Sat Nav issues on Octavia VRS estate

Hope someone can help with Satnav problems on my 68 plate Octavia VRS estate with Columbus unit.

A couple of days ago on start up I got the little triangular orange sign with the exclamation mark on my dashboard with a message saying something like "your emergency phone could not connect " but the error message disappeared before I could read it properly then after a few moments the little orange triangular light went out. However when I went to use my satnav I noticed that the arrow was not showing me as being on my drive (which I was ) but about 10 miles away in another town.

I have tried to reboot the system by holding down the volume button till the screen cleared and rebooted the system but the arrow on the screen is still showing me 10 miles from where I actually am.

Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone know how to rectify the issues I'm experiencing.

Ian.

33 minutes ago, IanVFR750 said:

Hi Nicky,

Is factory resetting different to rebooting - if so how do you go about it?

Ian.

Yes it is different, rebooting will just restart it. Factory reset will bring it back to the original state and errase all your settings and the eventual cache files.

Go through the menus, you will see the option somewhere.

Sorry but I can't check where it is in my car before tomorrow 

The versions of the MK3's with Emergency call function - IMHO - were always slightly buggy.

West End Skoda patched my previously owned dark grey VRS with new firmware on the EMC system to make it less buggy (speak to Ewan).

Edited by varaderoguy

Hi Nicky - tried the factory reset but no luck - sat nav still showing me 10 miles from where I actually am. Thanks anyway for your help.  Ian

7 minutes ago, IanVFR750 said:

Hi Nicky - tried the factory reset but no luck - sat nav still showing me 10 miles from where I actually am. Thanks anyway for your help.  Ian

Where is your car parked when you're doing this, and how long did you wait after the factory reset?

The signal from the satellites is very weak, so you need a 360 degree reasonably clear sky view to see as many satellites as possible.

In addition after a factory reset the GPS needs to see at least 4 satellites with a strong enough signal to get any fix at all, and that fix will be very coarse until more satellites come into view which can take quite some time depending on how clear the sky view is (some satellites can appear very low to the horizon and be easily obscured).

• Like 1

I have just parked my car on the top of a hill with 270 degrees clear view of horizon in blue/light cloudy sky and run the factory reset function for about 45 minutes and my satnav is now 8 miles out rather than the 10 miles it was before.

1 - have I run it long enough ?

2 - should I have to do anything after I have pressed the "reset all" button or is it all automatic after that point.

3 - should I see it doing anything ?  ( the only sat nav related action I had to perform was to put in my home address )

4 - is there any way I can tell if or when it's picking up any signal.

13 hours ago, IanVFR750 said:

4 - is there any way I can tell if or when it's picking up any signal.

Does the vehicle location move when the car is moving?

If not then I suspect that there is a problem with the GPS antenna (in the roof mounted shark fin) or the wiring to it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IanVFR750 said:

Hi varaderoguy - what branch of East End motors did you use ( Edinburgh / Dunfermline / Stirling ).

Hello IanVFR750,

I used Sighthill branch in Edinburgh - and its West End Skoda.

Thanks

Max

Hi Max,

Where did East End Motors come from !!! I must have had a senior moment.

I popped in to West End Skoda at Sighthill today when passing but they wouldn't let me speak to the technician.

He did look at the can but service reception said it needs a full diagnostics run on it ££££ but it was likely to be the aerial.

Think I'll do further investigation myself.

Thanks - Ian.

19 hours ago, IanVFR750 said:

Hi Max,

Where did East End Motors come from !!! I must have had a senior moment.

I popped in to West End Skoda at Sighthill today when passing but they wouldn't let me speak to the technician.

He did look at the can but service reception said it needs a full diagnostics run on it ££££ but it was likely to be the aerial.

Think I'll do further investigation myself.

Thanks - Ian.

oh - sorry you didn't get far on that one.

What you can do - is enable diagnostic mode on the MIB system via VCDS or ODBEleven.  I am sure that one of the functions it will then show you if you are getting a signal from the GPS or not.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 07:43, PetrolDave said:

Does the vehicle location move when the car is moving?

If not then I suspect that there is a problem with the GPS antenna (in the roof mounted shark fin) or the wiring to it.

20 hours ago, IanVFR750 said:

That's my thoughts too... earlier versions of the shark fins were notorious for letting in water and stopping working as the GPS amplifier in the base of the antenna became waterlogged.

Edited by PetrolDave

The arrow on the sat nav does move when the car is moving but when the car is going East the satnav pointer goes West - the altimeter also shows me at 28000 feet ( nearly as high as Everest.

I'm frustrated because if it was mechanical I could fix it but all this fancy electrical stuff is beyond me - I'll just have to swallow my pride and take it to a dealer to resolve this problem.

Thanks a lot to all of you who assisted me with this problem - it's nice to know there is backup / knowledge out there if I need it again in the future.

Regards,

Ian.

28 minutes ago, IanVFR750 said:

The arrow on the sat nav does move when the car is moving but when the car is going East the satnav pointer goes West - the altimeter also shows me at 28000 feet ( nearly as high as Everest.

I'm frustrated because if it was mechanical I could fix it but all this fancy electrical stuff is beyond me - I'll just have to swallow my pride and take it to a dealer to resolve this problem.

Thanks a lot to all of you who assisted me with this problem - it's nice to know there is backup / knowledge out there if I need it again in the future.

Regards,

Ian.

Try and find a Briskoda member local to you who can scan for fault codes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ords said:

Try and find a Briskoda member local to you who can scan for fault codes.

I'm over in the Scottish Borders if you need me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer varaderoguy.

But good news - out in the car today the sat nav flickered back into life and seems to be working perfectly - time will tell for how long ???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IanVFR750 said:

Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what firmware is - and where would I find what version it is ???

The firmware is the "software" that manages the unit. It is hard codded in it and can be upgraded to solve issues 

• Like 1