Forced regen on Octavia VRS MK3 FL OBD11

simcor

Has anyone managed to figure out how to do this on a MK3.

I have the full pro VAG OBD11, I follow all the instructions on how to do a DPF regen while stationary and it will not work no matter how I try to do it.

Change mode to EOL and enter security code etc, but the instructions say after the first time to turn the engine off but with the ignition still on and starts steps 3 to 5 again, but you cannot turn the engine off without turning the key to the off position which is what I think is stopping it from working as it breaks the connection with OBD11.

I don't actually need to do one currently but want to know I can perform one if the need arises. I did DPF regens on my MG6 while I had it with Launch X431 (hooky version) no problem, I also did forced regens on my Focus when I had that with Ford IDS (hooky version) and they were so simple to force a regeneration.

I have half a tank of fuel, have got the car well up to temperature etc etc, I followed every instructions online where other VAG owners have got it to work.

Unless it will only work when the soot loading is above a certain amount?

Any ideas?

I'm more shooting in the dark ideas but you did put any and my posting might attract other more knowledgeable poster(s).

Have you checked your full pro VAG OBD11 is fully up to date for at least your model, if so checked with OBD11 company or if they have a user's forum looked or asked there.

Might be an oversight by OBD11, dare I suggest a programing error, oversight, omission by OBD11 company (apparently I do dare) but I've got no idea.  The car will have it's requirements to do stuff to itself and they'd need to be matched, plus the regen not interrupted, the tool needs to get requirements right too, I don't think all machines have it always spot on.

Good luck, let us know how you get on. 

Edited by nta16

Good idea I'll try the OBD 11 forum see if they can shed some light, if I find out I'll come back with what I find. Also updated to the latest version and is also full Vag pro subscription. 

Edited by simcor
  • Like 1

Seems the OBD 11 forum is a waste of time. Posted 2 days ago asking for advice not a single reply. 

Seems the most dead forum I've ever seen. 

• Sad 1

Still not even a single reply on OBD11 forum to my question. Forums really are useless without and dialogue from others, it's hard to understand why some ground exist when you don't even get any sorry can't help replies let alone a helpful reply. 

Beginning to wish I had gone down the VCDS route now tbh and not OBD11. 

Main reason I decided to go the route I did was ease of use and always having it on my phone and not having to use a laptop or a tablet to do stuff with the car. 

I've now emailed OBD 11 support to see if they can shed any light on this situation. 

• Like 1

TBF it was a OBD11 user that help me (I thought he was referring to OBD2 😄),  VCDS is VW specific so will resonant more to VW brands forums and websites, I don't know but assumed OBD11 wasn't VW specific sio wider but less depth appeal, plus OBD11 certainly looks more attractive and appealing to mas users.

Again I don't know but get the feeling from what I've read on here (not looked or researched though) OBD11 not being a legacy system isn't as detailed or accurate(?) system as VCDS plus of course the mighty "smart" phone (tablet, tray) is more appealing to modern eyes and use (I can't wait for the first AI scan tool. 😁)

Given the cost level of a generic scan tool to reliably be able to perform such as a regen (and as a pure guess only on VW computer programs) the VCDS is quite a bargain perhaps as with many things some promise but you want those that can deliver.

I've know garage level scan tool not be able to do more specific stuff (on a different makes of cars).

Only other suggestion I have is to perhaps try on the relevant model Octavia forum here, perhaps if not OBD11 advice they could give you other advice about regen.

Good luck.

OBD 11 is almost as good as VCDS in terms of functionality. It reads all ECU'S and does one click changes and long coding in much the same way as VCDS.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, simcor said:

does one click changes

I think this is the worry to some VCDS users, the one click, (I like one click and shortest least complicated paths with computers) that if the one click does the job fully and correctly and reliably.

I dislike "phones" as my eyes are wonky and weak and fingers too short and stubby and touchscreens don't like my skin or lack of eye to finger coordination plus I don't like relying on fading power supplies and screens you can't see in daylight let alone when the sun is out, and radio interference or reception.  A wired scan tool picking up its power from the car port from inside the darker weather protected car is more to my liking with thick selection bands for my thick fingers and thick me - but I can't afford a decent one and would begrudge it being bias towards VW.

A neighbour and I done a bit of research and fact finding for a mate's 1996 Ford Zetec 130 engine (that's wasn't in a Ford or had anything but engine electronics)  when my mate was given one (of the two) conector tails from his mate's old garage turn of the century Ford diagnostic machine (forget what it was called).  In the meantime another chap he knew that deals with old single seater Fords plugged his machine giving the same (very limited) results backing up what he said would be the problem, without even seeing the car, as it was so common, a straightforward part swap out - oh for such simple days.  😄

Ford were doing this stuff in the 1970s - but good uld BL had ideas in the late 60s(?) early 70s.  😄  German engineering, hah! -

1971: Is this the CAR of the FUTURE? | Tomorrow’s World | Retro Tech | BBC Archivehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Woz270D1HE

I have emailed OBD11 and have replied from them they seem interested in resolving my issue. Telling me to find instructions for my vehicle to perform a DPF regen. Telling e to go onto their forum etc. 

All the things I have already done and to no avail it seems no one anywhere ehas done as DPF regen on a MK3 vrs diesel Octavia. 

It's cost me substantial money for the dongle and 2 years now of Vag ultimate and I won't be renewing it again I wish I had bought VCDS now. 

So a warning that once they have your money they seem interested in any issues you may come across. Poor service in my opinion. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, simcor said:

So a warning that once they have your money they seem interested in any issues you may come across. Poor service in my opinion. 

I dont expect any more of any business in this day and age, TBH I was really surprised you got any response, if it came promptly, sounded very encouraging, upbeat and positive but in the end left you feeling as you do I would be 99% sure you have been dealing with an AI bot :sad:

Been there got the T-shirt I'm sorry to say.

Posted (edited)

Well doing some more research using VCDS instructions, it seems it is not always possible to do a forced regen, if the ash load is too high, or if the soot load is too low it also won't do a regen. 

My figures seem to be ok tbh even for mostly shortish trips so it must regen reasonably well most of the time. 

Ash load limit is 80g

Oil ash mass is 25.2g

Soot mass calculated 13.28g

Soot mass measured 2.25g

Oil ash volume 0.06 litres 

So I think on those figures last time I scanned the car it seems to be doing pretty well, it's now got a bit over 60k miles on it from memory. 

Reading about VCDS doing a forced regen also states ensuring that lights heated seats and windows are also turned on, which you had to do with Ford IDS now I've read that it reminded me, part of the forced regen prerequisites was putting the car under load to get it to regen. I ought try to try out the regen while driving function to see if I can force it to regen on a drive as well as that is also an option but I forgot what it's called something like service drive regen or something. 

It seems like a forced regen can only be done if the ECU figures allow it to be done, be nice to find some figures it needs to be at to do one. 

I also find it strange the manual mentions the dog light but turning my telly tale lights on it doesn't have one, and I've never seen any lights on dashboard associates with the dpf in just over a year of owning it. I know some cars did not have any dpf warning lights and would just flash the engine check light and or glow plugs light. Unless a message pops up in the maxi dot display of course with the dog symbol. 

It really is a shame that no manufacturer to my knowledge seemed to think, let's put a dpf light that comes on when it is doing a regen so you know it is for sure and can try to avoid interrupting it. 

I assume the ash load limit is the maximum ash limit of the filter?

Edited by simcor

Charge limit for service regen is 40g

Charge limit for field regen is 23.37g.

I assume that is the minimum soot loading figures to be able to start either if those forced regens, or if above those figures a forced regen cannot be done. 

I don't know VCDS or OBD11 or ash and soot figures or the calculations to change to other measures of them but other posters here do.

I do know it's always better, and not against any law as some blokes think, to read instructions including manuals before starting the job or use of tools - how good and useful some of these manuals are is a different matter.  Have a look at the car's owner's manual for which warning lights are on the car.

Ford IDS is what started the search for a scan tool for my mate's 1996 Zetec 130 engine and all the different leads for cars of the time and research I've forgotten now, they were doing electronics for F1 (or was it Grand Pricks then, I forget) but saw a video recently of Tomorrow's World with a 1971 BL Triumph car of the future with electronics on so that must go back to the 60s so it's all very old technology, not as ancient as IC though, so don't expect just because we're in the 21st century that the car manufacturer's have bothered progress either technologies that much.

If you do a regen on the move it has to be within the requirements otherwise it's start all over again with a break from requirements better I think is just to keep going with it when you next have a long journey to do and not believe the time scales given - but that's only based on a few vids I've seen and not any personal knowledge or experience. 

Good luck. 

In my experience the regens take care of themselves in normal driving conditions. I get one per tank of mixed driving every tank full since owning the car and having put 55k miles on it since purchase at 46k miles. 

Even if I interrupt a regen it still completes on the next journey fine. 

Your oil ash mass looks very similar to mine at around 60k miles as have logged it regularly.

I own VCDS and I understand it's tempting to understand how to carry out functions with software to hand "if the need arises", but as long as you notice regens occuring, and don't interrupt too often, DPF should be good for a good while yet. 

Of course, checking values with diagnostics will give you peace of mind it's doing what's supposed to. 

Edited by paulski

Indeed but knowing I can do one if I need to will save me a trip and cust to a dealer.