Hanging on to the current Yeti ..?

Prezafab

We have a Black Edition DSG 4x4 with 98,000 miles which is serving us well. It's our 4th Yeti plus a company one.

Total service history since new.

I keep an eye on used prices because my other half would ideally like an SEL Drive spec car which has none of the risk of buying a used L&K with a leaky panoramic roof. 

I enquired about a 2017 1.2 (FWD) one recently as it looked about right for us  but the dealer was offering below trade and not moving at all on their car. Now I do get that Yetis are still in demand, but if you have a possible customer trading in another Yeti, wouldn't you have thought some room for negotiation for an  it  easy sale?

Anyway - now thinking about holding onto to it to 120k. We've had  the usual couple of lower door area repaints, new Bilstein front shocks, springs, mounts and all the servicing is up to date.

So - what would you recommend doing or to be aware of ?

- DSG ? DPF ? Engine related ?

Mine's coming up to 11 years old, generally been very reliable wit hno major bills and I'm planning to hold on to it as long as possible. We've had members of this forum decide it was time to replace their Yeti and a few months later return to the fold, by then having no choice but to buy secondhand, which suggests that the Yeti is a pretty decent vehicle (as we all know). Your post suggests yours has been reliable and generally trouble free for its age. If you traded it in you would be looking at a car at least six or seven years old so a minimal warranty even if you bought off a forecourt. You might be lucky and get a good one but there's still a risk the previous owner parted with it for a good reason. There's always a cost to changing a vehicle and if yours is continuing to give good service I'd be thinking hold onto it and that's money could go to any future repairs.  

• Like 4

On 21/01/2024 at 12:56, Prezafab said:

So - what would you recommend doing or to be aware of ?

- DSG ? DPF ? Engine related ?

DSG needs an oil change every 40k miles.  Haldex service intervals are a bit of a debate.  Probably every 30k miles at least and very importantly, make sure that it's done properly, not just an oil change.  

Black Edition - I think that means it's a Facelift car?  In which case, it's fitted with a Haldex 5.  Contrary to any VAG main dealer practice, that means that the Haldex pump should be removed and the gauze strainer cleaned.

Has the car had the dreaded 'Emissions Fix'?  If so, get it rolled back. It's not conducive to EGR longevity.   In respect of carbon contamination, it's worth putting a bottle of cleaner in 1/3 of a tank of diesel ever few months, depending on mileage.

I use Cataclean DPF cleaner.  You might want to give it the occasional CarbonClean treatment which is, essentially, steam cleaning the inside of the engine while it's running. 

Finally, I'd suggest only running it on premium diesel.

HTH

• Like 1

Good idea 're the cleaning. I use Miller's DPF cleaner a couple of times a year and EcoMax every few tanks. I've had the old Impreza Terracleaned a few years back another did no harm.

Judging by owner loyalty, strong demand, and residuals I think Skoda made a big bobo when they dropped the Yeti.

IMO the replacement is totally characterless blob and at a glance very easily mistaken for a VW or Seat.

Few cars of it's time stood out from the crowd like a Yeti!

Global sales were poor no matter how it was spun and at about 850,000 when there had to be promotions to get more bought and numbers about how many delivered, but Skoda / VW were first registering them to sell as 'Used'. 

They did reach producing over 1 Million.  

There were those that bought more than one and enthusiasts, motoring journalist enthusiasts who true to form do not use their own money and buy one. 

There were countries where they were more popular and could have kept on being built and sold.  Maybe Russia. 

Then maybe the Chinese versions could have been offered in other world regions. 

People should look after them, renovate rough ones like Land Rover Defenders are being upgraded these days and the demand and value might be there in a decade or 3.

http://goodcarbadcar.net/skoda-yeti-sales-figure

Edited by Rooted

• 3 weeks later...

We're still in the hunt for a 17 or 67 plate SEL plus sat nav or SEL Drive at a 'reasonable price':-

Put a holding deposit on one that looked good (maybe it was), but had its first MOT at 18 months old, followed by 5 owners in 50000m. So that put us off.

Second one looked perfect, franchised dealer, placed holding deposit on line 'sorry we've sold it's

Car 3, deposit placed. Will let you know...!

What sort of money are they asking for late model cars, these days...?   It occasionally goes through my mind to sell mine.  I've not been keeping very well for a while and I don't know how much sense it makes to have two diesel 4x4 Skodas sitting on the drive. 

1 hour ago, Schtum said:

What sort of money are they asking for late model cars, these days...?   It occasionally goes through my mind to sell mine.  I've not been keeping very well for a while and I don't know how much sense it makes to have two diesel 4x4 Skodas sitting on the drive. 

Huge variation in prices. We are looking at the £12-13k Mark (DSG and SEL or better) the dealers are hugely swayed by low mileage ones - e.g. 1.2 petrol on at £19500 with 10k miles...

1 minute ago, Prezafab said:

Huge variation in prices. We are looking at the £12-13k Mark (DSG and SEL or better) the dealers are hugely swayed by low mileage ones - e.g. 1.2 petrol on at £19500 with 10k miles...

Dearie me.  I paid £11750 for my high spec.  2016 150 TDI  SE L Drive 4x4 manual with 32k miles on it, in early 2020.  Last year WBAC offered me £14.5k for it at one point, although I suspect that would have dropped a bit by now. 

On 12/02/2024 at 21:01, Schtum said:

Dearie me.  I paid £11750 for my high spec.  2016 150 TDI  SE L Drive 4x4 manual with 32k miles on it, in early 2020.  Last year WBAC offered me £14.5k for it at one point, although I suspect that would have dropped a bit by now. 

Based on our recent, extensive searching for another Yeti I would say it's worth what you paid for it and a £14000 retail price. 

Our 2015 Black Edition TDI 4x4 DSG is advertised for £8k, but low mileage ones are still commanding £12/13k.

Advice I got from Editor of a motoring magazine was - don’t sell your Yeti, best car Skoda ever made and one of the best everyday affordable cars anyone’s ever made. Similarly we met a couple when we were on holiday in Dorset last year and got talking about cars, when I said I had a Yeti they said they had sold their Yeti a year ago and were still regretting it!

11 hours ago, Expatman said:

Advice I got from Editor of a motoring magazine was - don’t sell your Yeti, best car Skoda ever made and one of the best everyday affordable cars anyone’s ever made. Similarly we met a couple when we were on holiday in Dorset last year and got talking about cars, when I said I had a Yeti they said they had sold their Yeti a year ago and were still regretting it!

I'm confused @Expatman.  Why are you selling yours?  And won't you have similar regrets? 

6 hours ago, Robjon said:

I'm confused @Expatman.  Why are you selling yours?  And won't you have similar regrets? 

Probably! Honestly I am confused as to what to do. Fact is Yeti is now 7 years old and while it has been faultless there comes a point when things are going to need attention, inevitable with any mechanical device. I am too old to be bothered with the hassle of dealing with any problems so am tempted to swap for a new car. Favourite so far is the new Lexus LBX hybrid which is big enough for us - 95% of the time only 2 in the car - and I fancy seeing how a hybrid performs. Not ready for a pure EV but a hybrid might be nice; Lexus has the best reliability record of any make so that tempts me. However...... still not made up my mind!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@Expatman   Has the Lexus hybrid really got th best reliability record?

Not from what i have read and seen and if it is the best then there is little hope for any others. 

Lexus 98.3% and Toyota 97.4% reliability index according to Whatcar 2023 survey. Lexus has topped the chart for several years. Seems a good bet to me.

In comparison Skoda achieved 91.4% .

Edited by Expatman
  • Haha 1

We know about Lexus and Toyota Reliability records.  So lets hope the Lexus Hybrids do not let them down.

Skoda,s reliability record is not going to be too good as more PHEV,s are first registered and owners take part in Surveys.

MG and Dacia score well do they not and they have Hybrids and BEV,s getting sold. 

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

We know about Lexus and Toyota Reliability records.  So lets hope the Lexus Hybrids do not let them down.

Skoda,s reliability record is not going to be too good as more PHEV,s are first registered and owners take part in Surveys.

MG and Dacia score well do they not and they have Hybrids and BEV,s getting sold. 

The Toyota Yaris Cross has scored well in reliability surveys - as have all Toyotas. I don’t see why Lexus should be any worse and maybe better after all the work they have done in modifying the basic drivetrain. Also warranty is ten years providing you have the car serviced at a Lexus dealer. As with any newly released car there is inevitably a learning curve for production so wait 2-3 months before buying to allow for initial start up gremlins to the ironed out!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Expatman said:

Probably! Honestly I am confused as to what to do. Fact is Yeti is now 7 years old and while it has been faultless there comes a point when things are going to need attention, inevitable with any mechanical device. I am too old to be bothered with the hassle of dealing with any problems so am tempted to swap for a new car. Favourite so far is the new Lexus LBX hybrid which is big enough for us - 95% of the time only 2 in the car - and I fancy seeing how a hybrid performs. Not ready for a pure EV but a hybrid might be nice; Lexus has the best reliability record of any make so that tempts me. However...... still not made up my mind!!!

I doubt that your Yeti will need much doing to it for another 3 years to be honest.

On PHEVs , we had a used Volvo for 2 years which I've recently traded in. It was fun driving around for 25 miles on electric and maximising "mpg" while still not worrying about having to charge away from home. I had no issues, but the battery warranty lasted 8 years, my extended warranty was due for renewal and the air conditioning compressor was notorious for failing, which cools the battery - so the car stops if it breaks. 

I would buy another PHEV with at least 2 years warranty. 

2 hours ago, Rooted said:

@Expatman  is it just a supposed 'Self charge hybrid then' and not a PHEV Lexus?  That should be fair enough then, Warranty, local dealership and you are sorted. 

The Lexus LBX is the new small self charging hybrid. Based on Toyota Yaris Cross but different body and heavily modified drive train - balancer shafts etc. What Cars car of the year.