2010 1.4TSi info needed

Hey everybody,

I was presented with a chance to buy skoda octavia mk.2, 1.4TSi from 2010, with a mileage of 30k km. Yes, the number of zeroes is correct. Could you point me at some articles about the engine reliability or known issues? Thank you in advance.

Adrian

Hello,

As car is under such  low mileage, it's too early to face any major issues.

From my experience as having the same model, have in mind the turbos usually fail (wastegate actuator) on that CAXA engines and despite of replacing whole unit, you can search for specialized techs that can repair it.

Also the timing chain is suspicious to   start sounding  (when  engine cranking) and this is supposed to be after 150+ km..

Others have reported injector failures but in my country and as far as I know lots of persons owning the same, it is said that this is a rare thing.

Generally this engine is very good when combining power and fuel efficiency.

In my opinion this 1.4 matches most the character of this family car.

I'm at 210+ km since 2009, and I have remained very satisfied.

I've made lots of transformations, including LPG kit (STAG) since early 2022.

• Like 1

Thank you for your response.

I've read about people changing timing chain twice in 40 000km due to it stretching (dad's colleague), on the other hand there are reports of the engine going okay for 100 000km. I've heard there are kits that replace some parts of the timing system and eliminate the problem, however that's an additional cost of cca 1,5k €. Do you think the other problems are manageable/ worth it for what the car can offer? I know it's a very much abstract question and there are lots of variables, but just your opinion. Thanks

I have a similar car, with the CAXA engine (1.4TSI) currently at 180K km.  No issues whatsoever (owned it since 56K km).  Any questions let me know.  Its a very pokey yet economical engine, loves 7,500km oil changes, i'd recommend a oil flush if its been sitting around doing little for 13 years.  It probably has the OAM gearbox, which the mechatronic oil can be changed every 60K km  (easy DIY, 1.7L of fluid - 15 mins).  Replace the brake fluid if it hasn't been done.  The timing chain is not an issue if the oil change intervals (thus the tensioner) has been kept good.  I get no rattle, no issues.  I have vcds and can measure any issues and there is none.  Never had a single code.  I get 5.3L/100km on average, 6.3 if i give it a bit.  The 1.4TSI with the 7 speed DSG is a really good product IMHO.  30K km is brand new.  But change all the fluids.   Here is the service/maintenance manual mate.

Skoda Octavia II – Maintenance.pdf

Edited by Okedokey
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1
  • Confused 1

It will be a DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG which means no Oil changes of the 2 oils required.

But being a 2010 there was the World Wide recall in 2012 to change the synthetic oil to mineral and a software update.

That was a Service Campaign started in 2014 in Europe,  '34 F7'  there should be a sticker in the spare tyre well showing if done and when and by who. 

9 minutes ago, Rooted said:

It will be a DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG which means no Oil changes of the 2 oils required.

But being a 2010 there was the World Wide recall in 2012 to change the synthetic oil to mineral and a software update.

That was a Service Campaign started in 2014 in Europe,  '34 F7'  there should be a sticker in the spare tyre well showing if done and when and by who. 

The mechatronic oil can be and should be changed.  Easily done every 60K km.  The recall does not apply to the OAM.  The breather cap (1) is easily accessible behind the battery (i highlighted the wrong one in the legend).

Screenshot 2023-10-27 200726.png

Screenshot 2023-10-27 200859.png

Screenshot 2023-10-27 200958.png

Edited by Okedokey

Leave the Oil in the MCU alone, and when you want change the oil in the Box.  

This is service campaign '34H5' which in Europe was started in 2017 on DQ200,s from 2013 and 2015 and was just a Software Update.

Recalls 3 times now in Australia on these.  

Screenshot 2023-10-27 13.35.04.png

Edited by Rooted

Disagree, the oil comes out dark and dirty - 15 minutes of 1.7L oil, good insurance.  Mine has 185K km, not a single issue.  Your opinion is that it's lifetime fluid.  Like all 'lifetime' fluids, thats not good advice.  The recall is valid but not for everywhere and totally depends on where you live https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall  Despite your website link, there have been no recalls for this in my country, nor have I had a single issue.

10 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Leave the Oil in the MCU alone, and when you want change the oil in the Box.  

Screenshot 2023-10-27 13.35.04.png

Edited by Okedokey
  • Groan 1

No my opinion is not that it is a 'Lifetime Oil',  but you buy a used car you have not had from new you do not go right into touching the DQ200 DSG because you do not know what went before. 

Autocar was wrong and never retracted as i have posted since the 'Service Campaign was called in 2014 in Europe including the UK. 

Mate, provide the recall number, plus "dont touch it" is still terrible advice.    All opinion.  My 60K km mechatronics oil change is both cheap, good insurance and easy.  If you want to disagree do it.  But don't be so arrogant about saying its wrong when you provide poor citations and no evidence that it is detrimental.   Also, do you own this vehicle?  Had any long term experience?

Edited by Okedokey

'34F7'  as i posted to start with.    2009-2012.    Then '34H5' on 2013 after the factory oil changed, to 2015 preventative.

Google search just to show not even half the threads for the past decade of which i participated, because of the knowledge on what happened within VW Group. 

5 minutes ago, Rooted said:

'34F7'  as i posted to start with.    2009-2012.    Then '34H5' on 2013 after the factory oil changed, to 2015 preventative.

Google search just to show not even half the threads for the past decade of which i participated, because of the knowledge on what happened within VW Group. 

Doesnt affect Octavia... try again https://www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au/recalls/rec-003548  Again, there are multiple OAM gearboxes.  Not all the same.

Edited by Okedokey

I posted there are now 3 recalls in total Australia on the models.

All in New Zealand got new MCU,s in 2012.        You seem to pick some random km for the DSG and for your 1.4 TSI Oil changes yet not say which country you are in. 

Screenshot 2023-10-27 14.19.47.png

Edited by Rooted

What are you on about?   You still haven't provided ANY requirement for the issue you're claiming.  All of the citations you've provided EXCLUDED Europe and that's where the OP is.  My advice is based on 30 years working on VAG vehicles,  a professional aircraft mechanic and direct experience with the vehicle in question.  Please provide the recalls for Australia.  Exact numbers please.  Otherwise it is just nonsense.  Also, the oil I replace the mechatronic oil with, the root cause of you coniptions, is mineral based, as per the part number updated.  So your worries are really strange.   Provide some citations beyond forum posts please.  

Edited by Okedokey

Europe / EU-UK was excluded by VW Group until they had to do the Service Campaign starting 2014.

If they did not do them in all countries then so be it.   Not all DQ200,s required the 'Workshop Actions'  or Recall Action, bit later on it was found that there 'Voluntary Recalls' missed DQ200,s that were affected. 

?

Which country are you in @Okedokey,  I am in the UK but that does not limit my knowledge to what went on here.

Actually most came out on the next issues, 2013 on from Russia. 

PS

I have no interest in what Australia & New Zealand got, but what that had was an Authority  / Courts that could Tear VW a new hole. so VW got their arse in action. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/439395-the-story-of-the-famous-dq200-clutch-slip/page/11

Screenshot 2023-10-27 15.54.50.png

Screenshot 2023-10-27 15.55.54.png

Edited by Rooted

Versus 17 posts, 8 of which confrontational.

That's what is great about this forum, there is both room for and tolerance of either.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a seat Ibiza with 7-speed DSG box. Contacted SEAT ireland about the recall, they didn't seem to know anything about it other than tell me "it doesn't apply in Ireland". However, when I went for a service in my SEAT dealer, lo and behold the gearbox oil was changed to the mineral version, at no extra charge.