Rust on brake caliper

stupe650

Hi all, has anyone had rust on the outside of their brake caliper, car is 6 months old (my23) so disappointed in how it looks.. Do you think it will be covered by warranty, I am unsure as it won't affect the function????

20231228_111134.jpg

I don't know which car this is. The steel brake  calipers on my 2016 Octavia are so black with road dirt, no rust can be seen. I'm not bothered about such cosmetics.

Try asking your supplying dealer if there is a manufacturing fault.

14 minutes ago, gregoir said:

I don't know which car this is. The steel brake  calipers on my 2016 Octavia are so black with road dirt, no rust can be seen. I'm not bothered about such cosmetics.

Try asking your supplying dealer if there is a manufacturing fault.

Its an Octavia estate sel... I was hoping to get some advice before getting fobbed off by the usual dealer "its nowt to do with us" bs..

3 hours ago, stupe650 said:

Hi all, has anyone had rust on the outside of their brake caliper

Everybody with steel calipers unless they keep their car in a dehumidified garage and never drive it.

Its like asking if anybody has had a rusted exhaust system, at least the cosmetic surface rust on a brake caliper is never going to affect its function, you wont see it once the road grime and brake dust have taken a hold by which time you will have corroded and scored brake discs to contemplate.

20 hours ago, stupe650 said:

I am unsure as it won't affect the function????

4 question marks so the statement must be a question, but what?

I am guessing that you are asking "will the corrosion affect the function of the braking system?" If so then the answer is no it will not.

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

4 question marks so the statement must be a question, but what?

I am guessing that you are asking "will the corrosion affect the function of the braking system?" If so then the answer is no it will not.

I think he wants the rust removed and meant "Rust on outside of caliper doesn't affect performance or safety, so will anyone at the shop care enough to make it a warranty case?"

• Like 1

That is what I would have understood but for the question marks.

You need to be more and more a mind reader on this forum these days.

I can see now that the question preceeds the comma. My answer is no.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hairy_Joe said:

Can I ask what have you used to wash the wheels? Was an acidic wheel cleaner used?

I was thinking same thing . Although calipers do tend to get a bit corroded externally this one looks particularly bad at only 6 months old .

To end this matter, I have been to the dealer today and it appears the valeters incorrectly sprayed the wheel areas with a deep clean acidic product ahead of doing the Lifeshine protection, Autoglym helped backing me up with the dealer and now it is booked in for both front calipers and rear discs..  Thanks all for your comments..

• Like 4

Traffic film remover (TFR) is what the drive in car washes use when they spray your car when you fist arrive.

Works great on Buses and wagons but not recommended on a car you intend to keep.

My wife had a mini countryman with black plastic wheel arches and over time they all became discoloured.