Inner door card/window reg rivets info required plus how to lift window

Hi there. I have a 06 plate fabia 1.2 and the drivers window just dropped into the door. (damn cold drive home with wet salty slush hitting me in the side of the head). Did some research on here and going to order either a  window reg repair kit or just the replacement plastic clips plus OEM rivets once I take it apart to see what the problem is.

Got the part number for the correct rivets N91078801 (6.4mm x 10mm) and also have three of old Lazy tong riveters but only one size nose on each which are all too small (probably for 4.8mm rivets or smaller. Need to know the nose size for these rivets or do I just look for 6.4mm nose. Dont want to buy another one. Also anyone know how to raise the window to get to the fixings holding the glass as it seems to be jammed in the down position. 

Had a look on a couple of youtube vids and looks like a nightmare of a job but our local Skoda/VW dealer is pretty expensive. Labour is around £100 per hour!!! 

Any help or advice welcome

Alasdair

Hi Alasdair ! Sounds like one of the cables has snapped - I drilled out the rivets themselves on the regulator assembly and put in M4 rivnuts with M4 bolts- this means any more bother and I can just unbolt the full assembly

It's a long job but there are very good videos on YouTube Hat Boy Harvey is especially clear- just take your time and just make sure of everything as you go along - I made a few gaffes myself and had to strip off stuff again  twice 😀 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I was assuming it was the plastic clips but the cable makes sense. Havent had a look yet as its freezing here. Did notice that some mornings the window was down slightly. Same today but when I tried to put it up it went down. Tried pulling it up at the same time as hitting up button and it still went downwards and now seems jammed.

Will remove card etc and drill out rivets tomorrow and get a proper look. Just done the window motor on that side which is still grumbling away when I press up or down so I assume its the mechanism.

I've got a dimensioned sketch somewhere of the carrier rivets, but it's eluding me just now. 

The steel pins are fat though, maybe as much as 1/8th inch, 3.2mm?

I'll keep hunting.

Found some OEM ones on ebay for 7-95 for 10 so ordered them. They are the proper ones with the cut outs if you know what I mean. Read online that standard 6.4mm x 1mm dont seem to be as tight. Will see who makes my riveters and get a new nose to fit . Reckon its the cable thats snapped so tomorrow will strip down the door and see. 3.65mm is pretty heavy duty. Must be something to do with strengthing up the door to stop it flexing. Why they changed from bolts I don't know.

Not looking forward to it but at least I have it undercover at the moment until my old Octavia breaks down again. Brakes on it this morning but thankfully simple fix. One of these weeks I wont have to work on a car.

Cheers Alasdair

Nothing wrong with that picture. Gives you everything you need to know plus a lot better than I would do. Mines normally a sketch that a 5 year old would do.

• Like 1

Quick question? As the glass has dropped completely I assume I have lost the original position re up or down or somewhere inbetween. Does it matter when I replace the mechanism on the position of the glass in the door or will the motor work it out? Might sound like a daft question but don't want to put it all back together an then find the window doesnt go all the way up or down.

Alasdair

Cheers for the info. A quick update. Havent got it apart yet as need the car. Hope to wedge window up tomorrow to keep me going till parts arrive. By the looks of it looking down from above one of the cables came free from the plastic clip and wrapped itself round the cog that the motor fits into which then snapped off the plastic bits the motor fixes to allowing everything in the door to get tangled and drop to the bottom.  Motor fell out when I removed the outer door panel. I managed to free the window eventually and got it to slide up the door but reckon need either a complete unit or repair kit. Might just buy one complete for ease as the old one is in such a mess I dont think it would be easy to repair plus not sure if there is anything else damaged and if I drill out all the rivets I reckon it will come out in bits.

Any reccomendation on a replacement. There are a few on ebay but not sure re quality.

Alasdair

I did the same job about 4 years ago on my passenger side. The window mechanism wire had become all tangled up. 
I just used the bare mechanism from ECP and had no issues since. It looks like the current drivers side comes with the door card. 
However, the door card rivets are hideous and using a standard one handed squeeze rivet gun knackered my knuckle joint as they are very tough. 

Fast forward to last year when the drivers door lock started misbehaving and so that side had to come off. 
I bought a 2 handed rivet gun from EBay of the type where you hold the handles like a pair of garden loppers and squeeze the handles together. These worked great with no ill effects. 

Don’t forget to reseal the lower edge of the metal door card to avoid water leaks into the footwell.