Rear brakes sticking

Good Evening,

has any one had problems with the rear calipers sticking when the car has been parked up, i have changed the the calipers but still doing it, i have tried to adjust the handbrake cable from youtube videos.

But has has anyone had problems before 

Thanks Sam

1 minute ago, RoddersUK said:

Sticking, staying stuck and rubbing and getting hot.

Or just sticking when pulling away once, after your first pull off and then ok?

sticking when pulling away once, after your first pull off and then ok

When wet they like to do that, I get a good old clunk, particularly after washing the car. 

It's the rust that sticks them.

As you've noticed, once you've used them, it's fine.

Stop spending money!

• Like 1

A slight clunk is not uncommon after moving off when the car been stood for a while. If you were parked on level ground, you could always leave it in 1st gear with your handbrake off it it bothered you that much. You could also try reversing it back a few inches slowly before then moving off again, may reduce the noise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phoenixboy said:

A slight clunk is not uncommon after moving off when the car been stood for a while. If you were parked on level ground, you could always leave it in 1st gear with your handbrake off it it bothered you that much. You could also try reversing it back a few inches slowly before then moving off again, may reduce the noise. 

Where I park it's level ground, so i just leave it in P, handbrake off.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Metroreg said:

Good Evening,

has any one had problems with the rear calipers sticking when the car has been parked up, i have changed the the calipers but still doing it, i have tried to adjust the handbrake cable from youtube videos.

But has has anyone had problems before 

Thanks Sam

The other morning when it was -5c my handbrake didn’t release properly. The warning came on and the handbrake lever wouldn’t stay all the way down. It had new discs, pads and rear callipers about 3 months ago so I suspect it is the handbrake cable. Probably got water in it which then froze.

Edited by classic

Arh...the classic Golf/Octavia problem of sticking calipers. First thing I do my brakes is take them off, clean them up, clean up the sliders (where they stick) and put some brake paste on the sliders and back of the caliper pistons.

Do this for all four wheels.

3 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Arh...the classic Golf/Octavia problem of sticking calipers. First thing I do my brakes is take them off, clean them up, clean up the sliders (where they stick) and put some brake paste on the sliders and back of the caliper pistons.

Do this for all four wheels.

I know it is actually the cable on mine as the handbrake lever won’t stay fully down when it did it. 

6 minutes ago, classic said:

I know it is actually the cable on mine as the handbrake lever won’t stay fully down when it did it. 

You are also right. The handbrake mechanism can be struck if the handbrake is left on or the cable/mechanism is not occasionally lubricated.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ords said:

Where I park it's level ground, so i just leave it in P, handbrake off.

Yes even better, as you have an auto, same as I. Although you have no choice but to leave it in park to extract your keys.

Sticking brakes prior to setting off after the car has been left for a while is common & not manufacturer specific. As it doesn't take long for the discs to start rusting, mine is the same, especially after I've washed it for obvious reasons. 

Edited by Phoenixboy
  • Like 1

Mine don't stick so often, but they do squeak when manouvering in a tight space, or reversing. Over the holidays in Jan, they started to squeak a bit more when driving regularly, specifically when braking or cornering.

The VW tech I spoke to said the new gen Polo GTI has some kind of dampers fitted to the rear brakes that prevent this, but google has turned up little of use.

Plan is to take them apart (again) and use ceramic grease on all the moving surfaces and the backs of the pads. The rears likely haven't been changed in my ownership (going on 3  years now) so despite them having plenty of meat left, I might just replace, to rule them out as being the issue.