In hindsight…

So having taken ownership of a 68 plate mk3 fabia montecarlo 2 weeks ago I decided belatedly to look into its history… (I know!)

it failed 2 MOTs due to tyres worn down to the metal bands! Tyres aside any thoughts what I should be looking out for? Obviously previous owner wasn’t  what my dad would call “mechanically sympathetic”! Or as I would say, a total t*t!

car otherwise lovely just worries there may be lurking issues which I’d rather raise with dealer asap. 

interesting that despite most of car being very clean the unberbody was caked in 2 inches of thick mud! Rallied?

thoughts welcome!

4 minutes ago, Smiorgian said:

Tyres aside any thoughts what I should be looking out for?

Worn suspension, lack of servicing, low (or high) coolant and/or oil levels...

In which context the last time I saw a tyre that was through to the bands the ball joint on that front corner was totally FUBAR.

Thanks guys. No service history from Skoda but have receipts from a local Indy place. 

you would hope that the ‘Skoda approved’ extensive vehicle checks would have picked up anything nasty with suspension or steering (?!). But judging by the amount of mud I had to jet wash from underneath I doubt they’d be able to have seen much. 

seems to drive and handle well so I’m hopefully worrying about nothing. 

cheers. 

• Confused 1

There are no Skoda Approved extensive checks. 

EDIT.  Nice they have this published now.  Factory Reset is nice. 

There are the Finance, and accidents if someone actually had Insurance claims on a damage.  Even Dealers might have a car crash and repair with no insurance claim.

There is a 'Workshop inspection',  but a car might come from another dealer or auction and show as a Used car MPC (Multi point check) as done and never go on a ramp where it is being sold from. 

So the Websites are interesting, all the assurances, a Premium Paid for a Skoda, VW. SEAT., Audi Approved used car and crap is sold.

Various threads on this forum exactly to that affect.

Kerb Side Auto paint touch-ups that wash off with a power wash, or just a 2 bucket and sponges wash.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 11.16.06 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-08 11.16.23 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-08 11.16.36 AM.png

SKO-UsedCars-Multipoint-May2022.pdf

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Smiorgian said:

No service history from Skoda

There will at least be a pre delivery check when new?

Do you want me to check?

Thanks. AG Falco

Sorry, yes your right. There was  PDI recorded in 2018. Then independents until dealer did inspection service prior to my collection. 

I’ll be back at dealers this week for 2 minor snags. Software update to head unit, tried it myself and no luck (see other threads…) and wingmirror adjustment knob. When left mirror selected it never responds on first touch , always takes a second attempt. Minor details so if these are my only probs then I’m chuffed. 

first long drive on Tuesday, Wrexham to Watford which should flush out anything else…

• Like 1

Just as an update… today did 360 mile round trip. A5 through wales them M54, M6, M1 to Watford and back. Rush hour both ways. 
more than happy with the below economy figures. Not driving like a granny just sensible and as quick as safely possible. 

so no worries on that front!

IMG_6190.jpeg

On 10/10/2023 at 19:24, Smiorgian said:

Just as an update… today did 360 mile round trip. A5 through wales them M54, M6, M1 to Watford and back. Rush hour both ways. 
more than happy with the below economy figures. Not driving like a granny just sensible and as quick as safely possible. 

so no worries on that front!

IMG_6190.jpeg

very impressive mpg, ive never seen anywhere near that and im running the same car, model and engine xD.

Highest ive achieved is 62mpg but I average 50 😞

whats your secret?!

No particular secret. Just get up to a cruising speed around 60 and keep as constant as possible. Read the road ahead to anticipate and minimise quick changes in speed. 

I’ll be checking this against brim to brim top ups obviously. Expect it to be a few mpg lower in reality. 

PS. Running ‘super unleaded’ from BP since I took ownership. Standard E10 may not be so effective. (?)

also tyres at ‘eco’ pressure so 2.4 bar. 

Edited by Smiorgian

3 minutes ago, Smiorgian said:

No particular secret. Just get up to a cruising speed around 60 and keep as constant as possible. Read the road ahead to anticipate and minimise quick changes in speed. 

I’ll be checking this against brim to brim top ups obviously. Expect it to be a few mpg lower in reality. 

1 minute ago, Smiorgian said:

PS. Running ‘super unleaded’ from BP since I took ownership. Standard E10 may not be so effective. (?)

also tyres at ‘eco’ pressure so 2.4 bar. 

I do all these things! I run Unleaded 99, tyres at 34-35 PSI, and often on the 35 mile commute to from work i’ll sit with the cruise sat at 60!! Suppose, living up north our roads aren’t renowned for being dead flat.

1 hour ago, Smiorgian said:

Wales ain’t particularly flat either! 😁

when I said ‘cruise’ to be clear I don’t have CC fitted to mine. 

ahhh I get you, Perhaps as you don’t use CC you’ll be getting great economy by “pulse & gliding” which is meant to be the most economical way to drive. I cant be arsed with that, Stick cruise control on and relax (sort of)