Reversing camera fitting

I believe i've found the correct camera for the Mk4 here:
https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/cameras-parts/oem-5e3827566a-rvc-rear-view-parking/

but prices for fitting it seem ridiculous, the highest i've had was £845 which seeing as the part can be bought for less than £300 is just a rip off!

Those nice guys at East yorkshire retro fit seem to be offering it for £495, but its a 5 hour drive away from South Wales 😞

has anyone found a fitter within driving distance of the valleys who is not wanting their customers to 'assume the position' ??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mczakk said:

I believe i've found the correct camera for the Mk4 here:
https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/cameras-parts/oem-5e3827566a-rvc-rear-view-parking/

but prices for fitting it seem ridiculous, the highest i've had was £845 which seeing as the part can be bought for less than £300 is just a rip off!

Those nice guys at East yorkshire retro fit seem to be offering it for £495, but its a 5 hour drive away from South Wales 😞

has anyone found a fitter within driving distance of the valleys who is not wanting their customers to 'assume the position' ??

I am sorry I do not know any one closer to you, but I can recommend East Yorkshire he did mine and did such a good job, including all the coding etc, you could always plan a day in Bridlington and stay over night (short holiday ! )

• Love it! 1

Has the dealer offered to install a rearview camera for any of you? Unfortunately, I have not found anyone in my country offering such a service.
If I understand correctly, the camera configuration can be lost after a software update?
Skoda has offered to install original cameras for other models, but when and if it will be offered for the Octavia model...

1 hour ago, kasparsc said:

Has the dealer offered to install a rearview camera for any of you? Unfortunately, I have not found anyone in my country offering such a service.
If I understand correctly, the camera configuration can be lost after a software update?
Skoda has offered to install original cameras for other models, but when and if it will be offered for the Octavia model...

As far as I have been told the dealers here in the UK don't offer a install, but I believe there is a couple of firms doing it as a

retro fit, but I was impressed with the firm that did mine (as mentioned in my last post) 

As far as the software up date, I had my car updated after the camera fitting and no problems  

• Like 1

If it wasn't chucking it down today I was going to install this Sinosmart plug& Pray unit (no coding required)  I bought from Aliexpress for £35.

Unless it clears up will have to wait until I get back from Scotland.

• Crying 1

1 hour ago, Winston_Woof said:

If it wasn't chucking it down today I was going to install this Sinosmart plug& Pray unit (no coding required)  I bought from Aliexpress for £35.

Unless it clears up will have to wait until I get back from Scotland.

AS far as I can see that wont work with the Mk4 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

I have a MY18 MK3 and for £35 worth a punt :)

But you are on the Mk4 group

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RADIOTWO said:

But you are on the Mk4 group

my apologies, I didn't realise there was model apartheid in place ;o)

oh camera option G may be (looking at the main sinosmart page at aliexpress) suitable for 2023 VAG group models. YMMV

15 hours ago, RADIOTWO said:

I am sorry I do not know any one closer to you, but I can recommend East Yorkshire he did mine and did such a good job, including all the coding etc, you could always plan a day in Bridlington and stay over night (short holiday ! )

yeah ten hours and 500 miles is a bit much, plus, i've been to bridlington , wouldn't call it a favourite holiday destination🤣😂

Have found a company in Cardiff offering the service though :)

• Sad 1

• Sponsor
1 hour ago, mczakk said:

yeah ten hours and 500 miles is a bit much, plus, i've been to bridlington , wouldn't call it a favourite holiday destination🤣😂

Have found a company in Cardiff offering the service though :)

You're about 15 years too late to enjoy a holiday in Bridlington 😂. The place isn't what it once was 

Posted (edited)

Now found this camera

https://www.carsystems.eu/skoda-octavia-nx-4-gen-rear-high-line-camera-kit-retrofit,id4406.html

Says its for a RHD mk4, but when I search the part number on tps or skoda-parts.com there are no results. 

Edit: OK the skoda part number on that website is for the head unit 🤦

Does anyone know if that part will fit? 

Just need to find a good auto electrician in south Wales to fit it! 

Edited by mczakk

41 minutes ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

That doesn't look like a factory camera, and it's almost the same price for the parts as it is for a factory spec camera supplied and fitted 🤮

Thanks for that, I can't find the factory spec camera anywhere! The only price I can find down here to have it fitted is over £800. 

Can't believe you're the only person in the UK that can do it at your price 😱

• Like 1

• Sponsor
9 hours ago, mczakk said:

Thanks for that, I can't find the factory spec camera anywhere! The only price I can find down here to have it fitted is over £800. 

Can't believe you're the only person in the UK that can do it at your price 😱

We're not greedy, and we enjoy what we do 😂

• Love it! 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

We're not greedy, and we enjoy what we do 😂

Found a guy down here who says he can do it for a reasonable price. I don't think you could count him as a competitor, there's probly room in the UK for two of your! He says he gets cameras from a factory in Germany, is that where you get yours by any chance

Edited by mczakk

• 1 month later...

I recently had a Rear Camera installed in my Mk4 VRS Hatch. 

I'm tech-confident but not take a car apart confident :D but found a company which travels and does it on your driveway, which might do well for you  :)

https://www.autologics.co.uk/Skoda-octavia-4-Reverse-camera 

The cost was £600, but I can't fault the lads. They've done an OEM job and have no issues at all. Had it installed about a month now :) 

18 minutes ago, Threshermaw said:

I recently had a Rear Camera installed in my Mk4 VRS Hatch. 

I'm tech-confident but not take a car apart confident :D but found a company which travels and does it on your driveway, which might do well for you  :)

https://www.autologics.co.uk/Skoda-octavia-4-Reverse-camera 

The cost was £600, but I can't fault the lads. They've done an OEM job and have no issues at all. Had it installed about a month now :)

So you have all the on screen functions that the oem has, and the washer function? 

Yes, to on-screen functions. Brightness, gamma, and dynamic lines that move with the wheel all work as expected from OEM. Works in conjunction with my front and rear parking sensors, too.

My car doesn't have a rear wiper and, hence, no washer jet for the window, so the camera doesn't have a washer jet to clean. I clean my car pretty regularly, so this isn't a deal breaker for me personally. 

Unless you're a dab hand at some plumbing I'm not sure any retrofitted will want to take that task on

• Sponsor
1 hour ago, Threshermaw said:

Yes, to on-screen functions. Brightness, gamma, and dynamic lines that move with the wheel all work as expected from OEM. Works in conjunction with my front and rear parking sensors, too.

My car doesn't have a rear wiper and, hence, no washer jet for the window, so the camera doesn't have a washer jet to clean. I clean my car pretty regularly, so this isn't a deal breaker for me personally. 

Unless you're a dab hand at some plumbing I'm not sure any retrofitted will want to take that task on

Its easily done, just additional costs that most customers won’t want to pay 

I'm sure it is. But am I correct in thinking that there is no piping for the camera washer if the rear wiper isn't installed? I thought the camera washer using the pipework for the rear window washer and is tapped in.

• Sponsor
Posted (edited)
On 30/04/2024 at 14:10, Threshermaw said:

I'm sure it is. But am I correct in thinking that there is no piping for the camera washer if the rear wiper isn't installed? I thought the camera washer using the pipework for the rear window washer and is tapped in.

There's no piping for vehicles without a rear washer, however we keep genuine hose and fittings in stock as we connect the washer on cars with a rear wiper.

Edited by East_Yorkshire_Retrofits

Just to add another dimension, no Australian delivered Octavia hatches have a rear wiper or even an option to specify one. But the rear camera washer is standard. The annoying thing is, you have to go into the camera menu to activate the camera washer because we don't have the rear washer specific stalk.

Screenshot2024-05-01at8_53_24AM.thumb.png.19a27129272c037466d13ebc2c060300.png

I wonder how feasible it would be to add a rear washer motor and wiper? I've got water piped to the back.

@aaaaplayall you'd need is a European spec tailgate and wiper stalk 😂🤣😂

I'm guessing you don't fancy drilling a big hole in your rear window! 

I've found a company who will fit the own camera and joint in the washer jet, so I think I'm leaving the search for pipe 😜