Are Fabias noisy?

I have a Fabia, 2015, 1.2TSi SE.

I like the car a lot… it’s fast, comfortable, decent trim and equipment. 

My only concern is that it seems “noisy”. Wind noise, road noise, engine noise.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, and it seems to run just fine.

Is it something that is common to these? Just a little less refined, maybe?

IMG_3357.jpeg

1 hour ago, BeigeDasLicht said:

Just a little less refined, maybe?

Compared to what?

What size tyres have you got?

What mileage is it at?

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

my previous car was an Astra, 57 plate 1.6 Sport Coupe.

Even flat out it was quieter than the Skoda.

Maybe more solidly built?

My previous cars before the old Astra,have all been bigger, SUV’s and so

on. Maybe it’s just my expectations: I’ve never had a little car before :)

1 hour ago, BeigeDasLicht said:

seems “noisy”. Wind noise, road noise, engine noise.

Any one or all?

Yes , smaller cars can be more noisy. 

Smaller engine as well.

14 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

What size tyres have you got?

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

Wind noise is good with mine. Nothing to note or pick out for wind noise.

Engine only noisy when being used. ( hard and fast )

What DB rating are the tyres that you have fitted to the car?

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 2

I would class mine as quiet - same year as yours and same tyre size.

Road noise will be tyre dependent of course.

Louder possibly if tyres over inflated too.

I swapped my rear and front wheels round recently to try and even up the wear and that made road noise terrible so swapped them back.

Might be worth checking your tyres are ok as I do think the car is tyre sensitive - when I got mine the tyres it had on (factory fit originals) looked good condition with lots of tread but were noisy compared to what I have on now.

Edited by HyperDog
  • Like 1

Tyres are a good place to start looking and fit for use doesn't mean they're necessarily that good.

As well as checking pressure (remember to reset the tyres from the menu if you adjust inflation) check the manufacture date on all tyres and that all four, or at least sets of two on the axles, match in make, model and (roughly) manufacture date.

Even if there's loads of tread left on the tyres if they're old they can go hard and if they're done lots of miles and lots of tread left they may have started with already being hard hence the lack of tread wear and perhaps meaning they're noisy tyres.  Noisy tyres can help to transmit other noise more giving a noisy cacophony.

Wind noise might be drying/dried out door seals or perhaps door(s) fit if the vehicle had damage there (I'm sure my wife's car might have).

Engine noise at 92k-miles, have you got any servicing and maintenance history on the car, do you know if the spark plugs and engine air filter have been changed, and how many times, was there regular and timely engine oil & filter changes? 

At 8 years old and 92k-miles I'd also be thinking of brake fluid changes and coolant (and perhaps gearbox oil but that's just me) condition of brake discs & pads.

Do you know how the mileage was done and spread out over the years, MoT and service history should give you a lot of mileage history, high mileages can be good and low mileages bad but it depends on the owner(s)/driver(s) use and abused of the vehicle and its servicing and maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• 1 month later...

Yes they are noisy.

I love the Skoda cars as they have good value for money but they are noisy with a lot of creaks, hums, buzzes in the plastic trims etc and wind noise.

I had a Fabia vrs for a short period of time whilst looking for another car. I am a car audio enthusiast so I may be a little more picky than others.

I ended up ripping the car apart and sound deadening the whole thing. 

I am not suggesting you do that but you can get good results by going over the rubber door seals with some rubber moisturiser. And also buying some sticky backed felt sheets so you can cut to shape and apply to the inside of the door frame (if yours does not have any). 

I removed air vents, door trims, glove box, sunglass holder, interior light and anywhere that plastic touched plastic and put a layer of felt behind it or Tessa tape. 

After taking apart a lot of my previous cars (that have been Audi) I could see that yes the materials used were more premium but the main thing was they put more decoupling materials in between trims which added up to the car being more quiet with less squeeks and rattles.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

fiat 500 1.2 pop

Luxury. 😄

Try a 2009 Fiat Panda 1.3 Diesel with 135K miles under its belt.

To be honest it has been a good car all its life.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Haha 1