Coolant level down.

Jocko

I checked my fluid levels today and the coolant level was just down below the minimum. I last checked it about 600 miles ago but I have to be honest, that was back in August.  I don't think the 10°C drop in temperature would make that much of a difference. Obviously I will check it more regularly going on. Am I right in thinking the prime candidate is a leaking water pump? Is that driven off the auxiliary belt or the cam belt?

Check the radiator thermoswitch first (for pink residue surrounding it), then the back of the block where there's a strange heat exchanger on the BXWs, couple of recent threads about them leaking. e.g. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/518176-fabia-14-16v-bxw-removing-intake-manifold/

Water pump is cambelt driven but not heard of them leaking much on these engines at all.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Thanks 1

@Jocko - I'd agree with @Breezy_Pete in the main, but I'd also look for pink residues on the joints between the radiator matrix and tanks, and around the feed and return pipe joints, particularly if your car still has VAG "spring clips" rather than graduating to proper Terry Jubilee clips.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, guys. I will have a good check down behind the back of the block. I haven't noticed any residue anywhere else though I just gave things a cursory glance. I read the thread about the pre-heater (as I do all threads for the Fabia). Glad it it unlikely to be the water pump as once you factor in belts and water pump (no point in doing the pump without the belts), plus garage costs, it adds up to a pretty penny.

Could be a few issues here have seen the clips leaking the pump from the small hole thatr vents the pump or could be at the rear egr valve water pipes it's a pain but worth getting into it to check,have known the rad to weep as well but a friends car the head was porus and water was getting into the cylinders but at such a small rate you could not dectect it by looking even a pressure test came back ok but did get a chemical test which showed exhaust/combustion gases in the fluid and the head landed up having to be replaced, the pump hoses and radiator were all replaced before this was confirmed which as he said was a waste of money and should have gone for this first, just to add it only seemed to loose water after a good run not steady driving