Downloading map updates

Ackie

I have just downloaded a map update for my satnav. I have extracted and pasted files to a usb stick. The info from Skoda says ‘paste the contents, not the entire folder to a usb stick.’ Do I paste all the content? Not sure what is meant by ‘not the entire folder’.

Any advice welcomed.

The only advice I’d give, if you have an iPhone, is to ditch the Skoda nav for Apple CarPlay and Apple Maps. Updates continuously in real time, shows traffic holdups etc. 

Understand what you’re saying but for own satisfaction, would like to update maps regardless.

Thanks marineboy👏

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do what it say open the folder you downloaded  and copy the contents onto your USBC stick and put it in the car and go for a drive for 30 mins and it will update WITHOUT TELLING YOU  do check your  map version before you start and after you have updated

• Like 1

If you are in Europe surely you have updates over the air . We do NOT have that in AUS  so have to do an "offline" update.   Did my Kamiq yesterday and here is what I did   Formatted a micro SD card  downloaded the TAR file from VW  Used a 21 TRoc as the Model  and MIB3  (Discover PRO)  (no new maps  on Skoda)     unRARe'd the file to  the card. Put it in a USB C adapter and stuck it in the car.  Will go for a drive over weekend and it will update from 22.12 to whatever the new update is.

22.12 is my present update.

Over the air updates only if you subscribe to Škoda Connect. Free updates via your previously described method. Will wipe usb memory and download maps again.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Ackie said:

22.12 is my present update.

Over the air updates only if you subscribe to Škoda Connect. Free updates via your previously described method. Will wipe usb memory and download maps again.

Thanks.

On previous time i updated I used a USB C stick that had 1200 music tracks on it and map updated OK Just added the map and car found it ok

7 hours ago, Ackie said:

When you unzipped your files did you copy all of them onto your usb?

What i do is d/load the map from either VW or Skoda onto my HDD.   I then put what ever stick I want to use into the computer and I then unRAR it (unzip if you use that)  onto the stick that you are using.  Then just put it in the car  .  My one with music on it is a USB C stick. the one I used yesterday is an Adapter for micro SD to USB A into an adapter from USB A to USB C. . Have a few of them for my  dashcams. Either work equally well.

You can, after you download the file Unzip it to your HDD and copy the whole thing onto  the USB device if you want but is just an extra step.

After unzipping you should have a list of 21 folders and 1 file  at the bottom   This is for the AUSTRALIA update. Dont know about other regions

Shot of whats on my SD Card

20240210_082456[1].jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've done all this and put my usb with usb c adapter into my Kamiq. Nothing is showing on the screen, and going into system info and update shows nothing either 

However the sd card light is flashing away, is it updating if that's the case, just the infotainment isn't telling me? 

I just left my stick in and at some point whilst driving it updated. There was no indication that it had occurred. I found out by checking my system details. Hope this helps.

OK thanks I'll do just that, seems silly how on system info you press update you'd expect it to then read the card and confirm the version it's about to update to. Rather than just stick the card in, which the skoda guide does say, I was just expecting some sort of confirmation at the very least. 

Took a photo of my sysinfo, 23.2 current nav version will see how it goes. 

Edited by ryan-vrs

If you read through the thread you will see what happens and how to do an OFFLINE update as we do in Australia.

As I understand it those of you in European Countries can do an OVER THE AIR update   

First thing you should do is check your map version BEFORE updating and then again AFTER to see whats changed.

What you THINK should happen and what ACTUALLY happens are two different things.

In my 14 years of updating maps it has NEVER said what its updating to as you already know that when you downloaded it and should check as I have said.  

The only thing I have found it wont do is reinstall the same version over the top of itself.

How do you know it doesn't reinstall the same version, if the same version shows and the process doesn't tell you it updates? Haha

OK thanks mate, yeah read it all, unzipped to the card, wanted to clarify if any type of message at all pops up. Had audis before this and it usually confirms with a progress bar

I know it doesnt do it because I have tried and it wont as it checks the map version before updating .  It will DOWNGRADE but if map the same it says it cant do it.  Has been consistently the same since 2010 on various Nav units    THATS HOW I KNOW from way back in the day when we used to pirate the maps on another forum and VAG threatened it with legal action

Also have been mixing between Skoda and VW portals for maps since then as well.     Same **** different label.

As I also  said you in England have a different method of doing it as we have to off air updates as dont have WIFI connection to anything. Seems from your last post you are doing an offline update?????   Why??????

Your posts make me laugh with the capitalised words. As you say "if you read through the thread" Ackie confirmed to you it needs a subscription to Skoda connect. THAT'S WHY.

Edited by ryan-vrs

I really couldnt care less I only use capitals for emphasis.  No other reason.

How much is the subscription to Skoda connect.  From what I have read you get quite a bit of info over it.

We dont get any software updates etc as dealer isnt interested.  So why dont you subscribe. Then you wouldnt have to come on here to ask questions about simple things.

I set out all the procedure for offline updates as have been doing in various ways for years, to help you and you poke **** at me.

Makes me wonder why I bother if this is the reception I get for doing something as inoffensive as using capitals.

I apologise for your thin skin.

On 09/01/2024 at 09:03, Ackie said:

Understand what you’re saying but for own satisfaction, would like to update maps regardless.

Thanks marineboy👏

Yeah pretty much same for me, Android Auto goes on straight away. Just like the idea of the skoda map version up to date, either just incase it's ever used or at the very least with it being fresh. 

All updated thanks, didn't actually take that long considering the file size was 20gb+. Version went from 23.2 to 23.6 so wasn't too out of date prior.