Mr Muscle turbo clean - does it really work? Power loss on 2009 Octavia 77kw TDI PD.

My 2009 77kw Octavia 1.9 pd TDI lost turbo power while overtaking yesterday, and for the rest of the journey I could tell that the turbo just wasn't kicking in as it should. There was no noise or smoke when it happened, nor has there been since. There is no engine management light on the dash illuminated, and I'm too far away from my OBD II reader to see if there are any codes stored. I don't know what the actual engine code is because, despite having searched this forum using "Engine code find" or just "Engine code", all I can see are various engine management code questions, not how to find the actual engine code. Any pointers to help me find the location of the engine code would be appreciated.

So I've done some research on here and on Youtube and see that Mr Muscle oven cleaner can clean out the exhaust side of the turbo (If you are very careful obviously). Is this right? Would it work on a 1.9 pd engine? I got the impression from Youtube and this forum, that the variable vanes on the turbo were sticking probably due to a build up of contaminants and causing an overboost problem. Does the 2009 1.9 77kw PD engine even have variable vanes to stick? I'm quite happy to do the work myself, I just thought that before I go swapping the turbo, I'd better try to clean it. 

Any help would be really appreciated.

If you search in thread titles only for the phrase 'Mr Muscle' there's reading aplenty.

Have you seen this thread - has quite a lot of info in it:

Gaz

15 minutes ago, Billy Balthorpe said:

Still wondering how to find out what my engine code is though.

Might it be on a label in your spare wheel well?

This might also be helpful:

https://www.idealengines.co.uk/engine-codes.asp?make_id=65&mo_id=31393&part_id=517&pname=skoda-octaviadiesel-engine-codes

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
typo

Yeah, racing certainty I'd say.  I think the 1.9 PD engine was hard to beat.  Not without their issues though:

Gaz

On 06/01/2024 at 17:54, Billy Balthorpe said:

Thanks Gaz, that seems a lot easier than taking off the exhaust from the turbo as I've seen in the You tube vids. 

Still wondering how to find out what my engine code is though.

The 3 or 4 letters in front of the engine number on your V5 registration form are the engine code.

• Like 1

I had a whiny turbo on my BKD when I got it, and often ended up with overboost limp mode. I did the Mr muscle treatment on it a few times and it seemed to help, kept things working for about 12 months at a time I suppose.

In the end it didn't seem to be helping any more and I decided enough was enough and that I'd give it a DIY refurb. Turns out the tips of the turbine blades had all sheared off and chewed up the VNT vanes, which was probably why it was sticking... All better now :D