Using Android Auto

Hi all, 

Picked up my new Kodiaq on the 1st March and absolutely love it.  😁 

The dealership (White Dove - Cardiff) were great but all the staff seemed to be iOS users so not that knowledgeable about Android phones. 

I was wondering the best way to use Android Auto (AA) with the 8" (Amundsen?)  infotainment or how most people use it?   Do you use a cable 

or Bluetooth via Smart Link? 

If I have Bluetooth connected then plug in my phone via USB I get a error every few seconds about the USB type being incorrect.  My phone is a Samsung S23 Ultra running the latest version of Android. 

Apart from Waze and possibly Spotify and I can't see any other compelling reason to use AA

Be good to hear your thoughts and experiences. 

Many thanks 

Dave

This is not really specific to Kodiaq forums but I could not see a general forum. 🙄

On 05/03/2024 at 14:19, thedavegray said:

Hi all, 

Picked up my new Kodiaq on the 1st March and absolutely love it.  😁 

The dealership (White Dove - Cardiff) were great but all the staff seemed to be iOS users so not that knowledgeable about Android phones. 

I was wondering the best way to use Android Auto (AA) with the 8" (Amundsen?)  infotainment or how most people use it?   Do you use a cable 

or Bluetooth via Smart Link? 

If I have Bluetooth connected then plug in my phone via USB I get a error every few seconds about the USB type being incorrect.  My phone is a Samsung S23 Ultra running the latest version of Android. 

Apart from Waze and possibly Spotify and I can't see any other compelling reason to use AA

Many thanks 

Dave

This is not really specific to Kodiaq forums but I could not see a general forum. 🙄

The 23 series are notorious to not work with older software versions on the Skoda infotainment systems. I have a 2022 octavia & when i first got it, my Samsung 23+ would always throw up an error on the infotainment screen when I connected it to the car using a cable. I don't have wireless andoid auto as a feature in my car.

But I ended up taking it to the dealers and they updated the infotainment software under warranty for free and now it works with no issues.

In your case I would try a different cable first (Im using the original cable that came with the phone). If not then I'm it's a software update issue that just needs updating.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2024 at 12:19, thedavegray said:

As above reply, I never hard wire, always use wireless for Android Auto. It throws a few wobblies now and again but that seems par for the course, no matter what car / phone you have.  It's called technological progess by anyone under 40 years old, the over 40's call it a pain-in-the-ar5e.

AA use?  I can download music players that are better than the standard system. Spotify is the best if you're subscribed but if using the 'free' version I think Amazon Music is better.  WhatsApp is great. It'll read out any new incoming messages and it's dead easy to send a reply ( obviously by voice when your driving ). I'm not that keen on Waze to be honest but I do use Google maps.

I've read of some S models have issues but most Samsung phones from Android 10 onwards could connect wirelessly without issue. I think most other manufacturers required Android 11.   

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

On 08/03/2024 at 21:59, GreenlineIIEstate said:

I connect my S23 Ultra wirelessly for android auto. Get the odd incident when it disconnects but instantly reconnects so I don't find it a problem.

Hello

I drove about 20 miles the other day with the cable S23 connected via UsbC - no issues.  On the way back I had to pull into a layby and unplug the the phone as it was 

causing the infotainment screen to go thru some sort of reset loop (blank screen, beep, message saying connecting).  

Sort of makes it difficult to just plug the phone in and charge it.  I'm sure my old Google pixel used to allow the usb port to be just for charging (non-data) but I can't 

see it in the options, might be in the developer options if I switch them back on. 

Thanks 

On 09/03/2024 at 00:30, aboali said:

The 23 series are notorious to not work with older software versions on the Skoda infotainment systems. I have a 2022 octavia & when i first got it, my Samsung 23+ would always throw up an error on the infotainment screen when I connected it to the car using a cable. I don't have wireless andoid auto as a feature in my car.

But I ended up taking it to the dealers and they updated the infotainment software under warranty for free and now it works with no issues.

In your case I would try a different cable first (Im using the original cable that came with the phone). If not then I'm it's a software update issue that just needs updating.

Hello

Do you know how to see the currently installed version of the infotainment system?  Could do with knowing this before ringing and and booking in for an update. 

Thanks 

On 09/03/2024 at 00:30, aboali said:

Hi, 

That's annoying that the Samsung S23 phones are an issue for AA.  It's not like they are cheap phones 🤔

I'm going to ring the dealer later and moan at them as it really became apparent on Sat that I basically cannot have my S23 plugged into the car without the info screen 

going into meltdown. 

Thanks 

21 minutes ago, thedavegray said:

Hello

I drove about 20 miles the other day with the cable S23 connected via UsbC - no issues.  On the way back I had to pull into a layby and unplug the the phone as it was 

causing the infotainment screen to go thru some sort of reset loop (blank screen, beep, message saying connecting).  

Sort of makes it difficult to just plug the phone in and charge it.  I'm sure my old Google pixel used to allow the usb port to be just for charging (non-data) but I can't 

see it in the options, might be in the developer options if I switch them back on. 

Thanks 

Get a cigarette lighter adaptor and charge only from that rather than the built in USB socket. Seeemples :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thedavegray said:

Hello

Do you know how to see the currently installed version of the infotainment system?  Could do with knowing this before ringing and and booking in for an update. 

Thanks 

Not entirely sure what the system on your car is like but I assume it's not too far off.

For me i had to hold down the menu button for several seconds which led me to the screen in the attached picture. From there went into system update/versions, and there it shows the software version you're running 

20240311_172703.jpg

• Like 1