Any arborists?

Aspman

We had a pile of trees planted a year ago and our biggest tree has just snapped in half.
It's a bit sad as it's a rare native (forgotton what now).
It was supposed to be a 3m tree but when we got it it was closer to 6m.
I had it on a long bamboo pole to support but the pole disintegrated the other week so I put in a couple of extra taller stakes to help but in todays winds it's snapped off about a meter above the stakes. Both parts are totally seperated so no lifting back up etc.

just wondering if it migt recover or if it's most likely a gonner. There is only one small branch left and a couple of sprouts of newgrowth.
It's nearly planting season for bare root trees so we could replace it in a couple of months.

Edited by Aspman

Hi Aspman, if it's a native I don't think it will survive 😢Worth giving it a chance though.

I've had success with hard-pruning a mature apple tree, but less so with a silver birch.  

• Like 1

It’s some form of Alder but an unusual one.

i wonder of my sturdy bracing at the bottom maybe backfired. Didn’t allow enough flex. Too late now😭

Edited by Aspman

if you cut a clean cut at about a 45deg angle around 6inches below the break, it MAY coppice back. the cleaner the cut the better, the slope will stop water pooling on it and breaking down the wood hopefully for long to recover. also feed it with some liquid plant feed into the ground around it over the winter and into spring. not too much or too strong, but it will give the root network a fighting chance at getting enough nutrition to give a go at life.

its always going to look a bit odd if it does come back, but thats character in a tree too. 

• Like 3