Clutch pedal sticking down

Afternoon all, over the last few days the clutch pedal has been sticking for a moment when starting off from cold but today it has stayed down and only come back up about an inch. I've tried it down the road and gear selection and clutch release is ok but gear indicator is showing blank. Is this likely to be a clutch slave cylinder issue? Any help greatly appreciated. I will take into my local garage on Monday morning. Many thanks. 

Thank you both. I use a garage local to work, so will drop in tomorrow morning and it's only a 5 minute walk to work. Will let you know what they say. 

It's a 2016 model on 150k so not to be unexpected I suppose. A mate at work has a 64 plate Octy 3 and his has gone with 80k on it, so I suspected it was likely to be this.

Thanks Stevie, my mate said his slave cylinder was £150 ish so hopefully it's that and not complete clutch although with the mileage I'm guessing it will be getting worn.

Took mine in this morning and unfortunately the slave is inside the gearbox 😞 Not much point changing the slave without doing the full clutch. Had a couple of quotes around the £1,200 mark. Not sure whether to get it done or trade it in for a newer model.

As I understand it, unfortunately with this kind of problem you don't know whether it is the master or slave.   Are you losing hydraulic fluid, can you see any leaks around the master?

Worst case scenario you replace clutch, flywheel and slave find out that it was a master all along.

I would be tempted to replace the master cylinder first which is the cheapest job.

• Like 2

On 03/12/2023 at 17:02, Steviedakota said:

Mine is similar age and mileage, was quoted around €400 for a new Master.  

The Slave is external on my 6 speed petrol, so not a huge job to replace.

Hello Steve, that's the first reference I've seen for the 6-speed TSI slave cylinder being external - are you able to verify?

22 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Hello Steve, that's the first reference I've seen for the 6-speed TSI slave cylinder being external - are you able to verify?

Double checked with the guy who just did the flywheel and he confirmed it is outside.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

Double checked with the guy who just did the flywheel and he confirmed it is outside.

Thanks, that's really good to know, I have had this issue with my clutch pedal very occasionally, which then clears for long periods.