Map light .....

Hi, we used the two map lights in our 2015 Fabia for the first time I think, and I'm worried that I may have left the map lights on when I exited the car at an airport car park. As the car is parked for some days, I am wondering if anyone knows if the map lights go off when the car is switched off and locked up? If not the battery will be flat! 

Thanks!

Edited by OldKaroq
Spelling...

I think that all the interior lights get switched off when the associated controller "goes to sleep" maybe 20 minutes (or less) after the ignition has been switched off - certainly the normal interior lights get switched off after a short time, even if a door is left open.

I would make a lot of sense if the map lights get switched off after the doors are closed and the car gets locked - like the normal interior lights.

Just something to nag you while you are away!

I have noticed them on when I next got in the car but they may have been off in the interim period, thinking about it in my usual optimist manner, they are very dim lights, if I could see they were on when in the car it must have been dark or dusk and logic says under those conditions I would have seen their illumination when approaching the car.

I will do a test for you which hopefully will allow you to relax!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rum4mo said:

Just something to nag you while you are away!

Exactly right! 

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I have noticed them on when I next got in the car but they may have been off in the interim period, thinking about it in my usual optimist manner, they are very dim lights, if I could see they were on when in the car it must have been dark or dusk and logic says under those conditions I would have seen their illumination when approaching the car.

I will do a test for you which hopefully will allow you to relax!

That would be great, thank you!!

One of those one offs - using something for a first time and when it cannot be rectified until too late! 

@OldKaroq

I just tested my vehicle and am pleased to say that both map reading lights went out immediately when I locked the car using the remote keyfob, so I reckon you can relax, they are unlikely to have gone backwards with a sensible feature like that.

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

@OldKaroq

I just tested my vehicle and am pleased to say that both map reading lights went out immediately when I locked the car using the remote keyfob, so I reckon you can relax, they are unlikely to have gone backwards with a sensible feature like that.

J.R. - thank you SO much!!

Peace of mind, I can sleep soundly again!

Very much appreciated! 

• Like 1

Just checked with my wife's 2015 Fabia and can confirm previous findings. the map lights will remain on after opening the car again as their switches are locked on, requiring only a push of each switch to turn them off again.

13 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Just checked with my wife's 2015 Fabia and can confirm previous findings. the map lights will remain on after opening the car again as their switches are locked on, requiring only a push of each switch to turn them off again.

The fact that the map lights have to be physically switched on was the rationale behind my suggesting they’d remain on. Be interesting to hear fro OP when he gets back

15 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

The fact that the map lights have to be physically switched on was the rationale behind my suggesting they’d remain on. Be interesting to hear fro OP when he gets back

This is overridden by the program of locking the car, I checked twice that the (manually) switched on map lights went out when the car was locked using the remote keyfob.  The computer programs do have their uses and can get somethings right - but too many uses and too few useful in my miserable, moany, old-farts opinion.

The battery will discharge a bit but hopefully not enough to cause any issues and it won't have anything to do with the map lights so OldKaroq can continue with peace of mind and sound sleep. 😌

On 18/03/2024 at 19:19, nta16 said:

This is overridden by the program of locking the car, I checked twice that the (manually) switched on map lights went out when the car was locked using the remote keyfob.  The computer programs do have their uses and can get somethings right - but too many uses and too few useful in my miserable, moany, old-farts opinion.

The battery will discharge a bit but hopefully not enough to cause any issues and it won't have anything to do with the map lights so OldKaroq can continue with peace of mind and sound sleep. 😌

Im back!!

Good news for me (and everyone else). I had left the map lights on, and as been stated correctly, the lights go off by locking the car, coming back on when the car is next used. So yes, on this occasion, Clever Skoda.

If it had not been getting light when parking up at the airport, unpacking suitcases in torrential rain and wind whilst looking for a shuttle bus stop I would probably remembered to switch them off.

Thank you to all that replied and commented, I did sleep soundly after this and the Fabia fired up immediately as expected!

• Like 3