Replacement tyre recommendations.

Well he cant be expected to actually back up his statement

On 25/02/2024 at 21:39, Alan_P said:

mass loads up on the weaker tyre(s) and causes it to lose grip even faster than it would do normally.

can he?

Better to say, I dont know or I explained that wrong than to dig a deeper hole with even more outlandish defiance of physics.

Understanding static and kinetic friction forces is very simple, you just have to imagine a mass on an inclined plane or better still recall the experiments in Physics classes at school, technical college or university.

Mass has no effect on friction a heavy or light object on an inclined plane will both slide at the same angle.

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Well he cant be expected to actually back up his statement

can he?

Better to say, I dont know or I explained that wrong than to dig a deeper hole with even more outlandish defiance of physics.

Understanding static and kinetic friction forces is very simple, you just have to imagine a mass on an inclined plane or better still recall the experiments in Physics classes at school, technical college or university.

Mass has no effect on friction a heavy or light object on an inclined plane will both slide at the same angle.

Do I detect a problem with relying on old memories?  Actually, what was taught was that surface area has no effect on friction but mass does.  However, that was only true for static friction on smooth surfaces.  

On the road, wider softer tyres will grip better.  Note that In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4 seconds, Top Fuel dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's. 

Edited by Schtum
  • Like 1

I’ve just replaced all four tyres on my wife’s 2003 Focus. I wanted to fit all seasons and given its a 3 mile round trip a day, we decided some Budget tyres would be fine and had Rotalla Setula AllSeason fitted at our local Halfords. Total cost was £222 and I have to say, I’m really, really impressed. They’re quiet and grip really well in the wet and dry. Maybe worth a look @barnsleyboy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Schtum said:

Do I detect a problem with relying on old memories?  Actually, what was taught was that surface area has no effect on friction but mass does.  However, that was only true for static friction on smooth surfaces.  

Correct and for the example of a clutch plate then the greater the force (mass x acceleration) the greater the friction, for the breakaway of a tyre where the inclined plane experiment is appropriate then the mass cancels itself out as it is on both sides of the equation.

In any case the assertion questioned/challenged by several of us was that during cornering the mass loads up on a weaker tyre (whatever that means) resulting in less grip, even if it could miraculously load up it would not change the frictional grip according to me or would increase the frictional grip according to you, either way it was a daft statement put across in an authoritative manner.

• Haha 1