Another poor signal aerial post

MrSissons

Hi all,

I have a 09 baseline mk2 Fabia with the common poor radio signal (dance) having search through the forums here the most common issue I’ve read is water in the base of the aerial. 

I’ve taken the headlining down and managed to completely remove the aerial from the car but the base (where it attaches to the car) is bone dry. The aerial is the long type which the rubber does seem to have become dry and brittle but wouldn’t have thought this would affect signal. 

What else should I be looking at next?

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I have replaced my aerial with one of these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221590883405, and it seems to have solved the issue but have only driven small rounds so far so true test over time. 

When people say yank hard, they’re not lying. Yank it hard and if it comes with an adapter like mine, make sure to lift the aerial base thread back into the ‘upright’ position before screwing in. You may think it’s too small a thread but it does go!

On 31/12/2023 at 23:31, MrSissons said:

FWIW I have replaced my aerial with one of these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221590883405, and it seems to have solved the issue but have only driven small rounds so far so true test over time. 

When people say yank hard, they’re not lying. Yank it hard and if it comes with an adapter like mine, make sure to lift the aerial base thread back into the ‘upright’ position before screwing in. You may think it’s too small a thread but it does go!

I ended up chucking the ariel along with the base. It's was rotten at the threads hence the poor reception I was getting. New base and new ariel and it now sounds buttery smooth!