Skoda VRS IV Transport Blocks Left In - 60k miles later....

I've got my car in at Skoda for a checkup, as I keep getting an error on the dash "Engine needs to run for longer". As part of the inspection, I had a video showing the transport blocks had been left in from new!

I've hit almost 59k miles, and been driving it for the last 6 months. I've always thought the suspension was harsh, but thought it was because its a VRS. It's been in at Skoda dealers every service, and lets be fair - i didn't even consider this would be the cause given it's already covers such mileage!

"Inspection Notes: Nsf shock absorber dust cover damaged and bump stop as transport block left in reqs bolts for strut removal., possible customer services"

Customer services involved by the garage, as it's not a warranty issue, it's negligence from the initial PDI I'd guess!

Skoda Octavia VRS IV Hybrid Petrol/Electric, 71 plate

Screenshot2024-02-20134401.jpg.8a674256d9b4491e2f49d63bb1e970c0.jpgScreenshot2024-02-20134435.jpg.8855d0c9a565620704af9cd18de88cf9.jpg

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Superseded said:

As part of the inspection, I had a video showing the transport blocks had been left in from new!

Sadly that's not the first time this has been reported on here, and I very much doubt it will be the last.

PDI checks do not seem to be carried out throughly enough by every dealer on every car, maybe time saving?

• Like 3

Happened to me too. They are under the rubber gaiter that is behind the spring, you can just make out the gaitor in the second picture above. I think you'd need to be up on a ramp - I'm not sure it would that easy otherwise.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dan245 said:

Are they easy to spot from a quick bonnet-up look? my car is due soon and I'll get the dealer to confirm/show me if practical.

No, not under the bonnet, in wheel arch.

At home only practical way to check is to jack up the car (as if you were going to change a wheel) then with wheel hanging down lift rubber gaiter on the big strut at top and look for coloured spacers).  Don't need to undo or take off the wheel, just lift body on jack so can reach above wheel.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 2