Usb sticks and media playing

Hi all,

Been over 6 months since I've talked media on USB and after my journey yesterday I think I need to revisit. Getting bit fed up with time it takes after starting car for system to index media before you can use voice commands like "select album".

My current setup is one big usb with 1 partition and maybe 200+ albums. Probably equates to 10k+ songs.

Has anyone tried setting up more than one partition on usb and splitting media across them to see if:

1. Mib3 can handle multiple partitions on 1 usb stick

2. Does it speed anything up.

Ask this as historical posts have stated people have more success with speed on smaller sticks like 32gb. 

Thanks

I don't use USB as play music from my phone. But, I'm not sure that the car will recognise multiple partitions on a USB drive as it will most likely regard it as JBOD (Just a Big Old Disk) with a single partition. I am interested why you are taking this approach rather than phone / bluetooth - is it quantity of media, quality (FLAC ?), speed, no space on phone, other? I currently have 36Gb of Spotify tracks on my phone and works quite quickly & easily.

Posted (edited)

Mainly because I'm old and don't see why I should have to pay for spotify premium to play music I've already purchased via another source.

If it was a couple of £ a month I would pay for spotify but not £10.99 when I only really listen in the car.

If I played music all the time it would be more worth it. Had trials in the past and I just ended up setting up a couple of playlists and listening to the same songs over and over. I don't need the Taylor swift or Ed sheeran new song suggestions

Last time I listened to music on my phone was over 3 months ago when I had to catch a train 

Edited by Novascape
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Novascape said:

Mainly because I'm old and don't see why I should have to pay for spotify premium to play music I've already purchased via another source.

Perfectly good reason! Until I subscribed to Spotify (forced into it by the kids), I loaded my music from CD / vinyl onto my [Android] phone and then used Poweramp as the front end player. Works really well and you can create playlists rather than just being able to play albums (depending on what you need/want). If your phone can take a MicroSD storage card then even better as almost unlimited storage.

I'm using a 64gb stick without partitioning and it works fine, although I have no more than about 15gb of music on it currently. Rather than using albums I've set up my own self-titled compilation folders to hold tracks I've taken off CD's or from my iTunes library, selected mostly by genre so it mixes things up a bit. I don't generally stick to albums, after two or three songs by one artist I like a change - with a few exceptions.

Folders are saved to the USB root and appear on the screen exactly in the order I've titled them. I did the same in my previous cars with HD and/or SD card slot. In terms of hardware, USB is a bit of a backward step imo, but works just the same. I find VC too fickle, so never use it.

I have a neat tip for playing music from a phone - install the USB Audio app on your phone - it costs money but it works well and it gives you a far more detailed equaliser with the option of a parametric equaliser for an additional £2 or something. It's also good for headphones listening using a DAC dongle.

Thats the music as?...I have mine on a SD card (MK7 Golf)....one basic partition & all as lossless MP3....

The MIB systems slow down if you have lots of folders...

2 hours ago, mccririck said:

Lossless MP3?

Lazy on my part....

Actually a fixed 320kbps LAME encoded MP3....which is "Lossy"....the best quality you can have in MP3...

7 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

Lazy on my part....

Actually a fixed 320kbps LAME encoded MP3....which is "Lossy"....the best quality you can have in MP3...

Yeah, I use FLAC. It can play 24 bit 48kHz FLAC. (It can play 96kHz but I think it down samples to 48)

9 hours ago, mccririck said:

Yeah, I use FLAC. It can play 24 bit 48kHz FLAC. (It can play 96kHz but I think it down samples to 48)

I have FLAC (right up to 192kHz 24 bit studio masters for home, & even thought I have the optional Dynaudio speaker package in my MK7 Golf, its not the right environment for high quality/perfect listening, which is why I settled for fix bit rate LAME MP3 "lossy"

13 hours ago, Dimex said:

Hello .  How to watch videos on Columbus?

I have done it by putting the mp4 file on a usb stick, use the media player to browse to it and play.

Video is only shown when the vehicle is stationary - but the audio plays continuously.

Massively distracting!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

I have done it by putting the mp4 file on a usb stick, use the media player to browse to it and play.

Video is only shown when the vehicle is stationary - but the audio plays continuously.

Massively distracting!

Hello. I may have downloaded the wrong video, but instead of the video I can only hear sound. The car stands still.

23 hours ago, Dimex said:

Hello. I may have downloaded the wrong video, but instead of the video I can only hear sound. The car stands still.

Screenshot2024-03-08at09-11-55Skoda.png.f2c63d7282c70067680294657079666d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The file I've used was actually a .m4v filetype with MPEG-4 H.264 CODEC - screenshot format red QuickTime Player 'file info' pane...

image.jpeg.dcccd2dd937b76c4b1fa59f04cf8c0af.jpeg

Hope that help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the forum but am now on my 3rd Skoda (Yeti, Karoq, Kodiaq). My Karoq happily played music from my 64 gb sd card and my iPod Classic. Start the car and music was there virtually instantly. Now I have my shiny new Kodiaq and... the sd card slot has gone, it won't recognise my iPod classic at all, it will recognise my iPod Touch but that takes several minutes to load and defaults to playing the second track on ABBA Gold, not the first! It will play music from a thumb drive but, again, takes ages to load. I expect things to get better not worse in a new car, am I alone in having these problems?

By the way yes my phone works fine to play music but that is not the point of this post.

Random non related thought, my Karoq had a light in the boot that was also a removable torch, nice touch but gone from the Kodiaq!

When the vehicle is stationery select the video and press play.

When the sound starts pull the tab on the left of the screen to the right to see the video.