Wobbly Ride - 2010 Skoda Yeti 4x4 TDI

Pete_VRS

Hey all, before exploring the current issue I've got with my Yeti I thought I'd see if anyone has ever experienced this in theirs.

My car is a 2010 4x4 Elegance with 113,000 miles and I've noticed that it has a weird kind of wobble (side to side) movement when I'm driving. This occurs usually at 2000 - 3000 revs and goes in sync with how the engine seems to be running. This is definitively more apparent when it's cold and the car hasn't warmed up.

If I floor it, the car accellerates well and eventually the wobble stops. It also seems much worse when it's wet 🤷.

I've had the wheels balanced, the tyres seem ok (all season Avon tyres).

I've had the prop shaft inspected and all links etc are in good working order.

Any ideas?...

Has anyone had this issue and what solved the problem.

How old are the All Season Avon tyres? they can be skittery. 

Reviewed by me and A N Other in the tyre section.  I liked them but they were new and Avon Snow tyres.  WV7,s

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/501166-so-much-for-buying-british

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/459700-avon-wv7-snow

What pressure are the tyres at?

Is the car still running 13 year old springs, dampers and other components / bushes? 

Screenshot 2023-12-08 16.54.44.png

Edited by Rooted

Are you still on the original shock absorbers ?

We replaced ours at 97k on our 2015 model because it was becoming rolly and crashy on bumpy undulating roads. No leaks, just well worn and terrible local roads. Went for Bilsteins in the end.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I've got 35 psi in the rears, 32 in the fronts and yes I think all suspension and bushes are stock.

I was hoping the tyres would be the issue - still to be seen, but it very odd how the car seems to wobble with the tick over of the engine if that makes sense. It's almost feels like the engine is wobbling / lose and therefore making the car do the same. 

As for suspension, I'll replace one day, the car has been used and looked after well, but everything perishes in the end I guess.

All expense 🫣

Jack one wheel up at a time.

Just hand spin the wheel and watch the tyre tread edges as it goes round.

What you will be looking for is a distortion in the tyre. Highly likely.

If you run the car at about 10-15mph coasting in neutral, does it do it then? 

Edited by Carlodiesel
  • Like 1

I had this sort of torque wobble on another make of diesel car. My trusted independent fitter suggested a look at the engine mounts;

One mount with rubber coming away and the others soft all changed, what a difference! even the handling improved. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for the replies folks.

I'm leaning towards the torque wobble as the wobble of the car is in sync with how the engine is running. It's worse when the car is in the low rev range and disappears if I accelerate hard and drive the car like it's a hot hatch. Keep the rev range low and stick it in aow gear it's a wobbly ride about town at times. This is also apparent on the motorway if I'm doing 60 mph in 5th gear - get above 75mph... Gone 🤷 

The only strange contradict to this is when I drop the clutch and free wheel the car the wobble sometimes remains... Just not as noticeable.

Anyway - it's garage time so I'll get the issue looked at - my worry is the garage will just say... It's fine 🤦

• 2 weeks later...

Post update!!!

4 new tyres and the wobble has gone 🤘🏻.

Could have been done without the expense so close to Xmas but hey, needs must.

What I will say is the old tyres on the car looked in great condition, loads of tread left, no cracking etc. I also found it strange how the tyres would react differently on a day today basis which really threw me as to what was the issue.

Anyway, I can now actually enjoy driving the car again.

Thanks again for all the feedback folks, much appreciated.

• Like 2

Sorry the idle wobble was me horrendously explaining the problem 🤦.

What I mean was dropping the clutch and letting the car tick over whilst moving sometimes corrected the issue or it would stay... This would happen even if the speed was kept at a constant, for example going down hill, remaining at the same speed but dropping the clutch the wobble would sometimes go... Sometimes stay! Really weird! This started me thinking it was something drivetrain related.

As for tyres - I've had to go budget spec for the time being, all standard sizes 225, 50, 17 and have a B,B rating.