Confused dot me

Just out of interest...

I've been dealing with my immediate families insurance for 40years and extended families insurance for what must be 30 years now. Pre internet and comparison site days, I'd call all the brokers to get the best insurance deal. It use to take a good few days to accumulate quotes. Over that time I thought I knew most of the tricks to get a better deal - I'm your sterotypical Scot :D

One thing has been consistant tho, there's never been any formula that says one car is cheaper to insure than another apart from the goldern rule - an automatic was more to insure than a manual. Take two cars exactly the same - one manual, one auto and the auto would be more expensive to insure. ( I'd have thought it would have been the other way round but statistically Autos must be more expensive for an insurer ).

One myth is that insurance is based on a car's group rating. I never found that to be the case in all of those 40 years. A car that's in a higher insurance group is often cheaper to insure than one in a lower group. I've never been able to work out the purpose of insurance groups other than say an age restirction when renting a car. The fact below support this. Oh Boy, do they support it !

So move on to 2023. I'm gobsmacked by what's happeing right now in the insurance industry. If anyone tells you it's because this, that or the other then they're liars. I doubt even the insurer themselves know, I think it's likely all down to some algorithem their computers use. Picking up from another thread, the insurance form my Kodiaq last year was £330 and the renewal is £366. I've checked around and the cheapest quote with another insurer is £425. The prices then go skyward. The majority are in the £650 - £750 range. RBS Direct line was approaching £1000. Saga? they quoted me over £1200 😲   I've never seen such a range of prices all for what is basically the same level of insurance cover.  The 'big guns' such as Churchill were quoting £700, Esure £650.  Rarely do I use the same insurer 2yrs in a row but it's not unheard of for me to stick with the renewal - obviously that's a no brainer this year. But before I do, I thought I'd run a little experiment. If the renwals have jumped so much for my Kodiaq - what would it have been like for other cars I've owned or almost bought?

So using Confused.com as the standard and keeping everything consistant other than the car itself, the results are:

Kodiaq Sportline 1.5 auto 3yr old, valued £27k  ( ins grp 17E ) -  Flow Insurance - £425.75

What if I'd still been driving my old car. The Octavia was actually cheap to insure, I paid a fraction over £200 a year.

Octavia 1.4 SEL estate manual 6yr old, valued 11k  ( 17E ) - Flow insurance - £448.36

Answers on a postcard who can account for that price compared to the Kodiaq !  It's insane - it breaks all the rules. There isn't one single reason that the car should be more expensive to insure.

Karoq Edition 1.5 auto 4yr old valued £22k ( 16E ) - Flow Insurance - £414.05

So only £10 cheaper than my current Kodiaq Sportline ! And £34 cheaper than a much older and cheaper Octavia ( which has the smallest insurance group rating )

I almost bought a 5 series estate rather than the Kodiaq. At the time the insurance was approx £100 extra...

BMW 520d mild hybrid Msport estate auto 3yr old, valued £26K  -  Aviva £722.89

The difference is now £300 but to be fair most of the quotes are around this price. The vast majority of quotes for my Kodiaq were also around this price.

Out of interest, the day I went to order the Karoq was the day the Kamiq arrived in our showrooms. If I could have amanged to fit golf equipment in to the boot I'd have bought one. It would have been a cheaper car to buy and run then the Karoq. From memory not sure the 1.0 was available is top spec DSG at the time so it had to be a 1.5...

Kamiq SEL 1..0 auto 4yr old valued £17k ( 14E ) -  Flow £405.92

So £8 less for a cheaper car, much lower insurance, smaller engine than the Karoq I eventually bought?  Or £20 less that my current Kodiaq Sportline which is £10k more expensive, much larger, much higher insurance grouping, much faster etc.

As I said above, if anyone can come up with a reasonable idea why insurance prices are what they are, then they're a better man or woman than me.

Also just bought a little Yaris to replace the Karoq which came with loads of safety systems as std equipment and has the speed of an overweight snail ( non turbo 3cyl engine )

Toyota Yaris Cross  GR Sport 1.5 hybrid ( 12E ) - 3mth old  valued £27k - Flow £466.55

That's more expensive to insure than any of the Skodas despite being 2 insurance groups lower than the Kamiq is !!  :D   It's £20 more than the same insurer want's for my Kodiaq which has the same value FFS. 17E vs 12E

What's the point of insurance groups? What does the value of a car matter? What does the age of a car matter?  It's all b0llocks. :D

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm consistently baffled by the quotes I get when I (try) to shop around.  I've been with Admiral since at least 2006 and every single year, without fail, they have been the cheapest for me with every car I've had.
One thing I have found insurance companies like is to be consistent with your vehicle and to keep it long term, they really don't like change.
Age is also a major factor as I've been told 26 - 55 is the "sweet spot" as younger and elderly drivers are a bigger risk.
Your locale is one of the biggest factors I find that'll effect the premium, if there's a lot of crime and claims, then that'll put your insurance up.
Overnight location is just for show as I have found that unless you say your car is kept in a locked garage, the premium is unaffected.
Modifications is another mystery altogether!  Engine tuning and styling modifications will obviously increase the premium, but when I declared my Miltek cat-back exhaust & Ram-Air induction kit, Admiral were only wanting the admin fee to update the policy!

Obviously take what I say with a grain of salt as this is only my own experience.  It could be all determined by tea-leaves and osteomancy as far as we know!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baroket said:

One thing I have found insurance companies like is to be consistent with your vehicle and to keep it long term, they really don't like change.

Translation:

Insurers really dont like you keeping a vehicle long term as they cannot stuff the premium up with a lame excuse about undrewriters, higher risk, more expensive repairs (choose your own lie) like they will do when you change vehicles.

• Like 1

A Comparison Site used maybe at 3 am on a Sunday bank holiday weekend might come up with a Price to Insure that seems unbelievably cheap.

But you might go with what they offer, go ahead being sure all your info is correct and honest, pay or take the monthly deal and get a bargain.

You might get calls from others, Monday or Tuesday you will maybe need to 'finish' the Insurance Declaration, but you are getting the Insurance at that price at 3 am on Sunday.

You can  try different Comparison sites. 

& parked on a driveway is not always cheaper than parked on the road.  Location location location / postcode, and vehicle.