Rear fog lights only?

I am sure this sounds silly, but can you turn on just the rear figs only?

I have both front and rear. Pulling out the dial once turns on front ones and the second time turns on the rear ones. 

But on the second pull, both are on. I just need the rears.

• ColinD changed the title to Rear fog lights only?

Could disconnect, but, do need them operational.

Front fogs aren't a legal requirement, here at least. But during day light fog, on the highway sometimes just want the rear ones on just so the guy behind can keep a safe distance.

I agree, I could quite easily manage without the front foglights, and tbh, I wish a good few other drivers would - dazzle central!

But rear ones are generally underused, particularly on m-ways in poor vis,  imho.

37 minutes ago, mfizz said:

on the highway sometimes just want the rear ones on just so the guy behind can keep a safe distance.

Brake test them.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, mfizz said:

Could disconnect, but, do need them operational.

Front fogs aren't a legal requirement, here at least. But during day light fog, on the highway sometimes just want the rear ones on just so the guy behind can keep a safe distance.

Instead of messing with the foglights, u should activate rear DRLs, which turns on ur rear lights along with the front DRL lights.

I activated mine 4-5 yrs ago.

It's easy to code.

4 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Rear DRLs, or simply tail lights coupled with front DRLs?

Tail lights coupled with front DRLs.

It also includes number plate lights.

Like this.....

IMG_30062020_144050_(1080_x_716_pixel).thumb.jpg.a79214d39478dab2fe9e7b3d94866c0b.jpg

Edited by JR RS

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

Tail lights coupled with front DRLs.

It also includes number plate lights.

Like this.....

IMG_30062020_144050_(1080_x_716_pixel).thumb.jpg.a79214d39478dab2fe9e7b3d94866c0b.jpg

Is this possible on a Octavia 3 facelift, anyone know?  I think it should be standard, particularly on cars with automatic lights, which often don’t switch on in poor daylight visibility.

2 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Is this possible on a Octavia 3 facelift, anyone know?  I think it should be standard, particularly on cars with automatic lights, which often don’t switch on in poor daylight visibility.

I see no reason why it won't work on the mk3 Octavia.

This is the coding I used to enable it on mine.

Screenshot_20231204-184333.thumb.png.0a93c88caa880de9d399c05ae1a0ce5d.png

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, mfizz said:

But during day light fog,

Not sure how to read the quote. Do you mean light fog during the day, ie mist, or fog during the daytime?

Either way, rear fog lights should only be switched on when visibility is less than 100m. Over that distance your are in contravention of the highway code and, more importantly, p1ssing off everyone travelling behind you by in effect driving with your brake lights permanently switched on.

I don't think I've switched my rear fog lights on in the last 15 years. Never needed to. 

As you may have gathered, this topic is one that really gets under my skin. Would love to ban the bl00dy things altogether but I do realise that VERY occasionally they are needed.

A way to improve the situation would be to make them speed sensitive. Once your speed goes above say 20 - 25mph they will automatically switch off. If you can safely drive above that speed then the fog can't be that bad.

Edited by Gammyleg
embellishment