Push button starter does not always start the carl should I use a lubricant?

Hello everyone,

Recently I  have experienced difficulty when using the starter button to start the car. It doesnt happen every tIme. Its not a question of the engine turning over but failing to start. When I disengage the clutch and press the starter nothing at all  happens. If I try again the engine usually  turns over and starts. This is a recent development; the car used to start each and every time I pressed the button. I havent used the car much these last 6 weeks or so due to not being able to drive following an accident falling off a ladder. I did start the car each week and had no trouble starting it. I will definitely    press the button completely in as it may be I simply havent been doing that  and see if that gives 100% turning  over of  the engine.

It could be of course that the battery is low and I intend having a couple of  motorway runs out of 20 miles or more with the air con and other accessories switched off .  The battery is the original one, it is only the 49 amps per hour  as it is the 95bhp engine so not that powerful  but, having said that, it is  not 3   years old yet. But it could be the culprit maybe? No warning lights come on. I might  even try moving the automatic light switch to manual operation in case that has a bearing on overloading the battery or is that over the top maybe?

I know others have posted about the keyless ignition not always  working but unfortunately  I cannot find the threads on Briskoda. I intend monitoring this  but have to face up to  the fact that the button assembly itself could have problems. I have thought about lubricating the button but am aware that might be counter productive and, maybe, make the situation worse.  WD4O may be the way to go or it may not. I also have a couple of cans of Ultion lubricant which I use on the locks on my sheds; this is marketed as a high quality product and may be the way to go. What do Briskodians think  of using either of these lubricants?

If the assembly itself is wearing out and needs a replacement does anyone have any idea how much a replacement will cost, parts labour and VAT?, The car is still under warranty until early March 2024. I could try claiming under the warranty but I am not sure if they would cover it. Could they try to say its a wear and tear item and not covered by the warranty?  Again, if any Briskodians have had experience of claiming this under warranty and what happened I would be really interested to learn about these.

So, my first job is to get some juice into the battery and see if the problem goes away then take it from there.

Thanks for reading.

2 hours ago, hetty1 said:

I havent used the car much these last 6 weeks

So, my first job is to get some juice into the battery and see if the problem goes away then take it from there.

My choice would be to fully charge the battery using an appropriate battery charger maintainer that way you know the battery was fully charged rather than guessing how much it's topped up with any short motorway runs you might be able to make.

Follow the Owner's Manual and battery charger maintainer manual instructions for charging.

I think you have the time to follow my preference of low (amps) charging over longer time, 2, 3 or 4-amp chargers.

Is your battery actually 49 Ah, in which case you'd want to go no higher than a 5-amp charger maintainer, see Owner's Manual, or is it a 59 Ah so 6-amp charger maintainer by the same book, either way I'd prefer a 2, 3 or 4 myself.  My wife's Fabia has a 60 Ah battery and I use a 4-amp charger maintainer that I only bought because it was a fair bit lower price than the lower amp ones I saw.

You can then do as I'm, forced to, do and connect it up when required for preventative charging of the battery rather than waiting for the battery to get too low for longer and better battery life.

I know others have posted about the keyless ignition not always  working

If yours is one of those that needs the keyfob for the ignition have you also checked the battery in the keyfob.

the button assembly itself could have problems

Hopefully not - ring the Dealer and ask if it's covered by warranty, worst they can do is ay "No".

If you need to try a spray lubricant then you are best to get the button forward, using something plastic to pry it forward use something plastic to get the spray where it will be most effective - usual cautions about car electrics.  On this occasion I would use Servisol Super 10 switch cleaner and lubricant.

servisolsuper10.jpg.94b368bbe5b882d3a1e881b67226b6ed.jpg.7e2601221cd8fad386b19ab5f0151cf7.jpg

Or I might use GT85 as I use that instead of WD-40 as it's a longer lasting, PTFE and smells nice.

GT85.thumb.jpg.4418f53cde1a2267b111a5e4de2b0863.jpg 

have any idea how much a replacement will cost, parts labour and VAT?

Some people won't like my long answer and even perhaps your long question, but they'll probably only moan about and/or to me.  🙃

Good luck.

Edited by nta16

In my opinion just change the starter button.  Or take it out strip it down and clean it. 

They are known to have issues that manifest themselves as you describe.   The one on our Kodiaq was replaced at 3 years old just before we bought it. 

• Like 1

IMO give it a good spray with contact cleaner as suggested by nta16.

I wouldn't use GT85 or any other oil-based lubricant on electrics, however nice it smells.

I had this issue a year or so ago, I had the start engine button replaced under extended warranty without charge and it’s been spot on since. Probably the contacts becoming worn or dirty. Contact cleaner may be worth a shot, I wouldn’t personally use GT85 or any other type of lubricant though as you want to remove residue not add more especially anything that may be conductive!