How much do you think is TOO much to pay for insurance?

I don't mind paying a grand for a decent car but what I'm looking at is a bit more. My age helps a bit over being a young new driver but not as much as some peple seem to think.

The furby is not really an option any more as swmbo took one look and said she wants a bigger car with bigger boot and I don't want something quite as big as the octy.

insurance is a completely random thing and pay as much as you are happy paying.

on my octavia i pay about £700 which i think is quite good considering :)

i could pay less on an S4 but for the money it would cost to change plus the massively higher servicing costs i will stick with the octavia. for now :)

I am 28, I have 6 points, 5 years protected no claims. I do 40000 miles a year and I have fully comp business use on my Furby VRS. My remap and brake upgrade are declared and I pay

well i think anything over 1500 is alot... but if your eyes are set on a car then i dont htink the price matters... im currently paying 2500 for my car and i personally think its worth every penny.im sure walkie would agree that when your hearts set on a car then the price of insurance doesnt come in to it really. just shop around tbh cos insurance is just a joke with sum companies.. i was quoted between 2500 to 8000. it may sound stupid but the maxxpower website has alot of good insurance companies for young/lack of experienced drivers..

-ho

Last year for my Fabia vRS I paid 1600, 0 NCB, 1 Claim in the previous 12 months (counted as At Fault even though I wasnt and he was uninsured), aged 21 in a Cat. C postcode area.

This year is looking at 850 with 1 years NCB if I go with a 10 month policy, or 870 with a 12 month policy, still aged 21 (just) and same postcode etc.

I've never paid more than about £500.

If I was running a sporty car I'd consider paying about £800 max.

When I see people on here contemplating paying more than twice that for a furby I can't help but think they are mad.

Thats a huge chunk of your pay just going on transport

If you look at the bare figures you have - £800 for the Focus and £1000 for the Fabia, it doesn't look too bad on the Fabia, considering it's quicker and more economical, makes up for the £200 - in my mind.

Serious question - what about moving areas. I know the M15 area reasonably well so hear where you're coming from. Maybe experiment with the online quote systems from insurers, to see what even a small move into M14 would yield for example?

On the original question, the most I've paid is £1200 on my first owned car - MY2000 Focus 1.8, as a 19yr old with 2yrs driving experience. That then came down as the NCB went up. Paid £680 for the last insurance on the Fabia - so a decent reduction in 3yrs. Actually went up slightly when I got the Polo! :rolleyes:

Although some insurers seem to be getting wise to these 'peformance' diesels (some stories of insurers starting to deny insurance to some vRS drivers), I still think you'll get a better overall quote with a TDi then you will on a similarly powered petrol car.

Steve

When I see people on here contemplating paying more than twice that for a furby I can't help but think they are mad.

I am 20 I am going to pay dear insurance there's no getting out of that.

I can afford a nice car and I want to drive a nice car so I do.

I can see where your coming from and when I am your age I would laugh at such a premium, but there's no escaping it in my tender years :o

I am 19, female, with no no claims bonus. This thread is of especially of interest to me because I do intend to spend most of my money on car insurance and finance asap!

I am looking at paying £200 a month on finance, and then £1200 a year on the insurance. I am thinking it is worth it, but then I am stupid and reckless and I can only learn from my own mistakes.

I do have a good postcode though. Keys left in ignition and in the front door sort of thing.

I've never paid more than about £500.

If I was running a sporty car I'd consider paying about £800 max.

Likewise. I think the most I've paid was 800 a year. I was in a group 13 car at age 22 paying 550 a year TPFT no NCB, a year later a 205 1.9GTi (group 15??) paying 450 TPFT with 1NCB. This was in Emily's postcode area though, as she says very little crime.

The Fabia costs nearly that amount now at age 31 (bad postcode but fully comp insurance).

Moving insurance from LL77 postcode to PR1 just this weekend increased my Fabia insurance by 60% :eek: from 300 to 480 a year :(

****ed off cos my part of PR1 isn't the worst part of Preston city centre, and PR5 postcode 100 yards away from me would have only increased the insurance cost 15% over and above LL77.

True enough.

Thats why first two cars were both 1.0 litre ones.

To me insurance was a necessary expense but one I wanted to keep to a minimum so a group 1-3 car was a must.

I was at university when I bought the first one and not in a particularly high paid job when I got the second so I didn't want to spend all my cash on a car.

I can see where your coming from and when I am your age I would laugh at such a premium' date=' but there's no escaping it in my tender years :o[/quote']

:D

Your money and your choice of course , and I'm guessing your job pays a lot more than mine did at that age.

I just figured I have plenty of time to drive nice cars so I may as well wait till I can afford it more easily. Now my Octy is probably quicker than anything I could have realistically run at age 20 , and my bike does 0-60 in a time that would equal cars costing 50k+ and cost

I can see where your coming from and when I am your age I would laugh at such a premium' date=' but there's no escaping it in my tender years :o[/quote']

Thank you so much, J, I feel rejuvinated :D :D :D

I'm paying about £1500 fully comp, but that's due to several reasons:

1- had an accident fully writing off a 1yr old Fabia vRS, with only 1yr NCB

2- thanks (1), I'm starting again with no NCB on arguably (then ;) ) one of the most modded vRS :D

3- having a very modded vRS reduces drastically the choice of insurers willing to take you on, and with the accident...

I'm hoping it will go down a bit this year having 1 yr NCB, but even at 27, it's still pricey...

Just thinking of the logic in the insurer: "so you've just written off a car for which we've paid out for, and now you want to insure the same car but with even more bhp after that? You're gonna pay for it matey" :rofl:

At 22 im paying £900ish on my Octy vRS with 3 years NCB which is good

My first year was £1250 on a 1.4 Clio and ive just stuck with that untill i could afford to get a quick car without payin over £100 for my insurance again but im guessin that my S35 postcode is a good one?