought and installed this one:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHzt4Jl

Plan to need several hours to install it if you buy the same or any equivalent. Videos on the website are a joke. The way to remove the housing around the inside rearview mirror is not the right one. You have to remove both left and right parts before rear housing indeed.

Pay also attention to fix the video cable to existing harnesses with tie-wraps so it doesn’t disturb airbags if they need to blow out.

I´ve routed the video cable along A-pilar, then down under front and rear door steps, up along rear seat backrest, behind upper plastic part of boot side panel, then up inside D-pilar, thru the rubber hose arround tailgate cables and rear washer hose, and finally thru the upper part of taigate.

I only had to drill a small hole on the rear window housing to make the rear cam cable go thru it.

I had to screw the cam, since the double sided tape doesn’t stick enough on the grained plastic.

Pictures coming soon.

Test pending. ;) 

• Like 2

First tests are pretty encouraging. :) Under daylight though rainy weather, plates can be read easily on my smartphone.

At night, it’s hard to read plates on my smartphone. But I need to download the videos on my laptop to look again on a bigger screen. It might be possible. 🤔

Tests stiil pending. Pics coming soon. ;) 

Some pics after installation:

Front cam:
image18.jpg

... which doesn't come to low under the inner rearview mirror. Hence it doesn't hide what happens ahead. Rear cam is quite small at the top of the tailgate window...

image19.jpg

But it's not well integrated, at least... not in an OEM spirit:

image17.jpg

But I'm thinking about it to arrange that. ;)

Pas encore fini d'analyser la qualité des images enregistrées. A suivre...
  • Like 1

Inner rearview mirror housing ordered in black colour (for less than €10) to make a small housing around the back cam.

I hope I can find some time to install them quickly once received :) 

On 17/09/2023 at 08:57, UndertheRadar said:

Using Blackvue 750s 2ch. No issues and doesn’t stand out on screens when fitted. View on phone rather than screen on camera itself, so blends in far better and doesn’t distract at night. 

Also using the BlackVue. Not cheap but very pleased with it. Hooks up to phone easily. They have an Outlet store on eBay where I got a refurbed one from with quite a good chunk off. Hard wired it into the FuseBox.

I’m trying to find a dashcam setup that is simply.

2 tiny cameras front and rear then you run the wires to a central hub in the glovebox or such. Eliminates the need for the big bulky camera on the screen and makes a cleaner look.

they exist, just can’t find a decent branded one