A good idea or digging a hole?

Understated

Old school experienced geriatric trying not to interfere with the decisions of more knowledgeable offspring...BUT...they're looking at a 170, 4wd, dsg, 2015, 80k. very 'shiny' ..BUT. am I right in thinking that the 'service record' will be through Skoda ELSA if work undertaken by them or any invoices 'in the glovebox'. 1st owner  for five years then three! Must be due dsg change now? I have the VIN number TMBME75L8F6059799. Usual paid search worthless. Any ideas...I don't want this to 'end in tears'   

It should be due its second DSG oil change now and at the very least its second Haldex service, including removal of the pump and cleaning the gauze strainer.  

The other thing of note is that if they intend to use it in a ULEZ zone, it's not Euro 6 compliant.  

However, it will remap to c. 210 bhp and 325 lbs-ft and be satisfyingly perky if that's a consideration. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

12 hours ago, Schtum said:

It should be due its second DSG oil change now and at the very least its second Haldex service, including removal of the pump and cleaning the gauze strainer.  

The other thing of note is that if they intend to use it in a ULEZ zone, it's not Euro 6 compliant.  

However, it will remap to c. 210 bhp and 325 lbs-ft and be satisfyingly perky if that's a consideration. 

I'm thinking that the hole is getting deeper! Devon local trips with London now and again!

1 hour ago, Understated said:

I'm thinking that the hole is getting deeper! Devon local trips with London now and again!

In which case, they'd be well advised to buy a late 2015 on Euro 6 compliant car.  The 150 TDI replaced the 170.  Not quite so much power but almost as much torque.  You don't say what the asking price is on the one they're looking at. 

It should be possible to pick up a low mileage 2016 in a good spec for around £12k in a. private sale. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muppix said:

Then don't buy an 8 year old car with 80k on the clock.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, just my opinion ...

And don't spend £12k on it 😳

Edited by b1ackb1rd

Let em cry as long as its not on your shoulder, if it is then some tough love will be needed.

I expect we have all learned from our mistakes and regret ever thinking/saying that our parents knew nothing, were out of touch etc.

2 minutes ago, b1ackb1rd said:

And don't spend £8k on it 😳

I was gobsmacked to see someone saying that a 2016 car could be had (if you were lucky) for £12K, 3 years ago I bought my 2015 as a write off, spent £800 on it so in all it stood me in £4K, at the time an undamaged example was not a lot more and but for the fact that all cars cost so much more in France it would really have not been worth my time, effort and the risk involved.

Now it appears that a car effectively 2 years older than mine was (then) is worth more than double what a good example was back then.

Late, lower mileage models are still attracting high price.

Just today my other half's daughter paid a visit. Good spec 2017 1.2 Auto now with 35,000m. Paid £11995 used 3 years ago, was offered £13k last week by the Skoda dealer, while in for a service.

Crikey. Makes me wonder what our ~ 100,000km full Skoda service history MY 2013 SE Plus is worth now. It's even in the best colour (Corrida red with black magic roof). Full leather with heated memory seats. 

Edited by @Lee

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

Are cars more expensive in Germany Lee?

Is it LHD or RHD?

I honestly don't know, John. I've not done a proper search for a new car or even a used one since January 2019 when I was after a LHD to replace my RHD MkII Fabia kombi. What I do know is I got a very good trade in price for that against the Rapid Spaceback I have. IIRC it was about what I paid for it in GBP but I suspect the trader had a buyer lined up for a RHD car. It was about the time Brits were leaving Germany/ other EU countries and Euros were leaving the UK. 

The other halfs Yeti is a LHD PFL which was in the UK for a while until we had an incident on the M3 with a disgruntled X5 driver who didn't like German people so it went back to Germany and was in storage for a couple of years hence the low mileage. She left it there and flew back and bought a RHD MkIII Fabia 1.4. 

Edited by @Lee

43 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Several posts hidden before this gets further out of hand.

I'm sure non of the posters who have had their post hidden need to reminded what the next steps will be if we need to moderate the post further??

This appears to have made no difference to who's posts I can't see without revealing posts or unblocking individuals!!

7 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

This appears to have made no difference to who's posts I can't see without revealing posts or unblocking individuals!!

Well clearly it has,

out of the 4 posters who have had their comments hidden you quoted one of them.

Which I hasten to add added nothing to this post whatsoever other than to stir things up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time flies by! Thanks for the input and guidance. Visited, inspected, bought and collecting next week. Will be 'front to backed' by 'the man with a spanner' shortly after! Definite Haldex strip service, DSG fluid change next year or two. Let the games begin!