Rear Washer not Working Properly

The rear washer on my Octavia isn't working properly (the wiper is fine).  I can hear the pump running but merely a dribble of fluid comes out of the jet.  When I have had this problem before, I pushed a pin into the holes in the nozzle which seemed to clear the problem but not this time.

I think I need to remove the nozzle itself to have a good look.  It seems to simply screw off but I don't want to chance doing this without some advice from someone who has had experience of this.  Is it simply a case of unscrewing the nozzle or will I need to remove the motor cover in the hatchback to get at it?  All advice appreciated.  Thank you.

The Octavia setup is exaxctly the same. If only all maintenance jobs were this easy.  I soaked mine in vinegar for a few days and then blew and sucked a few times and it cleared the nozzle.

• Like 1

I’ve had the same issue with both of my Octavia.

Used the same method with the pin to clear out the blockage which worked on my newer car but on the last one it only cleared out one of the two nozzles.

I picked up a replacement nozzle assembly from a main dealer for about £12 IIRC although you can find non OEM for cheaper.

Part Number: 1Z5955985.

As per the video above, once you open the cover the nozzle assembly just pulls off. Can be a bit stiff so be cautious as the wiper assembly is mounted to the window.

Edited by CookieMonster87
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CookieMonster87 said:

I’ve had the same issue with both of my Octavia.

Used the same method with the pin to clear out the blockage which worked on my newer car but on the last one it only cleared out one of the two nozzles.

I picked up a replacement nozzle assembly from a main dealer for about £12 IIRC although you can find non OEM for cheaper.

Part Number: 1Z5955985.

As per the video above, once you open the cover the nozzle assembly just pulls off. Can be a bit stiff so be cautious as the wiper assembly is mounted to the window.

I have exactly the same issue - one nozzle has cleared and one is still blocked despite soaking overnight in white vinegar and using a needle to unblock.

I’m now looking at sourcing a replacement. My part number is identical. So far I’ve only found ŠKODA Direct at £16. I don’t mind paying that but it’s nearly £7 postage for something that weighs less than a Christmas card. I’ve found cheaper on e-bay but (although the part number is correct) the seller only mentions Octavia Mk 2. 

@Moribund if you want OEM your local main dealer will likely be the cheapest and quickest option. Assuming that they are local that is.

My local had them in stock when I called up and picked up when I was next passing by.

Edited by CookieMonster87
  • Like 1

I ended up going to Johnson’s Skoda where they sold the nozzle for £7.25 so I bought a couple. The new one went on a lot tighter but the performance was a massive improvement - the increase in pressure meant that the water came out as a mist/spray.

The spares bloke tried to convince me it was inferior screen wash causing the clogging up and tried to sell me 1 litre of Volkswagen concentrated screen wash for 

£10.

• Like 2

I'm having issues with the rear washer - the nozzle is at the top of the hatchback, not on the wiper arm. It gets a very small trickle and then stops completely - the motor is whirring away with no problems.

Am I able to remove the plastic cover on the upper inside of the hatchback to see if the nozzle and tube are ok ? Is it any easy job ? I'm not the best at that sort of thing!

Cheers.

On 20/12/2023 at 13:50, NICK87 said:

I'm having issues with the rear washer - the nozzle is at the top of the hatchback, not on the wiper arm. It gets a very small trickle and then stops completely - the motor is whirring away with no problems.

Am I able to remove the plastic cover on the upper inside of the hatchback to see if the nozzle and tube are ok ? Is it any easy job ? I'm not the best at that sort of thing!

Cheers.

Hi,

Does the nozzle look like the picture below?

on the hatchback the pipe enters the wiper motor on the inside of the car and comes out of the plastic nozzle below through two metal holes

IMG_0735.jpeg

I managed to remove the nozzle by following the video above.  Getting the nozzle off was difficult so I threaded some binding tape underneath it and pulled it off.  But it wasn't easy and putting the nozzle back on wasn't easy either as it is a very tight fit.  Anyway job sorted and thanks for the useful advice.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar issue with the rear washer (fronts work fine)  

A few months ago the fluid would only dribble out of the rear jets.  Cleared them with a needle and all worked fine again.  

Now they've stopped spraying again although I can hear the pump working. Tried clearing jets with needle and also with a thin wire. Nothing. Removed jet assembly (they are clear when blowing into them), and tested washers with the jets disconnected and there's no fluid coming out of the connector pipe. Pushed a length of wire into the connector as far as it would go (about 4 inches) with no joy so I'm guessing there must be a blockage / air-lock somewhere between the pump and where it connects to the rear wiper motor or could it be something more complicated?

Where do I start looking?  How does the tube detach from the back of the wiper motor? Would a burst of compressed air down the connector thejets attach to help?