Upgrading to latest VRS

Looking for opinions and advice please. I bought my Octavia VRS 245 new in 2019 and its been a fantastic car (except for the sunroof - nothing but problems).

It's now time for a change and I'm considering the MkIV as an upgrade. Has anyone here made a similar move? I'd love to hear opinions. Also, are there any things to look out for? Any problem areas?

Many thanks in advance.

Well mine was pretty much fine from day one, a couple of glitches, but they vanished until an download to the infotainment system screwed it up.

Got the download for 1941 firm/software and had no issues ever since. The only thing that I have found is that the car can hesitate when pulling away from a stop, the DSG doesn't kick in for a 1-2 secs after that it's fine, I suspect that could be tweaked out of it by someone in the know.

Reliability on everything has been perfect, no mechanical issues, glides along at 70-80 beautifully and more if you're not careful! 🤭

I've got DCC on mine and it handles very well, fuel isn't too bad either managed to get 350 out of a tank of standard unleaded with a does of Millers EcoMax in it, it did register 390 with SUL in it too. Been averaging about 34-38 on moderate runs, 40+ on longer distance runs to the West Country & South Coast

The adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist have tried to kill me a few times on my 10 month old unit but I've learned to adapt to these foibles.  If anything, they've both made me more alert when I drive.

Apart from the above, so far so good (fingers crossed, bottle of holy water at the ready and piece of wood at hand to knock on).

Agree with TheWanderer's other observations and comments.  The car's a great cruiser (tyre noise on rough tarmac aside) and quite economical - and I came from a BMW 320d.

My 2 cents worth is that the MY23 Octavia is a great machine. Mine's not a VRS, rather the 'Style' fully optioned with lux & tech packs and sunroof. Thankfully it also has the 8sp torque converter trans. That got me away from the 7sp DSG which I hated for its lag in my previous Golf. Don't know why they're persisting with DSG in the VRS & GTI, but if you're used to it then your proposed upgrade should be a joy!

Hi I've got a Jan 23 plate petrol manual gearbox vRS hatch in race metallic blue with the winter pack option(heated s/wheel, nozzles and windscreen) also with DCC.

I came from a BMW M140i and waited 14 months in the end.I love the car its just about quick enough, handles superbly for such a big car and in 6000 miles I've averaged over 30mpg.On a motorway run its easy to get over 40mpg.

Its not been without issues, the dreaded software is annoying but not a game changer.it will randomly switch on and off during the start of a journeys but will settle down.Im waiting to try the latest 1941 version.

I've ceramic coated the car and added a few mods i.e Racingline airbox, turbo inlet pipe(sounds much better, and im sure its given me a bit more poke) Maxton rear valance-looks stunning this is how it should of come from factory.So when everything is ok its a cracking car.

One month 73 plate VRS estate 245 petrol with no extras.

I've actually been electric for the past 3 years and just got sick of living my live around charging.

I do about 25k to 30K a year and the lost time was a killer.

I have had German for the past 20 years with a mix of BMW/Audi/Mercedes and the VRS may not have some of the little refinements it certainly beats them on value.

2000 miles in and MPG has averaged 40 mpg.

Normal Mode

Motorways 45-50 

Around town 25-30

Sports mode about 12mpg  :)

A few glitches with the software and disappointed with the £125 of subscriptions to get the car activated fully.  Looks like the majority of manufactures are doing this now.

The ACC is a bit mad as it seems to work in reverse??? most systems have the line closer to the car on the dash the closer the distance it will maintain to the car in front, not mine???? but it does work.

Overall a comfortable car to drive.

I added a hard wired mirror dash cam with a rear camera (stuck to top of back window) as it didn't come come with a reversing camera.  The reversing mirror USB slot didn't have enough amps to run the mirror dash cam. Very happy with the Mirror Dash Cam and the wires tucked away well.

Pelsee P10 mirror dash cam £120

Hard wire kit (with battery protection) £21

128gb card £11

Plenty of power from the engine and DSG when needed and  certainly looks good.

Most comments have been 'oh you got an police interceptor car' or 'how long will your license last'.

Definitely a great balance of speed, comfort, space etc. for a Dad who wants to have a bit of fun still.

I'm just over a year into a VRS TSi, Irish spec which is higher than standard UK spec (winter pack, 19" and DSG are the main differences from memory). Mechanically no issues. Software I get the odd reboot of the infotainment on startup.

There's a few foibles that some put down to electronic glitches but are not really. On cold mornings, there will be odd front collision sensor errors but that's due to the sensor covered in condensation. I've gotten a few front parking sensor errors from cr@p being positioned just perfectly to block a sensor!

Fuel consumption can be from 6.7L/100km for long runs to the worst of 15L/100km (semi spirited driving). Town is typically 10 to 11L/100km.

It's very comfortable for long runs. I've had 5 hour drives and had no back ache. 

Overall I'd recommend one 

Edited by Hairy_Joe
  • Like 1

Had my petrol RS (only sort we can get in Oz) for just on a year now .Observations

• electronics mostly stable (entertainment system freaked out twice. Was fine on restart)
  • ride ,handling and comfort fine (though supplied Bridgestone tyres are pretty harsh and noisy)
  • not impressed by fake engine noise (sorted out with OBD11)
  • bought some alloy gear change paddle extensions (really made the car much more fun)
  • really dumb controls for sunroof (touch control slider is not great)

Overall I really like this car

• Like 1

Can’t thank you all enough for your feedback and I’ve pretty much decided to get another vRS. Given this car is at least a couple of years old now, it must be due for a minor facelift or refresh. I might wait for that before pulling the trigger. 

• Like 3

It's entirely your call, but the way things are going, the spec could change with the facelift.

It should improve seeing as to how the model's in the mid stage of its life but it could be that certain features are made optional or even deleted.

The styling will certainly be tweaked and refreshed and as this is a very subjective area, it may not meet with your approval.

I had a 2018 245 Tsi vrs manual & upgraded to a race blue Tsi 245 manual in September 2022 (same spec as greendog but with a reversing camera).

Very pleased with the car & I'd recommend it to anyone - excellent blend of performance, practicality & comfort. 

I think I've been lucky as far as the software glitches & haven't suffered with them like some others, I had a short period with the infotainment restarts but they went away presumably following an OTA update. 

Comparing my 2 vrs's I'd say definitely spec the DCC because it makes a big difference. I find my current vrs a more comfortable & smoother car to drive in normal mode but a switch to sport every now & then is always good.

Electric handbrake with auto hold is also an improvement as is the ACC (which works fine for me).

Couple of minor negatives, preferred the alcantara seats in my old car & having to switch off the fake noise & lane assist is irritating. 

Overall very happy though.

• Like 2