Skoda dealer battery replacement burns car computer(s)

ro0ter

Hi all,

Exactly at it sounds, I took my car to the official Skoda dealer (in Germany) FOR A ROUTINE CHECK (service now was shown in the HUD) and after checking my battery they decided to change it (it was indeed 6 years old and it went through some unpleasant discharges a couple of years earlier). After more than a week of not using the car, the engine would indeed not start very easily. But I never had to use a starting robot, eventually to top-it up every not and then.

I own a 2017 Skoda Kodiaq, 4x4 DSG, 190 HP, 7-seater, Style.

They changed the battery and afterwards they called me, telling me the car won't start anymore.

They also stated that the car was on the charging robot for the whole time (with old battery, without any battery and with new battery). I noticed they changed the screws holding together the battery clamps... odd....

I've seen some of the errors in the car dashboard afterwards (errors I have never seen before like "Gearbox faulty.  Stop vehicle safely." etc) and more than ten errors in the Navi screen (didn't get a chance to look at them).. they told me the electromotors (they told me it's more than 1 motor... looolll???) won't spin.. I have no clue what they did and they're not sharing. I only remember they were checking all fuses with a light bulb and 2 wires... and when they pushed the start button, the car turned its motor radiator fan to maximum, like I've never heard it before.

After 4 days they tell me the main engine controller is toast. Moreover, they insist the main engine controller was broken BEFORE I came to them and that is why I came specifically to them. Jesus Christ.... anyway... That's not true, they were the only ones that had an available slot in the week before my vacation. The car went there on it's own wheels. Actually I drive more than 300km this weekend alone (yes, before taking it to the Skoda dealer). I have never had any motor-related error before, other than since random low pressure or maybe acc function restricted due to low voltage. They even told me the motor computer was broken since 2 years ago when I took the car to the Skoda car dealer (in Switzerland); that it what they saw in the system.. The Swiss dealer (service April 2021) did some software update and radar adaptation, based on the errors in the system, according to the factory recommendation (TPI 2047101/6). I just visited them today, they said there was NO problem with the car... second service time me the same (serviced Sept 2022).

The only computer-related problem the car has is in the passenger seat computer - all buttons work, all motors work but memory function does not. It has 7 adaptation errors that can't be cleared, after the adaptation is performed (either manually or with the VCDS) the errors pop back and if you try to reset the controller, it jams, you won't be able to ever communicate with it (it never responds) and will eat the battery to 3v, if not disconnected... this I've been told by other service. It only happened twice. Let's leave it like this for now.

Even funnier (or sadder) is the fact that they told me (in an email !!!) that the factory sustained the motor control unit may get toast when changing the battery... I'm not sure what kind of parrot they think I am, but I'm not buying this. Additionally, this is not some break pad that needs replacement ever few years... It's not normal to pay 2500 Euro extra with each battery... in my opinion the computer should be automotive grade and not be bothered by short transients... It's either someone screwed things up or Skoda should not be allowed to build cars anymore...

Yes, I've worked in industrial automation and automotive electronics for 10 years. Embedded is also my hobby.

Has anyone heard such bed time stories? I'm sorry, everything I've heard is extremely hard to believe...

Both services my car visited at in the last 2 years (this is the 3rd year I have the car) told me this could only have happened if they wrongly connected the charging robot (plus to minus and viceversa)...

I don't have any proof. And I can't produce any.

How can I not pay the 2500+ euros? I don't have these money..

Thank you!

• Sad 1

The car was running when you dropped the vehicle off. Now it isn’t.

They broke it, they fix it. If they believe damage was caused previously then ask them to liaise with the other Skoda retailer directly and sort it out between themselves.

Presumably you’ve also already spoken to Skoda Germany? What have they advised?

• Like 1

Hello Ro0ter, welcome to the forum. Very sorry to hear of your problem. This sounds eerily like @yesheadjon's story. I do not know what the Swiss or German legal position would be - but clearly your car was running before the dealer got their hands on it. That would be my position - they should return your car in the same condition.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your replies.

It's really disturbing, as my car didn't have ANY problem with ANY motor controller... the only "special" controller was the passenger seat controller (memory not working, controller entering battery killing mode when sent a reset).

I am really curious now to read the battery management system log, not sure if they can erase that one as well, but most certainly they've already erased all faults they time me the car had (all modules red). Would it record funny voltages/spikes? I know it registered battery charging...

As a customer, am I entitled to request these logs from them? They told me they discussed everything with the factory and asked for help. Will the factory give this to me? It's my car, after all... and they charged the freaking long screw and long nut from the battery positive pole clamp, what in the world could they have done???.... I have photos from before I took the car to the service and after.

Good afternoon @ro0ter I would think that you are fully entitled to receive any information from your cars system - plus any supporting data regarding this 'event' that the dealer responsible has in their possession. This sort of ECU failure clearly is not normal for the many battery replacements being carried out - often by the owners themselves. I am more that a little concerned by your reference to the use by the dealer of a battery support 'charging robot' during this battery replacement - this was not necessary, and I wonder if they managed to reverse the connections at some point?

In any case, I would maintain that their actions have resulted in serious damage to a vehicle that was operating correctly before delivery to them. If they refuse to accept this, I would suggest engaging legal assistance.       

Why would they replace the battery terminal screws? Where are the old ones? 

Anyone else get the feeling they have either reverse charged the old battery or fitted the new battery back to front and caused a fair bit of damage.

• Like 1

Not sure the battery can be reverse-fitted, there's practically no room for that and the battery leads are very short.

Anyway, it seems the car is repaired, the module has arrived..

Am I entitled to request the old car computer? I would like to take our for an expertise. How can I confirm it's my previous one? Does it have some serial number printed on it which matches the serial number from VCDS scans?

2 hours ago, ro0ter said:

Not sure the battery can be reverse-fitted, there's practically no room for that and the battery leads are very short.

Anyway, it seems the car is repaired, the module has arrived..

Am I entitled to request the old car computer? I would like to take our for an expertise. How can I confirm it's my previous one? Does it have some serial number printed on it which matches the serial number from VCDS scans?

Yes of course you can ask to keep it, it's yours as you paid for it originally.  The garage doesn't own the part it takes out, unless you have specifically ordered an exchange unit where old part goes off for reconditioning 

• Like 1