Cannot connect CarPlay - help!

judith_sw

At best, CarPlay was a bit unreliable in the car (2019 DSG), but a couple of weeks ago it completely stopped working, along with a bit of a burning smell. It turned out that the AdBlue module had gone and needed replacing. Asked Skoda to check the USB as part of the diagnostics, but they said it was working.

I can charge the phone fine via the USB slot but there is no data connection at all to the MMI now. The cable is new, data transfer one and MFI certified (and works in my other car).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might need to be done? If it’s just a new USB slot, then that’s easy enough, but don’t want to replace it unnecessarily if it might be something else.

It'll be the port most likely. Can you see some debris in it by any chance? Cleaning it might help, but make sure not to use any metal or conductive material as shorting the pins might cause a fuse to blow or permanently damage it.

Edited by MrSecretPotato

Thank you, I’ll double check this as soon as my husband gets home (- his car, daily driver, including two mucky dogs, so there is a chance of debris)!

Thanks both - I’ve cleaned it as best I can, including some compressed air, but no change unfortunately. Charges but no data connection. Skoda wanted about £150 to replace. Not sure if it’s a diy job or any coding required - photo attached of the port in question!

IMG_9833.jpeg

Edited by judith_sw
Adding photo

1 hour ago, Routemaster1461 said:

Had some trouble with my phone conecting to both our Karoq and our other car. Gave all of the connections, including inside the phone port and it seems to have solved the issue.

Sorry I missed something important. I used contact cleaner to clean all of the connections.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

Sorry I missed something important. I used contact cleaner to clean all of the connections.

I can pick some up from Screwfix later, just in case, but I’m thinking the whole port might need replacing now 😞

I'm fairly certain it's just a straight up module swap, no coding needed. If you would switch to the newer USB-C type, then you might need coding. Search "Skoda Karoq USB port" on eBay, you'll see a few results at around £40-50.

• Like 1

Do you have an original apple cable?  Found it was the only cable that worked 100% reliably in my car.

• Like 1

So, it may be fixed … well not properly but I’ve got it to work, thanks to @DSL and @sussamb’s suggestions in particular.  No newer cables work, even the MFI ones, and the only genuine Apple ones I have are USB-C. However … I tried a couple of old ones and they both work! One is Amazon Basics and the other is unbranded (may or may not be a genuine one,  can’t tell, but it’s old and yellowing).

Thank you all for your help. I might get a USB-A to C adapter to see if the genuine Apple ones work too. Really odd but now I have a happy husband who can use CarPlay again! 

Out of interest, if I replaced the current USB-A port with the newer dual USB-C one, would we likely have the same issue with cables? I’m sure the local Skoda garage or indie could do this. 

• Like 1