Coolant leak from auxiliary water pump

I have a 2018 Mk3 Octavia VRS 245 and I recently discovered a coolant leak, it was just before it's full service, so I asked my garage to take a look and they reported back that the leak is coming from the auxiliary water pump.  I've been quoted £830 to have the replaced and fitted, has anyone else experienced this, I tried googling the part but have had 0 luck, the garage said it was a small belt driven pump, and they told me they'd had to replace quite a few of these, and that there was a well known fault with the part, so it had been replaced with a more solid metal pump.

Obviously £830 for an auxiliary water pump sounds rather steep, I'm assuming this is a secondary pump.

Any help finding the part online with a price, so I can believe the garage would be appreciated, anyone else that's gone through this same issue would love to hear if you paid as much.  I've used this garage for years, and they've generally been very honest in the past so I doubt they are lying to me about the cost, it just shocked me really :) 

THANKS!!!

I think that sounds like what is actually the main coolant pump, they are expensive as it is integral with the thermostat housing, and it is quite an involved job to replace them. The term auxiliary isn’t really correct, there is also an electric auxiliary pump, but no belt involved so it sounds like they are referring to the main pump.

From what I’ve read on here the price sounds right for changing the main coolant pump/thermostats.

eg https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/hepu-8334403.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&tb_prm=20068253496&gshp=1&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsburBhCIARIsAExmsu6PWabBNVU9JP0iJabrBYbxUklm4Q6nkuyVozQvC6zhbxMc5AKq_aoaAr7ZEALw_wcB

Edited by classic

I had a similar leak on my second-hand 2018 vRS 245 which was fixed under warranty.

You might want to try taking it to a Skoda garage as there is TPI 2049121/4 related to this.

image.png.85b61d8df573a27195f268d9149d699e.png

Including changes to how they were fitted:

image.png.983dd39069a2da1e294e39205bfe3035.png

Even if they won't cover the full cost, you might get some good-will if it does match with the TPI :)

• Like 2

The only belt driven pump is the main coolant pump.

There is one electric aux pump for the inside heater matrix from memory. It is visible front right hand side of engine over from besides battery box area.  Close to the turbo it has silver foil insulation jacket on it. They also aren't cheap but a lot less getting to, so less labour if that's the issue.

£830 sounds decent price for the main water pump which, based on description I'm inclined to suspect is faulty..  

Thanks everyone for replies, I've asked the garage that serviced it to tell me the part number as well, will report back with more info when I have it, sure he said it was at the front of the engine, but yeah if it's the main water pump then I expect £830 isn't as bad as I thought...

Feel like I might be waiting days for DM Keith Parts/Service to call me back, this is the second time I called them about it and they never called back last time 😛 

So my garage came back to me and they identified the parts for one they literally did yesterday on a Golf and it's clearly the main waterpump based off these part numbers, he sent me this snippet of the invoice they did, obviously this is Golf parts, so maybe not the exact same ones for me.

He said they do one of these like every other week at the moment, same issue, you'd think there would have been a recall, but then I suppose if the part lasts 5 years, even if it has a fault in it's design they probably get away with it :)

I'll try my local official Skoda garage anyway, see how there pricing compares.

Thanks everyone!

72349167199__725434EA-3B0E-416D-A37A-73C5D7050CAE.jpg

• Like 1

Its a super common issue on these engines (EA888 I think). Mine is in a Superb 280 but same engine and my local trusted garage did it for £800. Skoda wanted £1300. Its so common that a lot of parts suppliers do a 'kit' with all the bits for a fixed price.

• Like 1