A/C condenser leak?

bmbmdmb

I have noticed some green fluid on garage floor. A bit guey too. I had a look under car and there are green drips under front bumper. Condenser looks ok (no exterior holes) other than it is wet at bottom front right of it (driver's side, UK). The union at bottom seem suspect.

Fabia vrs mk1 07

I just replaced the radiator and condenser on my other car. This one must be feeling left out... 

Does the Fabia havens low pressure cut out to save AC compressor from damage? Best not use it until replaced etc?

It looks like a bumper off job? 

Cheers in advance for any input.

New condenser and new o ring seals? Anything else to pamper the car withIMG_20231112_105733.thumb.jpg.901b2cc2aee187abca1bac07bfdb9603.jpgIMG_20231112_105714.thumb.jpg.6639a2701594c79cb5f5dda148f21ff4.jpg? I found a lot of bolts, brackets were rusted and 'obsolete'. Even a radiator hose (most common fail one out of thermostat was a 2 week wait). 

Any idea what shape union o rings are? 

I paid £65 for my last condenser and the special purple o rings were £22 from vauxhall or £9 for a pick a mix variety pack in green with some odd shape ones from autostore.

Thanks

Edited by bmbmdmb

5 minutes ago, bmbmdmb said:

Does the Fabia havens low pressure cut out to save AC compressor from damage?

Yes, G65 sensor in pipework near coolant expansion tank will disable A/C compressor if it reads too low, I think.

Yes, bumper off, normal shape O-rings may well come with new condenser, check with supplier.

1 hour ago, bmbmdmb said:

Any idea what shape union o rings are? 

I have never known an O ring to be anything but toroidal hence the name.

Aircon ones should be a specific rubber type, usually coloured green but that does not guarantee compatibility with the refrigerant and PAG oil unless you know the source, they are also usually imperial sizes and not Metric.

Thanks.

I had a read of post below. Pete you mention the dryer unit should be replaced. I understand a new condenser comes with a new dryer? Given I have leak on the union, could it be that the dryer dessicant in need of some TLC, ie replacement and a new union o ring? I think the condenser is not leaking itself.

I'll have another look but I seem to remember a black plastic over the place where the dryer insert would be. 

Can I access dryer without removing bumper, crash bar etc?

Cheers

A new condenser will have a new dryer, yes.

Not sure if seperable on your car. I can likely check with VIN if you like.

I've done a few attempts at repairs on leaking systems by just replacing o-rings, never with any lasting success.

Your leak looks to be near the pipe join, but the dryer seal is at the top of that side 'tank' bit, I believe.

I've had such little success with fixing leaky A/C that I just gave up on my car.

It doesn't leak (rainwater), so winter drying function isn't missed, and it's only useful for a week or two in summertime here, so not worth the effort.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
Clarification on (non) leak

Hi Pete. I have had a look and the black frame around the engine bay can be removed (held by torx fasteners) to access the large torx fitting vertically? This sits top of the condenser, front right side / UK driver's side. Is this the location of the dryer? 

This all assumes the dryer is blocked and there is some back pressure and that the leak is just the o ring in bottom union.

New condenser comes with a new dryer? Should I just replace the condenser? Radiator was replaced 40 k miles ago so I'll leave that be.

Workshop manual states to drain coolant, is this to lessen weight of radiator the condenser is attached to? On an Astra this would not have been necessary.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, any idea on the size of the two O rings at the two unions so I can get the correct size in before I start stripping the Air Con Condenser out the car down after XMAS?

I goggled a Fabia 6y but what I found didn't match the Fabia vrs mk1.

There are a lot of kits that sell 50 o -rings for the cost that a dealer would charge for one o - ring. They are listed as the correct material, HMBR. 

Like for like?

Thanks!