Inner tyre wear Dangerous Anyone Else?

MrsH

I’ve had my Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo from virtually new and always had a problem with excessive inner tyre wear on the front wheels. This time however, when I took it for the MOT the garage said they had never seen anything like it and how we hadn’t had a blow out was a miracle. The tyre garage said we would have been prosecuted if it had been in an accident. They said the only time they had ever seen it so bad was when a spring had gone which it hasn’t. We have had the tracking checked at a 4 wheel alignment centre and he said it was fine. I just want rid of it now as I am beginning to think it is a manufacturing fault. It has done it to every set of tyres I have put on it but never this bad. This time the treads are still perfect but the inner wall was nearly through. Has anyone else had this trouble? Its a 2013 Special Edition. 

F1851E00-600B-44D5-AD9D-DD4CB467DB58.jpeg

Welcome.

Loads of people have had the issue in the 13 years since the Monte Carlo or vRS came out wearing 205/40 R 17,s.

What are yours, Dunlop Sportmaxx?

?

What is special about your edition is it a Tech?

When were the tyres last checked properly and not worn, and how old are they?

Over the years it's had expensive tyres (which for some reason haven’t lasted not as long as the budget ones) and also cheaper ones that seem to last longer. The car only does 5000 miles a year if that. I don’t think this last set has been on a year. 
I don’t know whats special about it? Thats just the name it has 🤣 Its been a good car apart from the tyre issue and still looks mint. 

Its interesting that other people have had the same issue. I just don’t feel safe in it anymore. 

Is it a Monte Carlo.  TDI or Tsi ?   ? What are the tyres fitted?   Maybe only the badge saying Special is the special thing.     Maybe the car is not on the factory Sport springs, or the Dealer fitted options.  Eibach slightly lower.     You need the alignment checked by someone competent and if adjustment needed then done.   

• Like 1

Its a TDI. I think you are right about the badge being the only special thing. There is definitely something not right about it as its done it with every set of tyres its had. Not as bad as these though. I don’t know what brand the tyres in the picture are. I’ve had a new set put on now. 

2 hours ago, MrsH said:

It has done it to every set of tyres I have put on it but never this bad. This time the treads are still perfect but the inner wall was nearly through. Has anyone else had this trouble?

I'm pretty certain that a gouge like that indicates either something sticking out from the spring just above the wheel, or the wrong size wheels fitted. What is the wheel size supplied? This will be either cast (alloy) or stamped (steel) into the wheel, probably on the inside. An example measurement (figures from my old Octavia for illustration only) would be "6.5x16 ET42 5x100 56.1".

Inner tyre wear is the term used by some to express uneven wear across the tread of the tyre with the inner treads being more worn than the outer ones.

This is not uneven tyre wear and nothing to do with alignment, the inner tyrewall has been ripped out, does it happen on both sides?

It is either impact damage from hitting potholes etc with silly rubber band tyres which has torn the re-inforcing wires but then it has continued to propagate because the tyre has not been checked, given this has happened before I would be physically inspecting every inch of all the tyres on a weekly basis and immediately after hitting a pothole or coming into contact with another object.

I dont believe it can be related to the spring or spring platform as that is above the tyre, the wrong rims is a strong possibility but any tyre fitter, mechanic or diligent owner come to that would easily see what it has been coming into contact with (if that is the case) by polish marks, paint or underseal worn through etc.

Edited by J.R.

Can you take a photograph of the tyre 180° away from the damage please?

Its hard to see from that photo but there could be a groove running all the way around the tyre, it looks like it might continue downwards out of the photo frame.

What has the wear been on the previous tyres? Uneven tread wear or the inner sidewall being ripped?

Edited by J.R.

I bought this Fabia vRS at auction after a much a check as i could do.

Trailered it home, to the MOT station on the morning and it was a fail.

Not unusual.  & not the last one i spotted with the same issue.

Alignment on this one was dead on.  Unlike some that had track rod end issues and were covered by a TPI. 

Screenshot 2023-12-03 7.52.05 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-03 8.00.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-03 8.01.52 PM.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Can you take a photograph of the tyre 180° away from the damage please?

Its hard to see from that photo but there could be a groove running all the way around the tyre, it looks like it might continue downwards out of the photo frame.

What has the wear been on the previous tyres? Uneven tread wear or the inner sidewall being ripped?

All I’ve got is that video as I’ve had them changed. Maybe its 2 different things? Maybe this was pothole damage and not wear but it has occurred in the exact same place where all the previous tyres had worn. 

Delinte tyres are horribly cheap so it could have been a manufacturing defect that caused the delamination, you generally only see damage like that on under inflated tyres on cars with negative camber.

I know the Monte Carlo is lowered as standard so I recommend you get a full tracker printout showing the suspension geometry accurately.

34 minutes ago, MrsH said:

All I’ve got is that video as I’ve had them changed. Maybe its 2 different things? Maybe this was pothole damage and not wear but it has occurred in the exact same place where all the previous tyres had worn. 

Seeing the gouge has got me wondering whether or not the wheel is warped or buckled. Do you get a rhythmic drone, changing in frequency with road speed?

Do you live near a tyre fitter who has a reputation as "good"? They may be able to help you more that we can.