Thoughts on using carwow or similar to buy discounted new Fabia,

hetty1

Hello everyone,

I have been looking at the new Fabias in  SEL trim with a view to buying one. I intended going down the part exchange route and buying a 1 year old or less with low mileage,t he 110bhp with the 6 speed manual gearbpx,  I had assumed that the higher powered version came with rear disc brakes as standard but I was wrong, its an extra cost option. Very few of the used Fabias I have seen come with this option and I would like this on my next car.. Using car wow( or something similar) and getting quotes has shown me that I could get a brand new car for the same sort of money   as I would pay for a used one with the  same trim etc including the rear disc brakes.

I havent bought a new car for many years now and that was another brand altogether so I am a bit rusty If I go down the car wow route there is the one Liverpool dealer who participates. my usual Skoda garage does not but I dont see that as a problem. I could either part exchange or sell my car for cash to my usual  dealership. I cant see any particular disadvantages but I could be wrong, it has been a good while since I  bought new and things do change.  Have any Briskodians used car wow to buy a new Skoda and if they have did the process go smoothly or were there any snags?

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, hetty1 said:

Very few of the used Fabias I have seen come with rear discs and I would like this on my next car.

Why? IME the main practical effect of rear discs is to give you more frequent bills for rear brake replacement,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hetty1 said:

I have been looking at the new Fabias in SEL trim with a view to buying one. I intended going down the part exchange route and buying a 1 year old or less with low mileage, the 110bhp with the 6 speed manual gearbox, I had assumed that the higher powered version came with rear disc brakes as standard but I was wrong, its an extra cost option.

Rear disc brakes can corrode and need early replacement for low mileage users, so it's nice to see that all Fabia MK4 models except for the powerful 150HP engined versions come with rear drum brakes as standard...with rear disc brakes being a £100 option.

The rear disc brakes are only small 230x9mm, so it's not as though you are losing much in rear braking power, if any.

The benefit of the rear disc brakes might come if you drive the car around a race track and find that the rear drum brakes start to fade after repeated very heavy braking and after many laps of the racetrack. But for most people using their car for sensible road use, I expect rear brake fade is going to be very rare. Most of the braking is done by the front brakes, so even if the rear drum brakes did start to fade you would still have the powerful front disc brakes to rely on.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hetty1 said:

Have any Briskodians used car wow to buy a new Skoda

Ordered a new car in late July of this year from a ( VW & Skoda ) main dealer. 

I knew exactly what I wanted so did a Carwow quote first, and took it with me to MY preferred car dealer.

( Not the Carwow preferred dealer. )

I told them the car and the factory extras I wanted and said can you match this Carwow price.

They said NO, but could do a bit better. 😀

If the dealer is honouring a Carwow quote then I would expect some commission going from the dealer to Carwow.

Took less than an hour from entering the showroom to ordering and leaving.

I am not selling / trading in anything so was not stitched up there.

Was told to expect delivery in December 2023.

Emailed two weeks ago with a build week 37 of this year. 😮

So, do your homework first, go at a quiet time and ask the question.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

My apologies to George, you are absolutely right. The post should have been in either the general section or the Mark 4 Fabia section, Thanks AG Falco for your very thought provoking post. I found your post to be very helpful and I will be  following your advice.

• Like 1

As per @AGFalco posting, that is what I did back in 2015 when we replaced my wife's 2002 VW Polo, I think that I got quotes to supply from 3 online brokers, but, if you have a car that still has quite a bit of value, then off loading that first some way out with the dealership chain must be the way to go, if I were you I'd be approaching a dealership for a price to hand that car over and walk away, doing that will get you see how little you can claw back by doing that!

Edited by rum4mo
Changed from "as above" to "as @AGFalco"
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hetty1 said:

I will be  following your advice

So decide on the car and extras that you want and will enjoy / use / put up with and this time plan to keep to car for a long time. 😄

Soon you wont be able to buy a new ICE car.

Thanks. AG Falco