Car showing low rev. Throttle Pedal Sensor issue?

Fanty111

Morning guys hope you've all had a pleasant Christmas.

I have noticed a niggly issue where my rev counter reads incredibly low. It seems to trigger when I am in slow moving traffic. 

I am not losing any power and I am fairly sure that the Throttle Pedal Sensor is just playing up. The engine doesn't seem to be labouring at all when I drive or sit idle. 

Am I looking in the right direction or is there something else I should be looking out for?

20231107_174308.jpg

No warning lights or fault codes?

Rev counter is normally displaying what the engine ECU calculates from the information coming from the crank sensor.

You could read what the ECU is seeing with VCDS or similar and compare that to the needle position.

Could be one of 3 things:

Engine really turning very slowly (unlikely I think).

Crank sensor giving bad output at those times (see what VCDS reads).

Dial displaying the info incorrectly. 

2 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

No warning lights or fault codes?

Rev counter is normally displaying what the engine ECU calculates from the information coming from the crank sensor.

You could read what the ECU is seeing with VCDS or similar and compare that to the needle position.

Could be one of 3 things:

Engine really turning very slowly (unlikely I think).

Crank sensor giving bad output at those times (see what VCDS reads).

Dial displaying the info incorrectly. 

No lights on at all, which is why I think it may be the pedal itself especially with it still being able to get up to speed and it only trigger when I'm pulling at slow speeds. Traffic etc 

23 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

So you think the engine really is running that slowly?

Cos that's the  only way the pedal can be involved.

Engine is definitely not running slowly at all. Just been out in it now. Whether the fault occurs or not the engine is fine.

Could it just be the instrumental cluster being faulty?

6 minutes ago, Fanty111 said:

Could it just be the instrumental cluster being faulty?

Yes, I think that's most likely of all the possibilities. Or perhaps just the needle put back in the wrong position after dis-assembly of the cluster??

It could also be bad information from the crank sensor, but I think that would cause other starting or running problems. VCDS or VCDS Lite could be used to tell you what rpm the engine ECU is actually outputting to the cluster.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Yes, I think that's most likely of all the possibilities. Or perhaps just the needle put back in the wrong position after dis-assembly of the cluster??

It could also be bad information from the crank sensor, but I think that would cause other starting or running problems. VCDS or VCDS Lite could be used to tell you what rpm the engine ECU is actually outputting to the cluster.

Lovely I will have a look at that when I get chance.

Thank you as always pal

That could be down to the time of year. It is not just EVs that suffer from cold wet weather. I trust you have checked your tyre pressures!

40 minutes ago, Jocko said:

That could be down to the time of year. It is not just EVs that suffer from cold wet weather. I trust you have checked your tyre pressures!

Definitely not tyres. They get checked every 2 weeks I'm pretty particular about that