Car Park Fires, Transporters / Ships, any fires, an EV,s involved or not thread, were they the cause just there and so made fighting the fire harder.

Ootohere

15 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He lit rags to warm up the fuel tanks of diesel buses before they went out on cold mornings and swept the floor.

You only held your breath for 30 minutes, you let me down 😒

Thank you oh wise one, you are totally wrong on both points. 👿

6 hours ago, Rooted said:

I linked 3 TDI ones in a thread in this section in the past.

I can find ones just like an easy thing using key words for 2 TDI and maybe 2 petrols.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 13.04.17.png

I used the search facility here on the forum, searched for keywords TDI fire and then again TSI fire.

1 hour ago, lol-lol said:

That is what I said.

Please state your qualifications ?

I'll start.

BSc including thermodynamics. 2-1 honours obtained.

Also Mech Eng OND with distinction in thermodynamics and 4 year apprenticeship in Marine Engineering and practical in world's largest diesel engines.

And you ?

And I was just confirming that I know that and never implied that they did, other than in an emergency.

Qualifications, I'm an electrical engineer with OND with distinction and HND, so in response to your later post, I'm not a mechanic.

52 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He lit rags to warm up the fuel tanks of diesel buses before they went out on cold mornings and swept the floor.

You only held your breath for 30 minutes, you let me down 😒

Use to do that in Canada when it was -40 (same in C and F as it is the crossover point)

Then we got car engine block heaters and little posts in the parking lot which I first thought were the crappiest EV chargers I had seen then it twigged after a couple of seconds what there were.  But then this was Alberta where minus 40 is not unknown and even when most the coolant is Glycol it is starting to go solid.  

image.jpeg.a06d764fe784be226fd1f6c188253330.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

And I was just confirming that I know that and never implied that they did, other than in an emergency.

Qualifications, I'm an electrical engineer with OND with distinction and HND, so in response to your later post, I'm not a mechanic.

So no degree then ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Use to do that in Canada when it was -40 (same in C and F as it is the crossover point)

Then we got car engine block heaters and little posts in the parking lot which I first thought were the crappiest EV chargers I had seen then it twigged after a couple of seconds what there were.  But then this was Alberta where minus 40 is not unknown and even when most the coolant is Glycol it is starting to go solid.  

Give me a couple of months and I will quote you on that and you can deny ever saying it like Graham.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

@lol-lol Correct, I never went to university, I went to technical college for 8 years.

And you never came in before the drivers to light fires to warm the engines and sweep the floor, did someone hack your account or did you just make it up?

8 years for an HND, were you a slow learner?

I have an OBeng 😀

Edited by J.R.

58 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

@lol-lol Correct, I never went to university, I went to technical college for 8 years.

Did mine mainly at home as did OU whilst working as customs officer, a couple stints at Bath Uni and UWE in Bristol. Recommend OU big time in so many ways.

Many jobs do not consider candidates unless at least 2-1 degree, even a Desmond is not at a level to be considered, tough market.

Edited by lol-lol

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

And you never came in before the drivers to light fires to warm the engines and sweep the floor, did someone hack your account or did you just make it up?

Nope, you are totally wrong, I did used to go into the bus garage early on freezing days to help get the buses started, but we never lit fires under the fuel tanks as you wrongly claimed, to have done that would also have burnt many buses to the ground, apart from being dangerous.

Glow plugs were not even an option in those days so we used a rag, soaked in paraffin, tied in a knot on a long welding rod, lit the rag and went round to the buses and held the rag over the air intake filter while cranking the engine. The flame was sucked into the intake manifold and helped to warm the combustion chamber up and the engines would then start up, rather like the tractor shown in this video at the 9:00 mark you can see this in action. 

As to sweeping the floor, again you are so off on this you might as well be on the moon. It was every Thursday morning the entire garage had to have the floor scrubbed to remove any oil drips etc for health and safety reasons for the drivers and conductors safety. Everybody on the engineering staff had to get involved with this process of moving buses, spraying water and caustic soda crystals on the floor and then driving a scrubber over the floor to scrub the floor clean of any oil and suck it dry, and then drive the buses back into their parking spots again.

The garage floor was the about same size as the Wembley Stadium pitch, so once again, some of the so-called brains and know it all on here, clearly do not have a clue about what happens in the real world outside their ivory towers.

I have no need to make things up, I have lived the life for real, not just a theory boy.

Edited by Graham Butcher

1 hour ago, lol-lol said:

Did mine mainly at home as did OU whilst working as customs officer, a couple stints at Bath Uni and UWE in Bristol. Recommend OU big time in so many ways.

Many jobs do not consider candidates unless at least 2-1 degree, even a Desmond is not at a level to be considered, tough market.

Honestly, you have no idea just how many university graduates I have worked with, many have all the theory tucked away in the brain boxes but could not actually hack it on the shop floor because they had zero practical training/experience and many of them ended up doing far more mundane jobs such as stacking supermarket shelves as the actual job was far harder than they had imagined.

I on the other hand, never got the degrees like they had, but I was able to do the job because I did it the old-fashioned way, on the job training with theory at college and practical on the shop floor. I have also been approached by a number of electrical/building services engineering consultancies about joining them, but decided against it.

I was working on a project redeveloping the old Woolwich Arsenal into the huge upmarket residential estate it is now about 12 years ago, and I had one of these consulting engineers with the university degrees you talk about telling me and a contractor to stop complaining and follow the design brief. He only wanted to have 2 phases from a 3 phase supply in the same room of an apartment which is a no-no to have 415v potential within the same room of a domestic building where it is untrained people using the power, but if that wasn't bad enough, he had designed the 2 phases to be terminated at adjacent 13A socket outlets, which was a twin switched socket designed to share a common 230v feed on a ring main. 🙄

By the way, what on earth is a Desmond?

Edited by Graham Butcher

15 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Honestly, you have no idea just how many university graduates I have worked with, many have all the theory tucked away in the brain boxes but could not actually hack it on the shop floor because they had zero practical training/experience and many of them ended up doing far more mundane jobs such as stacking supermarket shelves as the actual job was far harder than they had imagined.

I on the other hand, never got the degrees like they had, but I was able to do the job because I did it the old-fashioned way, on the job training with theory at college and practical on the shop floor. I have also been approached by a number of electrical/building services engineering consultancies about joining them, but decided against it.

I was working on a project redeveloping the old Woolwich Arsenal into the huge upmarket residential estate it is now about 12 years ago, and I had one of these consulting engineers with the university degrees you talk about telling me and a contractor to stop complaining and follow the design brief. He only wanted to have 2 phases from a 3 phase supply in the same room of an apartment which is a no-no to have 415v potential within the same room of a domestic building where it is untrained people using the power, but if that wasn't bad enough, he had designed the 2 phases to be terminated at adjacent 13A socket outlets, which was a twin switched socket designed to share a common 230v feed on a ring main. 🙄

By the way, what on earth is a Desmond?

A 2-2 level degree, or two two, or tutu, like cockney ryming slang, Desmond Tutu.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

8 years for an HND, were you a slow learner?

I have an OBeng 😀

No numb nuts 🤣, in case you haven't worked it out, it was day release, 1 day a week the rest was on the job training as an actual apprentice, and it consisted of a number of courses, craft practise which was what contractors used to do in the 1960s, then it was onto a OND course after successfully passing the first one, then onto the HND, and also onto a teaching course as the bus company I was working for (The National Bus Company) of which Eastern National was the one for my region of the country, were planning on opening up their own training college in house, and I was going to be part of that. That all fell though when the buses were deregulated and then became the **** sh*w we have today, and all those plans were gone.

Here are some details of the buses. SCT'61 - Eastern National (sct61.org.uk)

8 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

No numb nuts 🤣, in case you haven't worked it out, it was day release, 1 day a week the rest was on the job training as an actual apprentice, and it consisted of a number of courses, craft practise which was what contractors used to do in the 1960s, then it was onto a OND course after successfully passing the first one, then onto the HND, and also onto a teaching course as the bus company I was working for (The National Bus Company) of which Eastern National was the one for my region of the country, were planning on opening up their own training college in house, and I was going to be part of that. That all fell though when the buses were deregulated and then became the **** sh*w we have today, and all those plans were gone.

Here are some details of the buses. SCT'61 - Eastern National (sct61.org.uk)

Took me 6 years to do my degree as it required about 15 hours a week on top of doing the 40 hour working week but at the end virtually no student debt. Much to commend doing further education when working.

• Like 2

I was also around when my uncles and others still lit a fire under lorries, tractors and diggers on very cold mornings in the North East of Scotland.

And painted molasses on the lorry tyres and put coarse salt or sand on to get up slopes.  Delivering or collecting at farms & the distilleries and where they got the molasses from.

Salt from the harbours or they were delivering it.

They had oil filled greenhouse heaters plugged in under the engines overnight where there was electricity and my dad did the same with his car in the garage overnight. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rooted said:

I was also around when my uncles and others still lit a fire under lorries, tractors and diggers on very cold mornings in the North East of Scotland.

And painted molasses on the lorry tyres and put coarse salt or sand on to get up slopes.  Delivering or collecting at farms & the distilleries and where they got the molasses from.

Salt from the harbours or they were delivering it.

Would that be 1962/3, I remember it was so cold that diesel could start to gel at 32F (0C)  and if it got to around 15F (-9.5C) it froze so lorries and tractors that were kept outside really took some persuasion to start, and I remember seeing photos in the paper of fires being lit under lorry fuel tanks and engineers using blowlamps on fuel lines to thaw them out, that was a year and a bit before I left school and started working on the buses. We still went to school though, these days they would shut the schools.🤨

It could be very cold anytime.

My mum can tell you all about 1962/63 and the road closed from Banff to Aberdeen and for how long. (10 weeks.) Who was in hospital maybe having babies or not getting there or back for weeks.

Also the Typhoid outbreak in 1964 but that was after winter.

There are many stormy and severe wintery years oop north. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

No numb nuts 🤣, in case you haven't worked it out, it was day release, 1 day a week the rest was on the job training as an actual apprentice, The garage floor was the about same size as the Wembley Stadium pitch, so once again, some of the so-called brains and know it all on here, clearly do not have a clue about what happens in the real world outside their ivory towers.

Please stop with the insults.

I too did 8 years day release to finish with an HND but it was and is a 4 year day release course hence my asking if you were slow.

In my case I was immature at 16 and being alone in the world without parents went off the rails, I failed N1 and the lecturers, rightly in hindsight, refused to let me retake, in reality refused to have me back in their classes.

I dropped down to Technicians 2, well below my actual capabilities, then had to go through T3 and T4 and T5 get a Full Tech Cert then do a years bridging course to get onto N3 where I should have been at 17 but was now 22 and karma meant now had to put up with other 17 year old immature versions of me disrupting the class, I was 24 before I got the HND I should have had at 20.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

No insult at all, just explaining that I did the basic C&G course first of all. I never did any O levels etc, I had no choice, I had to leave school and help support the family so to gain entry to the higher levels of technical education, I had to prove that I was capable of doing it and thus not wasting resources. 

So sorry if you thought I was trying to be funny, I assure you that I wasn't, I hate conflicts of any kind. Perhaps if there was more talking in the world then there would be less fighting going on and more cooperation. 👍

Edited by Graham Butcher

So Num Nuts is no insult at all and despite you following it with a laughing smiley you can assure me you were not trying to be funny, so what does that leave then? Not to mention the "so-called brains and know it all on here, clearly do not have a clue about what happens in the real world outside their ivory towers."

I would simply be happy if you would refrain from the personal insults, as a bonus we would not have to suffer the subsequent denials.

• Sad 1

Make your mind up, whats it going to be, no insult at all, you were joking or you can assure me that you were not trying to be funny?

You get to choose one, they are mutually exclusive.

The easiest would be to behave correctly in the first place. No time like the present for starting.

@J.R. Oh, so let me see, so you think you can say things, that may be unintentional but, they are still insulting to me, but do I complain about it, no, I just give you the benefit of doubt. But if I inadvertently do the same to you, you want to ball me out on it?

I always try to treat others how I would like to be treated, with respect, so its over to you, make your mind up.

• Haha 1