Skoda Superb Mk III, DSG problems

The car would unexpectedly drop into Neutral under braking at a junction or when parking, this would cause a dangerous lurch forward requiring immediate extra force onto the brake pedal.  

So for a while the car was back and fourth to the dealership. Although the 'fault' was present since we got the vehicle it was not so frequently occurring and difficult to replicate for the Technician. Eventually with persistence the Technician could eventually repeat the fault. This was December 2023. The vehicle has been at the garage now since early January 2024. The first diagnosis was a faulty mechatronic unit. This had to be ordered from the factory so some time passed until it was delivered. It was installed but this was not successful and the car brought up a gearbox error. I was then told a new gearbox was required! No real explanations as to why. So a further wait for a new gearbox to be made at the factory. As I write this today the DSG is being swapped out. (over two months and nearly three since the fault was recognised by the dealer).

• Sad 1

sorry to hear of your troubles, I am interested and concerned as I have the same model and year.

How many miles has your car done?

Are the Garage repairing your car under warranty ?

The cars milage is around 36k and far too early for this kind of issue I would say. Thankfully it's still in warranty. This is their chance to fix the issue. The communication has been very clear as to what the actual problem is and how its happened. Although if you look online for DSG problems it seems they are not uncommon.

Sometimes major units fail; they just do. The differential and gearbox were replaced under warranty on my first Skoda, a 2001 Octavia 1.6 Ambiante. It had 24k. I had a courtesy car for a month. They replaced the diff first because they thought that was the cause of the whine; it wasn’t, so they replaced the gearbox which fixed the issue. When they’re unsure what the cause of an issue is, It’s normal to first replace the cheapest associated unit which could be the cause. 

Update: We got the car back last week after the new components, was told that there would be a period for adaption, roughly 200 miles. Almost straight away the problems started again. So the car is once again back at the the dealership. Test drive with the Technician and the faults were replicated. He's stated that the cars not safe to drive. It's being escalated with Skoda Technical in the UK they should come look at the car or it gets transported to them in Milton Keynes to figure out what the root cause is and rectify it if possible. The major component change hasn't resolved the issue. I've got a meeting with the service manager on Friday to see what the next steps are. I have lost confidence in the car.

Edited by STEMAC
  • Sad 1

Sorry to read of your issues and hopefully you'll get a fair solution to this very unsatisfactory situation soon that'll allow you to trust and enjoy driving what I and many others believe are a great car.

Fingers crossed for you STEMAC 

Is there anyone else out there experiencing the issue on the PHEV models?

I have a the feeling that the dealer is going to say that this is just a characteristic of the vehicle

Sheesh.
PHEV or not; that is bloody dangerous and nothing to do with the model type. It’ll probably turn out to be a £50 selector switch, a weak spring or a failed notwhat.