Charge cooler

ToeM

14 hours ago, ToeM said:

Leak test on injectors happening tomorrow. No leaks on intake system. Fuel quality should be good, only run on V-Power and a cleaner every 4th tank. No fault codes at all. I'll personally look at the actuator tomorrow when the injectors get removed. No VCDS at present so can't give exact values.

Because of the way the smoke is (see video), I'm thinking not enough air because of the turbo vanes not being as free as they should, as suggested on here. I would have checked movement today but I was working from 7-4:30. I'll do the mechanical stuff over the next few days and if still the same, I'll get it to the nearest VW dealer (I don't know of anybody with VCDS) for a readout. When I got the car, it used to blow out the smoke under load. With what has been done that is no longer happening, it is only doing on initial acceleration for about a second. Once the revs get up, it looks clean. I'm also putting it on a gas analyser tomorrow, just in case.

As for the grey area, I thought it wasn't grey, a fail was a fail! It was why I contacted the police and DVLA and was told what I wrote earlier. 

Sorry to go on about this, but what made you contact the police and DVLA when we all assume a fail is a fail? If it fails again in February for emissions would you contact the police again?  Is there more leeway on the MOT for taxis?

I assumed he contacted them due to having an MOT cert still in date (the whole 6 months thing) and wanted to confirm if still legal.  Also got the impression that is WAS a taxi but no longer.  

Having done 300k miles I think the car is maybe in need of some real care.  Maybe an engine rebuild.  If the fuel system has been checked and it has a clean back end (turbo, DPF, etc.) then I can only assume the rings are on the way.

O.P. do you know the origin of the car?  Was it looked after or was the maintenance just bear minimum.  If just the periodic oil changes and the odd filter then maybe it's in need of some more critical attention.

• Like 1

The vehicle has a current MOT certificate which will expire in February, until then he is perfectly entitled to drive it.

Let me give you two scenarios and you can ask yourself would you stop driving.

Your vehicle brings up a MIL light and you have the fault codes read by a mechanic, they show that the oxygen sensor is showing an over-rich non Lambda compensated mixture, do you abandon the car there?

You put your car up for sale with 6 months MOT remaining, I offer to buy it if you put it through another test and get a new certificate, it fails on emissions you choose not to have the problem repaired (too expensive) I decide not to buy the car, do you stop driving it?

• Like 1

It failed the MOT in August. After contacting the police,  has the OP been given a new MOT or a covering letter to say it's ok for another 6 months? Would an MOT check say pass or fail ?

On 03/01/2024 at 12:52, ords said:

Sorry to go on about this, but what made you contact the police and DVLA when we all assume a fail is a fail? If it fails again in February for emissions would you contact the police again?  Is there more leeway on the MOT for taxis?

I contacted them because I am a taxi driver and anything I get charged with results in me losing my badge, ie, my job. If it fails in Feb, it fails and stays off the road until sorted as that is when dvla have it stated as the test running out. As a taxi, it is tested twice a year.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2024 at 11:08, Rooted said:

So are you no further on other than being allowed to keep driving it because of the previous MOT pass and no MOT due yet?

Screenshot 2024-01-03 11.05.28.png

The vehicle is only being driven for repairs and quite within the law. It is not used as a daily. The other grey area is there is no set limit to the distance you can drive to a test station or repair station

• Like 1

On another note, I've just been informed that cleaning the turbo (as said by a member) has stopped the smoke on initial revs and the car is being taken for test again. Hopefully, it will be sorted and I can get it re plated.

• Like 1

My 13 year old petrol automatic does few miles and sits near the seaside and if i drive that is when i become aware of any issues.

The horn never gets used from one MOT til the next and the brakes are not often used.

Arnold Clark failed it on Brakes & springs about 6 years ago before i bought it and 1 year later at the Service & MOT plan failed it on the same things.

Anyway a few years on and not many miles it is getting new discs an pads. 

Screenshot 2024-01-04 13.11.48.jpg

Edited by Rooted

On 03/01/2024 at 13:00, MarkyG82 said:

I assumed he contacted them due to having an MOT cert still in date (the whole 6 months thing) and wanted to confirm if still legal.  Also got the impression that is WAS a taxi but no longer.  

Having done 300k miles I think the car is maybe in need of some real care.  Maybe an engine rebuild.  If the fuel system has been checked and it has a clean back end (turbo, DPF, etc.) then I can only assume the rings are on the way.

O.P. do you know the origin of the car?  Was it looked after or was the maintenance just bear minimum.  If just the periodic oil changes and the odd filter then maybe it's in need of some more critical attention.

I know the car from day 1 and the original buyer was beyond meticulous. This included timing belts, high pressure fuel pump, servicing every 8k, batteries(2 of), starter motors, alternators and every receipt for anything (was a taxi, as you've guessed, so all receipts kept in date order). The 236k miles were done nearly all on the motorways and fast dual carriageways, the PO did mostly hospital and airport transport.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2024 at 11:08, Rooted said:

So are you no further on other than being allowed to keep driving it because of the previous MOT pass and no MOT due yet?

Screenshot 2024-01-03 11.05.28.png

The emissions were a bit high but the smoke it kicked out under load was really bad. Everything I had done up until yesterday resulted in the amount of smoke coming out as in the video and a little more when it hits 5500rpm (on the limiter). Leaving the car in nd at 20mph and flooring the throttle no longer results in a black cloud behind me, so I've moved in the right direction. 

• Like 3

On 03/01/2024 at 12:07, Crasher said:

Are you sure the DPF has not been rogered out?

I can't say it has or hasn't. I know the car has been in the same state, other than emissions,  for the past 3 years and no changes had been made to the exhaust and there hasnt been a problem. From what I've read about doing the dpf on one of these, it's not a quick job (unlike some I have done) and I know the car hasn't been off the road long enough to do it. There is a sensor next to what I thought was the dpf and on removing that, it looks like the horrible little filter is still intact (unless that is the cat).