Caliper upgrades

S3 brakes are no different to Vw golf gti and superb 272/280 brakes.

if you have the smaller superb brakes, the difference is almost none in the front. Slightly bigger discs.

The rear is the main difference with vented discs instead of solid. 

What do you mean feels hairy under braking at speed? If you can specify the type of issue we can come to a solution.

if it’s heat soak then grooved discs with ducting and larger wheels is a solution.

if the brakes aren’t good at stopping then better quality pads are required.

fitting bigger doesn’t always mean better

22 minutes ago, passatman62 said:

May just go to upgrade backs then. Fronts have had New pads recently stock Brembos. Just seems to need to be stood on a bit heavier sometimes.

Brembo is part of your problem.

absolute rubbish when fitted aftermarket - brembo calipers and such are brilliant, but pads are outsourced and generally the cheapest rubbish with a nice name tag.

personally I’d fit something like ATE or TRW.

or for aftermarket upgraded pads Ferrodo or EBC

also the rear brakes on the mqb platform do next to none of the braking so fitting the upgraded rears won’t give you too much benefit sorry

• Like 3

I agree with ApertureS with regards to the Brembo pads. I fitted them on my Sportline and they were crap. Had the same issue as you. Swapped them for Apex not long after. Apex were cheaper but they were a lot better than the Brembo.

@ApertureS what's your thoughts on Brembo HC aftermarket prime discs?

https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/en/catalogue/skoda-superb-iii-estate-3v5-2-0-tsi-4x4/000115239-1?producttypes=Disc

I can see they are also used by some of the companies as blank discs prior to cutting grooves in them.

I've got the Brembo HC discs and EBC Blue pads and the brakes feel really rough, they do not feel smooth/ make a grinding noise and seems inconsistent (even when the brakes have some heat in them) compared to stock(I appreciate it is difficult to give a view without seeing the car)

Thanks.

Edited by Bobodaclown

On 12/12/2023 at 20:02, passatman62 said:

Something from an Audi perhaps S3 or S4.

I don't know which generation of Audi S4 you're referring to, but just for info., brakes is one the first things that S4 B8 owners do upgrade. They generally go for :

RS4 front brake calipers

- Upgraded RS4 front discs and pads (EBC comes often)

- Aviation hoses

- Removal of a part of front wheel arches

- Air deflectors from Porsche Cayman (or Macan, I can't remember) fixed on suspensions arms to redirect air flow on brake discs.

Of course the list above is the "full package"... ;) 

• Like 1

I can tell you something that’s cheaper, slow down 😂

Brembo discs are good but I’ve not long put ATE ceramic pads on my wives fiat 500, wow what a difference, I was hesitant at first after reading brake feel isn’t the same and you don’t get so much initial bite but had the complete opposite.

I’ll be using them on my superb when the fronts are due along with brembo discs as I like the painted hubs, I’ve got them on my rears but with Škoda pads as I got them to fit it.

• Like 1