1.6 TDI manual gearbox whining

My 2018 Octavia with 85Kw 1.6 TDI engine and 5-speed manual gearbox has whining noise. It happens with all gears and is more audible in certain speed. For example, it is loudest with 3rd gear at 60 km//h or if I engine break at 85 km/h with 5th gear. The noise is clearly coming from the gearbox area. My car had clutch replaced last summer and mechanic also changed gearbox oil but it did not affect the noise. It sounds like turbo but it's coming from the gearbox area. I currently have 174000 kilometers.

I still have couple months of warranty left and booked a time for a mechanic. However, I started listening to POV videos in Youtube and they seem have the exact same noise. It is even coming from the left side of the headphones which is the side where gearbox is. What is this whining noise with 1.6 TDI engines and manual gearboxes? Is it a characteristic or a fault?

For example, these videos clearly have the same noise if you listen carefully with headphones:

2 minutes and 40 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOz8RngUF6E&t=160s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOz8RngUF6E&t=160s

3 minutes and 46 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg05G0zmfCM&list=LL&index=5&t=225s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg05G0zmfCM&list=LL&index=5&t=225s

It sounds even louder in those videos. I tried to take a video myself but couldn't really record the whining noise. There were too much road and engine noise. 

Hello, welcome to the forum. I was not aware that there was a M5 version. My M6 gearbox is silent in all gears.

If the noise is noticeable while driving, I'd suggest that a bearing was in the process of failing - or a gear tooth is chipped.  

I have the same thing, same noise, same car with 5 speed manual...i think its been like this at least 30k kms. Was planning to change gearbox oil but I never got to it. I am not planning on taking it apart or anything, first I will change the oil then we will see. I was also suspecting its gearbox as mine is acting up when downshifting sometimes, but not sure. I have watched a russian mecahinic explaining in video a while ago where he said those M5 are notorious for breaking unless you change oil. Supposedly you should do it before 100k on the clock. I guess I am pushing my luck at this point at 119k. :) But then again, you are at well over that mileage so I may still have time... :D 

20 minutes ago, Tivan said:

I have the same thing, same noise, same car with 5 speed manual...i think its been like this at least 30k kms. Was planning to change gearbox oil but I never got to it. I am not planning on taking it apart or anything, first I will change the oil then we will see. I was also suspecting its gearbox as mine is acting up when downshifting sometimes, but not sure. I have watched a russian mecahinic explaining in video a while ago where he said those M5 are notorious for breaking unless you change oil. Supposedly you should do it before 100k on the clock. I guess I am pushing my luck at this point at 119k. :) But then again, you are at well over that mileage so I may still have time... :D 

Yeah. I found some people saying that they had noisy gearbox even in new Skodas. I had the same noise at 160000km and it is still the same at 174000km. Gearbox oil was good and new oil did not affect the sound. I would probably try RVS if I didn't have warranty left. The whine in the videos might just be the characteristic of the gearbox. 

The whining at 80km/h - 85km/h is actually more worrying. I noticed that gearbox whines even if I press the clutch or set gear to neutral. Maybe it's the differential whining. Whining disappears if speed drops down to 79 km/h. 

Just to give my 5ct. being not in the UK, OIII 2014, 1.6TDI

I had my 5 speed 0A4 gearbox repaired under warrantee at 75k km because of the noise, especially in the cold morning, clearly heard first 200metters drive.

at first visit to the garage they add 100ml oil and said in most boxes is was the reason. However, not in mine. then they replaced four bearings inside... but never less, it appears that the same gearbox is not very new, and on the latest models has been tilted by 12deg causing bearings not to be covered by oil level enough good, hence similar noise is coming.  

Same noise came back to me after another 40k km, then simply add 100mL 75W grade oil and noise gone, however it was what I experienced in my case.

Not to claim 100% proper information: I have read that the recommendation was to fill 2.3l oil instead 1.9l originally and found another VW  recommendation (true old, but seems very relevant to) to use oil with spec G 055 726 A2 for 0A4 gearbox.

Recently, I changed the gearbox oil with Castrol V one, 2.3l added after full drain (taking out the fork pin), so far so good, almost no recognizable difference when change gears

Edited by mag_kiril

Two experienced mechanics investigated and test drove the car today. They stated that gearbox and bearings are fine but gearbox mounts are worn. That probably increases transmission noises and causes vibrations and resonance. 

I will get new engine and transmission mounts in couple weeks. It's amazing that the car has 175000 kilometers and I still don't have to pay anything. So far I have gotten new clutch, transmission oil and fuel lid lock for free.

Posted (edited)

I watched so many POV videos for Skoda Octavia, Skoda Superb and VW Passat with EA288 (1.6 & 2.0 TDI) engines and manual gearbox. They all seem to have the same whine as long as good quality microphone has been used for recording. 2.0 TDI engines have bigger gearbox and still whine. One of the POV cars had 40k kilometers so the gearbox wasn't probably very worn yet either. 

Could it be the engine that is whining and not the gearbox? The whine at 80-85 km/h even with clutch depressed might be something else though. And the dealership stated that they found something wrong with the transmission mounts.

Edited by Lare111

Potential for it to be the thrust/input shaft bearing that is failing.  It will make a noise in any gear.  Does the noise go away when you press in the clutch pedal?

If so, its a clutch out job.  Best get the dual mass flywheel replaced whilst you are there too.  Best to go for original VAG parts.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

Potential for it to be the thrust/input shaft bearing that is failing.  It will make a noise in any gear.  Does the noise go away when you press in the clutch pedal?

If so, its a clutch out job.  Best get the dual mass flywheel replaced whilst you are there too.  Best to go for original VAG parts.

Whining happens in all gears but only in certain RPM range. It disappears when I press clutch. However, at 80-85 km/h there is still whine with clutch depressed. Then whining disappears if I accelerate. My car has single mass flywheel. Clutch and gearbox oil were replaced last year and it did made no difference to the whine. 

This Passat with 60k kilometers makes the same noise. You can hear at for example at 2 minutes and 10 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWCC0AqTQVU

And this Octavia with 2.0 TDI engine and bigger 6-speed gearbox whines at 8 minutes and 25 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2keaYllnPBA&t=530s

For now I think the whining in all gears at certain RPM is normal since all of these POV videos have the same noise. I'm just worried what is causing the same noise at 80 - 85 km/h even with the clutch depressed. 

• 2 weeks later...

The dealership replaced engine and transmission mounts. Especially one of them was in very bad shape. Now the whining is pretty much gone. It feels almost weird to drive without whining. Engine noise and vibrations are also reduced and car feels quieter. 

So, no transmission rebuild is needed. I also did not have to pay anything 🙂

Was that 'grinding' noise as you changed gear - especially on downshift - or all the time? 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Was that 'grinding' noise as you changed gear - especially on downshift - or all the time? 

It was actually more like rattling or chatter. It was audible in neutral and disappeared if I pressed the clutch. Mechanic also found some grinding noise when he listened with a stethoscope. However, there were no extra noises when driving.

Refurbished gearbox will be installed in 3 weeks. It has new bearings, oil and seals. It would have cost me almost 3000€ but extended warranty will cover it 100%.

Edited by Lare111
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

New gearbox fitted and nothing has changed. Rattling noise/knocking on idle and whining and grinding when driving. Engine braking especially makes horrible noises. 

Edited by Lare111

On 02/04/2024 at 17:04, Lare111 said:

My car has single mass flywheel.

💡💡💡