Warning light for Light Bulbs, but no bulbs are out?

Hey. I recently had a warning light for a light bulb being blown appear on my Octavia, but no bulbs are out?  Anyone got any ideas?

I recently replaced a front light bulb but it is working fine.. could it not be happy with it?

Cheers!

You really need to get the car scanned with something like VCDS, Carista or OBD11 to see which bulb is causing the problem. However as I own a MkII Octavia my money is on it being a faulty connection on one of the DRL bulbs. In my experience the  brass plate that connects to the rear of the bulb wears through the solder and can cause a bulb out warning to trigger even though the bulb does light.

• Like 3

Permanent or intermittent warning?

Did it happen immediately after replacing the bulb?

Did you replace the bulb because of a bulb warning?

Usually a poor contact with a bulb.

I currently have a warning which Carista tell me is a failed number plate bulb. Both are lit whenever I look. Will remove the bulbs to clean the contacts when I have the time in the next week.

• Like 1

Check the wattage of the bulb you replaced is exactly the same as old one. I put a normal 21/5 stop tail bulb in my Octavia and warning light stayed on. I then found out that they use 21/4 watt bulbs and that one watt makes a difference. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Permanent or intermittent warning?

Did it happen immediately after replacing the bulb?

Did you replace the bulb because of a bulb warning?

It started happening randomly for a few weeks, then the main right hand headlight bulb went, which I replaced, but the light didn't go away

The warning is constant even when the lights aren't on  

Edited by RobSuf

I see you have an estate, check the rear high level brake light, it may have some failed LED's in the cluster throwing the dash light, mine did this, I just lived with it as it was a ball ache to change.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that on my MK2 the Maxidot display indicated which bulb was showing as an error, IIRC it was always my left front headlight but it was always functional.

That said the Yeti does not indicate it unless I go through a couple of sub menus to "Vehicle Status", this option is only shown when there is a warning light illuminated and something to report, otherwise it just aint there!

On the Yeti its always the LH rear light which again is always working perfectly when checked, the warning light comes on now and again seemingly without rhyme or reason.

On 08/11/2023 at 20:12, RobSuf said:

It started happening randomly for a few weeks, then the main right hand headlight bulb went, which I replaced, but the light didn't go away

The warning is constant even when the lights aren't on  

That suggests it may be a brake or reversing light? All VAG cars I have had, have only shown the warning lamp once you've used the circuit in question.